? Unlisted geocache

MAK27

I recently went on a backpacking trip with my son and little brother. I came across a geocache looking for firewood. When I went home to find out what geocaching was all about and see if I could find the geocache listed , nothing came up for the geocache that I found. what can or should I do?

I only remember that it was started in I think 2000. the last entry was 2 years ago. It was called "stairway to heaven". Found @ stairway lake. PA

Edited by MAK27

I recently went on a backpacking trip with my son and little brother. I came across a geocache looking for firewood. When I went home to find out what geocaching was all about and see if I could find the geocache listed , nothing came up for the geocache that I found. what can or should I do?

There are other listing services, but it may be an archived cache that was never retrieved by the owner. Can you provide any more information?

You found this cache and signed the log so you should log it,

The previous cacher found it the same way you did and logged their find. If anything it makes for a nice read!

Now the mystery: was the cache ever removed as indicated by the CO? Does it have a permit? Should soomeone recover the "geotrash"?

Edited by weathernowcast

I've seen this situation a lot.

A reviewer archives a cache that is still in place, but needs owner maintenance.

If a cache needs maintenance, what makes us think that a cache will be picked up by it's owner when it's archived "by the system".

It just becomes Geo-Trash.

We should have a pinned cache rescue and adoption thread in the NE forums. I've seen other regional groups use them. Is this bad form, for fear that a cache might be listed elsewhere?

The owner made this log:

December 1, 2002 by 4FUN & Dog (35 found)

Temporarily disabled. Cache Removed. PA State Park Services requires a permit is filled out. I will bring this one back after I get the okay from the proper authorities!

Seems to me that it has not been removed, eh?

A reviewer archives a cache that is still in place, but needs owner maintenance.

If a cache needs maintenance, what makes us think that a cache will be picked up by it's owner when it's archived "by the system".

We should have a pinned cache rescue and adoption thread in the NE forums. I've seen other regional groups use them. Is this bad form, for fear that a cache might be listed elsewhere?

The "listed elsewhere" mantra (repeated as naseum in these forums), is really just theoretical. I mean how long does it take to check Navicache and gpsgames.org for the caches? And this cache obviously pre-dates Terracaching.com; I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not listed there without even looking. :o

I don't know. I'm just sayin' I've seen many a reviewer post in these forums that nothing ticks off a cache owner, even one that hasn't logged in in 3 1/2 years, then having someone remove, replace, or involutarily adopt their cache.

But it is true I see those pinned threads in the other regions, and those threads seem to work, and haven't caused any apparent controversy.

someone did not make the trip!.........who would ever find it except people looking for campfire wood, right?

That's just bizarre... I was just talking with a local out that way about placing a cache in this very same area (Matamoras is 53 miles east of me, so more or less asking them to check out the area)

Who knew? I guess most places with waterfalls are usually good bets for caches.

Is there a way I can check archived caches? There's another set of falls in that area (Milford) I want to go checking out soon as well, I'd hate to have a cache clashing with someone elses.

Edited by pawaterfalls