Swag in Your own Cache

You'll probably get a variety of answers. Personally, If I saw something that I liked, I'd trade for it. You'll find that you will have to 'freshen' your caches from time to time. What starts out as a cache full of quality swag, ends up as a collection of wet business cards, broken McToys, inkless pens, erasers and other useless stuff. I don't make daily trips to my caches to see what cool stuff is in them, but if I were performing a maintenance visit, and saw something that I wanted, I would trade for it.

Generally, if you are pulling the cache permanently, all the swag is yours to keep. Otherwise, feel free to trade it out as you would at any cache. Trade up or trade even. However, I think you will generally find that you are doing more -cleaning and restocking. Just to keep it up.

No need to trade for any trackable you find in any cache yours or somebody elses - just pick it up and move it on.

I've been struggling with the sag in my cache since I turned 40. :laughing:

As far as trading swag in your own caches, why not? I don't see anything wrong with it.

I have left an item or two in caches that were intended for the owner as a thank you for the cache.

I usually put them in a ziplock with a note that says it's for the cache owner and send them an email to let them know there is a special item in the cache for them!

If there is a trackable in my cache I will take it if I can move it along. If there is some swag I really like, I will trade for it just as if I were a regular finder.

Once I retire a cache I consider what is inside mine. Usually most of it goes in the trash anyway as they tend to fill up with garbage, but if there is anything good I will put it out in new cache or keep it if it is something I can use.

There is nothing wrong with it -but I think it disturbs the natural occurences of the game and should be left alone for the next busy finder to be delighted. I want the best experiences for my seekers. I do feel the need to get rid of anything I don't want in my caches. If I don't like it - it coming out of there. Things I don't like usually would insult/offend the seeker.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

... can you take the travel bugs, prizes etc.

Travel bugs should not be taken, they should be moved along. If one sat in my cache for a while, I might go get it and help it on its journey.

Swag is for the next cacher to trade, but it could be yours as well. You put stuff in that others have traded for. Thus it is yours. But I find I have to refresh (restock) my cache every so often instead of pulling out tons of cool trade swag.