Placing a cache away from home

Demon360

I've found a couple good spots to place some caches in a VERY cache-defiicient area (around Clearfield, PA, which is where my girlfriend's parents live). The only problem is that it's 160ish miles away from home. We go up there at least once a month, so checking on the cache regularly wouldn't be a problem and her dad has offered to check it out if there's a problem with it and to let me know if it needs to be disabled until I can get there to fix it. He understands the concept of geocaching and has gone with me a few times when I went looking for the, so he's not completely clueless about it.

I've read the guidelines and it pretty much seems like it's up to the individual reviewer as to whether or not a cache should be placed in a case like this. I guess my question is more directed at a reviewer, preferably one for that area, who can let me know what needs to be done to demonstrate my ability to perform maintenance on these caches and allow me to get some placed in that area.

Thanx

Mark

Edited by Demon360

Find caches in the area on a regular basis and give the name of the person that will aid with maintenance when you submit it for review. Should be no problem as long as you can demonstrate that somebody can get to it if there is a reported problem - at least in a timely fashion.

Marry your Girlfirend - that would show some commitment. :laughing:

If you go there at least once a month it shouldn't be a problem, but I bet if the reviewers had $50,000 for every time they heard that and it proved to be false (or the person suddenly stopped going there), they could retire.

If you have a record of finds in the area over time that would help your case. If your GF's dad registers on this site that may also help your case.

I've found a couple good spots to place some caches in a VERY cache-defiicient area (around Clearfield, PA, which is where my girlfriend's parents live). The only problem is that it's 160ish miles away from home. We go up there at least once a month, so checking on the cache regularly wouldn't be a problem and her dad has offered to check it out if there's a problem with it and to let me know if it needs to be disabled until I can get there to fix it. He understands the concept of geocaching and has gone with me a few times when I went looking for the, so he's not completely clueless about it.

I've read the guidelines and it pretty much seems like it's up to the individual reviewer as to whether or not a cache should be placed in a case like this. I guess my question is more directed at a reviewer, preferably one for that area, who can let me know what needs to be done to demonstrate my ability to perform maintenance on these caches and allow me to get some placed in that area.

Thanx

Mark

I have caches in several different states and I have found that if I have a family member or local cacher that will provide maintenance there are no problems. I simply mention them in the cache or list them in the owner tag ie. CharlesIsland maintained by CacheNameHere

Check this one out GC15PH3

If you go there at least once a month it shouldn't be a problem, but I bet if the reviewers had $50,000 for every time they heard that and it proved to be false (or the person suddenly stopped going there), they could retire.

If you have a record of finds in the area over time that would help your case. If your GF's dad registers on this site that may also help your case.

The bold was my add

We own a house towards the northern end of the state, live near the southern end (what we do for family :D ) and LOVE to cache at the far western end of the state. We knew placing caches in our favorite areas would be tricky. To demonstrate our level of commitment, we first placed caches very close to home. Then we logged our mantainence checks. We checked on our caches whether there was a comment or not and then logged it. Then I placed one further away. Logged the checks. This made it very easy when we placed the far out ones. We were still questioned about the distance but, luckily, we have a pretty decent network that we believe we can count on.

A proven track record says alot.

Edited by "we two want to play too"