Travel Bugs that Cachers keep for months, and months...

bothynights

Hello all,

So, there are lots of big problems in the world - so this hardly compares to those. However, one cacher has had 2 of my TB's for over 6 months - and they also have had others in their possession for 8 months...I've tried emailing repeatedly, no response.

However, they are still actively caching - with daily visits to geocaching site, and over 1200 caches logged...

How do I get them to release my TB's :shocked: Or can I report them...

Thanks!

Guilty :laughing:

I will admit that i have held on to some TB's for some time.

But even if i keep them with me, i do log them in to all of the Caches that i find. I would usually apologise to the owner too.

The only one that i kept for a very long time i did make a point of completing the bugs mission...

I also currently have 2 Geo Coins that i have had, with the owners permission, for about 4 Weeks and will be keeping to trade with an American friend who will be in Europe at the end of the month. (Both coins have a mission to get to the US).

I can understand your frustration though.

E-mail your reviewer and ask them to give them a gentle reminder...

Happy Caching

Ljay

I'm moving your thread from "Geocaching Topics" over to "The Travel Bug" forum.

In passing, I note that the prior post gives advice with which I do not agree. Volunteer CACHE Reviewers do not have jurisdiction over people who hold onto travel bugs. In other words, we're not the travel bug police. Please don't contact your reviewer, as all you'll get is "I'm sorry about your travel bugs."

And, I *am* sorry about your travel bugs. Been there myself, with a bug held hostage intentionally for well over a year.

... one cacher has had 2 of my TB's for over 6 months - and they also have had others in their possession for 8 months...I've tried emailing repeatedly, no response....they are still actively caching - with daily visits to geocaching site, and over 1200 caches logged...

Sympathy, sympathy...

It is very frustrating, isn't it? One tactic I have used in the past (with success) is to try and see whether the cacher concerned regularly goes caching with any other cacher. Then I send a very polite email to the other saying "I'm sure it's just an oversight, but X has had one of my TBs for over 6 months now. My small son/aged granny/favourite cat* is so disappointed that their TB has stopped travelling. Do you think you could possible remind him/her to drop it off into a cache soon?

MrsB :laughing:

*delete as appropriate

My TB, Throw Me a Bone has spent the past 5 months in the hands of a cacher who only discovered it when they picked it up. Didn't actually 'grab' it until they realized they couldn't log it online without putting it in their inventory first.

Then, the cacher didn't even choose a large enough cache...so he/she left it outside. I hope it's at least covered up next to the cache container so the next person along finds it. Yes, it's kinda big...and at least it's mostly weather resistant.

I sent a couple friendly e-mails...with no response from them. I did alter the name of the bug to include the text "(stolen??)" in case someone found it and wanted to 'discover' it...only to realize that it hadn't been documented.

At least the cacher took it across the country and got some miles under it. Still, I would have liked to have seen them put it out after maybe 2 months (lol...'cause that's about how long I keep bugs sometimes).

Then, the cacher didn't even choose a large enough cache...so he/she left it outside. I hope it's at least covered up next to the cache container so the next person along finds it. Yes, it's kinda big...and at least it's mostly weather resistant.

Sadly, the increasing proportion of smaller cache containers in the last few years has made it such that larger TBs are increasingly harder for TB carriers to place. In fact, when I attend events and there's a "TB table", like most folks I specifically target the smaller TBs to take and carry with me for upcoming placement.

Rule of thumb for new TBs to be released, IMHO: Keep 'em small, and place them in a snack-size Ziploc baggie so that they're "big" enough not to be accidentally lost/misplaced, while still small enough to be folded up for placement in a smaller container. And I always put any small TBs that I find/grab into a snack-size Ziploc baggies before I place them again, as a public service.

Edited by drat19

Sadly, the increasing proportion of smaller cache containers in the last few years has made it such that larger TBs are increasingly harder for TB carriers to place. In fact, when I attend events and there's a "TB table", like most folks I specifically target the smaller TBs to take and carry with me for upcoming placement.

Rule of thumb for new TBs to be released, IMHO: Keep 'em small, and place them in a snack-size Ziploc baggie so that they're "big" enough not to be accidentally lost/misplaced, while still small enough to be folded up for placement in a smaller container. And I always put any small TBs that I find/grab into a snack-size Ziploc baggies before I place them again, as a public service.

Funny, I was going to say that because of the increased number of caches of all types and all sizes everywhere it amazingly easy to drop off almost any TB fairly quickly. Now, If I could just find time to go caching!

I personally don't contact a holder for at least three months. Then I send them a nice friendly note asking for status and explaining that I understand that life can sometimes get in the way of caching. I might even offer to pay for postage to take it off their hands, especially when I've waited longer than three months.

