DNF on one of my caches

katiesmom

I have a silly question. Someone went out to one of my caches this weekend and I got a DNF

notice. I went out to check on it and it's still there - nicely tucked into its hiding spot. Should I

contact the person who got a DNF and say that I checked on it and it's still there? Do you give them

a hint (in addition to the hint in the cache)? Or do you ignore it? I'm new to hiding caches and don't

know the proper thing to do. Thanks! :laughing:

I think there is a percentage of cachers who don't log DNF's, unless they are just plain ticked off about not finding it. I hate to admit that I couldn't find one, but I DO log it. Most often it's "I made a reasonable attempt, but didn't spot it" kinda thing. Sometimes it's more like "I spent 1/2 hour looking *everywhere* it could possibly be & unless it's a really tricky one it might need a checkup". I always try to be friendly & polite and to give an idea of how/where I looked- it can save someone having to check on a cache when they don't need to.

I've found caches that have a recent DNF logged, but I don't usually go looking for one that has 4-6 of them in a row over the last 9-12 months.

Edit:

Oh, & I don't expect anyone to go screaming out to a cache site just because I made a lame search. If 2 or 3 DNF's in a row come in, it might be time to check on it and/or increase it's difficulty rating.

This is the last DNF that I logged:

"This one might need a checkup. Coords were dead-on in the middle of the street. Checked bushes on both sides of the road, didn't look like a gallon container was in them. There is a depression in the ground right next to the telephone pole with evidence that big weeds once inhabited the spot. There has been fire & clearing of that area."

It had been 5 months since the last Found log. Maybe 5 months worth of leaves under the bushes has made it harder to spot then it was intended (I don't think that you should have to bring a rake & pitchfork in order to locate a cache, so I *won't* leave an area looking like that is what has been done). I'm pretty sure that the cache WAS next to the pole, in the depression- if it was then there is no need to check on it, just archive it. By giving some kind of description as to what you saw/did while not finding it you give the cache owner an idea of whether it's really gone or if you just overlooked it (and we have all overlooked some pretty easy ones, LOL)

Edited by fastforty

I don't usually check on my caches after the first DNF. I guess if I can, I'm in the area, etc. I would. But after too many instances of the cache being there even after people make strong statements that it couldn't possibly be there, I reserve judgement until 2 or 3 DNF's come in. Of course every cache is different. If it's a super easy cache, I'll check on it sooner than a difficult one.

Like everyone else said, if I check on the cache, I'll post a maintenance note. Even if I go by a cache sometime or other just to check it for no reason, I'll post a maintenance note describing what I did and the condition of the cache. I think that helps people in general to be happy and confident that the cache is ok, and encourages them to go find it.

Edited by Ambrosia

DNF's are a normal part of caching.

It is good that you are "ready and raring" to check out a DNF (and perhaps worried about it going missing) but after a while you get to where a single DNF doesn't mean much.

If I get several, with no finds in between, I will temporarily disable and go 'ave a look. But just a single DNF, even if the screenname says "52,453 found," isn't really of that much importance.

I will give it a lot more weight if there are specifics in the log that tell me for sure that they looked in the right place.

On the cache page go to "Log your visit" and select owner maintainence. Write something like" Went to the cache and it was still there in good condition" That way everyone will be abvle to see youve checked and its still there.

That's what I would do. Personally I'd wait for at least a second DNF before checking it. If I checked after every DNF, that's all I'd be doing.

I have a silly question. Someone went out to one of my caches this weekend and I got a DNF

notice. I went out to check on it and it's still there - nicely tucked into its hiding spot. Should I

contact the person who got a DNF and say that I checked on it and it's still there? Do you give them

a hint (in addition to the hint in the cache)? Or do you ignore it? I'm new to hiding caches and don't

know the proper thing to do. Thanks! :D

I think everyone agrees that DNF's are part of the game, but I'd like to stress that you should NOT send a "spoiler" to the cacher unless they ask. Most people get an extra little bit of satisfaction by finding it without extra hints, and an unsolicited spoiler would ruin that.