Error & Sample coins

BRoKeN W

Today I was looking at my personal coins and began to wonder if sample coins and error coins are worth more in value than LE's and RE's. For instance two of my personal coins that were supposed to be minted in bronze came out to be minted in gold (the only two in existence) and they have a slight paint error where the bridge is. Sad thing is today is when we finally figured out what metal the two error coins were in (after comparing the plating to the Japan 2007 coin). :D

So what are your thoughts? Are error coins and/or sample coins worth more than LE's, RE's and all that jazz?

** Sorry if this has been asked before..

Well since there are only two in existance I would think they would be worth more. Thats my 2 cents worth :D

I bought a coin at the MWGB that was a sample that I think just got mixed up with the ones for sale. I'm not sure it would be worth more as it is the same metal as all the rest it just doesn't have a tracking number. Of course if someone wants to offer me mega bucks for it I'd be happy to part with it.....

Many AEs are being sold direct from the artist or coin maker for $25 and up. Put your mint errors up on Ebay with that as your reserve, or even starting bid, and see where it takes you. I would imagine a couple of errors to be worth more than say 50 AEs produced only to be sold at 400% mark ups.

I don't believe SAMPLES should carry as much value as the errors especially if the errors have valid tracking#s. Samples don't and thus are mostly desireable by the collector who wants every variant produced of a coin issue... I would think.

Well since there are only two in existance I would think they would be worth more. Thats my 2 cents worth :D

I bought a coin at the MWGB that was a sample that I think just got mixed up with the ones for sale. I'm not sure it would be worth more as it is the same metal as all the rest it just doesn't have a tracking number. Of course if someone wants to offer me mega bucks for it I'd be happy to part with it.....

Which coin was this? I am pretty sure the seller will replace it a proper trackable coin if you like. I remember someone saying that the "sample" coin was sold by mistake and that they would replace the coin if the person who bought it asked.

So now to really split hairs on what you can mention or sell on the gc forums....got a coin in the mail today from a local-to-me vendor, 3 of the 4 coins of one particular type have their tracking number properly engraved on the edge of the coin. 4th coin, engraving was a no-show.

Now since the coin clearly says on the face of the coin "track at geocaching.com", can it be sold as an SLE (screwup limited edition) "trackable"? :D

I consider trackable samples to be worth more since they generally have a different icon. For instance, the Oakcoins samples are OC prefix, are trackable, and have a unique oakcoins sample icon. With the craziness over icons, (I had it myself, but then dropped it) I would consider trackable samples to be of high trade or price value (since there are so few to begin with AND you have to make a coin to get the samples). :D

I would think a Sample would be worth more than a Error coin...Unless it was Yimes Radioactive Yime that they screwed up the paint on at the factory and really was radioactive...at least I think it was as I remember somethin of the sort!

I got a Coinapalooza Error, but its only the paint on the coinapalooza has run a little bit...Check it out

ef865ea9-b305-465c-ab0a-c1f05c223e8b.jpg

Would you coinsider it a Blem or an error and would it make it less or more appealing to you???...I felt a little jipped as for it was not disclosed as it should have been in the trade...But now I may see by a different light! :D

Edit to add: I traded my Gold Arlsdaddy Dragon, which was a really nice coin and which also was my only one...I did it just because hey wanted it...I already had a Coinapalooza that was perfect...but didnt mention it and wasnt too miffed anyway.

Edited by 007BigD

Would you coinsider it a Blem or an error and would it make it less or more appealing to you???...I felt a little jipped as for it was not disclosed as it should have been in the trade...But now I may see by a different light! :D

If I get a coin that is mildly blemished like that, I usually keep that one instead of tossing it in my trader pile, as I'd rather not stick someone else with a blemished coin. Of course, that is all based upon my perception that minor blemishes lower the value (as compared with honest errors like sample coins with misssspelling of caPItalization issues).