In your case I would wait a good month and then nicely ask if they have plan on moving it westward. Keep it short and simple.

Also, you don't want to show your tracking number in the photo. People will use it to log it.

I had NO shortage of large containers to choose from when deciding on a cache to start the aforementioned TB. I actually started two TB's approximately the same size in different caches only a mile or two apart.

I don't think a lack of appropriate sized cache containers is really a good excuse to hold onto a bug for too long. The containers are out there. You just have to choose a couple possibilities before going out just in case one is too full or something.

This thread gets exactly at some of the points brought up in the following post:

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=164514&st=0&p=3115637entry3115637

I believe that there are a number of cachers participating who are responsible, caring, empathetic, and who want to do the right thing, but who do not pick up TBs because of the guideline that says you must move them along within 2 weeks.

I like caching, as does my family, and I like the camaraderie and the 'shared secrets' and the idea of getting outdoors more often, and the opportunities for playing the game at many different levels.

If I pick up a TB, I have every intent on moving it along. Picking up a TB if you do not have the intent of moving it along is stealing. Plain and simple. A TB belongs to the owner, and even more importantly to the geocaching community once released!

But I hesitate picking up TBs lately because, while we regularly geocache, we rarely, if ever geocache more than once a month. Not because we don't want to, but because there are so many other demands on our time.

I appreciate the concept that a TB owner would like to see the TB move, but I also see a lot of TB owners complaining that cachers are visiting a cache where a TB is located, but the TB is not being picked up. Some complain that a cacher should not be logging a TB as 'found' if they are not willing to move it along. Others complain that a TB has sat in a cache for months even though the cache has been found and loggd multiple times during that time period.

It also bothers me that some TB owners interpret this attitude to mean that my idea of 'casual caching' or being a 'casual cacher' means that we do not take it seriously, or are irresponsible. There should be enough room in this 'sport' for all levels of interest, and all it takes is a little encouragement to keep people interested, to keep families involved, and to entice new, responsible cachers to join in.

I'd be more inclined to pick up a TB if I knew that the 2 wk guideline was only an ideal, and further that it was an ideal that was frequently not met! If more people admitted that they were not necessarily fastidious about getting a TB put into another cache within 2 weeks, and if more TB owners admitted that they were just glad to see their bugs move, even if held for a month (or longer), then there would be less anxiety and angst, and that would mean more fun and frolic.

d.b of b@t

:D

I personally don't contact a holder for at least three months. Then I send them a nice friendly note asking for status and explaining that I understand that life can sometimes get in the way of caching. I might even offer to pay for postage to take it off their hands, especially when I've waited longer than three months.

In your case I would wait a good month and then nicely ask if they have plan on moving it westward. Keep it short and simple.

Also, you don't want to show your tracking number in the photo. People will use it to log it.

I have had the same thing happen. I dropped a TB that I put together off in a cache in early July 2007. I came back to the cache as I got back home from a trip two weeks later to find it gone (I was happy) and a cacher logging that they picked it up ten days after I started it off on its journey. About a week later, I began to wonder why not only had the TB not been logged, but the cache hadn't been logged, seeing as the person lived in the same town. I also noticed that since the person had logged only 4 caches in 7 months. At the two week mark, I politely sent an e-mail letting them know that they had my TB and if they had any questions about it, to please contact me and I'd be willing to help them. It finally got logged around the one month mark, with a humorous log about holding it hostage, and that they would place it soon. That was three months ago.

After hitting the three month mark, I again sent a message. This time, I asked if they could give me an update on the TB. If they still had it and an estimate on when they might be able to place it. Still, after then months they only had 4 caches logged. I also let them know that I can understand how time can be a factor on getting out and if they weren't sure when they might be able to place it, I gave them a friends geocaching name if they wanted to arrange a pickup to go ahead and get it back out on its journey. I tried to be polite, thinking that they may just have gotten bogged down and unable to go out caching.

Two weeks later, and no replies, I sent the same message again. I have since noted that the last time this person got online was the day they logged it in mid-August. Still, no reply from them.

I am going to try again. Of the TB's I've released, this one is one I liked. At what point do I consider organizing a lynch mob? Or do you have any other suggestions for how to at least get some acknowledgement to work out something with them?

Sometimes humor works. I wrote a little poem you can post to the TB or cache page (OK, I was a little bored today), or you can make up your own.

I had a little bug, it was always meant to travel.

Now it’s stuck in a cache and my mind will soon unravel!

I want my poor bug to move, but there it sits, all stranded.

Cachers came and cachers went, but it’s stuck where it landed.

Won’t someone please help me out and pick up my poor old bug?

I couldn't do much in return, but send a virtual hug.

Edited by Eartha