Offensive cache name?

so if we allow positive things to be said, we should allow negative things, as well?

That would be the freedom of speech part. So far you are the only one to even question/address it. Do you think that caches with the names I suggested would be allowed? I think they should be allowed, but I doubt they would be because of the religous theme. Therefore why should one be allowed that is identifiable as offesive to a certain group. Nevermind, I just figured it out - because every cache will be offensive to some group, thats why!

I'm sure Groundspeak would welcome the attention they might get for a cache name that was disrespectful of Muhammad. That cache owner would probably be accused of being a hate monger, not simply expressing his free speech

You have no argument from me on that.

As I previously stated, in a 'family friendly' environment, I question the name of the cache and I wonder how it was allowed, unless there is a different local meaning. Someone has stated that you can't enter dadgum in the forums. Why then in the cache pages?

Skisidedown

Please note the site changed my word to dadgum, so what gives?

Edited by skisidedown

so if we allow positive things to be said, we should allow negative things, as well?

That would be the freedom of speech part. So far you are the only one to even question/address it. Do you think that caches with the names I suggested would be allowed? I think they should be allowed, but I doubt they would be because of the religous theme. Therefore why should one be allowed that is identifiable as offesive to a certain group. Nevermind, I just figured it out - because every cache will be offensive to some group, thats why!

I'm sure Groundspeak would welcome the attention they might get for a cache name that was disrespectful of Muhammad. That cache owner would probably be accused of being a hate monger, not simply expressing his free speech

You have no argument from me on that.

As I previously stated, in a 'family friendly' environment, I question the name of the cache and I wonder how it was allowed, unless there is a different local meaning. Someone has stated that you can't enter dadgum in the forums. Why then in the cache pages?

Skisidedown

Please note the site changed my word to dadgum, so what gives?

1. I'm all for freedom of speech, but believe that private groups have a right and often an obligation to control things like this when it can be viewed as being endorsed by the organization.

2. Yes, I'd also think that since the name is not very 'family friendly', is part of the reason I think it shouldn't have been used. That is not unrelated to the religious reasons why folks would take offense, though.

3. While people can get overly sensitive and everything can be offensive to someone, I think we can use some generally accepted norms to avoid predictably offensive terms. If I said "F*** Y**" to some one in the forums, I'd probably get banned or severly reprimanded pretty quickly. Why? Because it is generally agreed to be an offensive statement.

Dave / DudleyGrunt

Freedom of speech is one of our rights in the USA. It was declared so that citizens of this country could speak out, voice their opinion and not fear reprimand from our government. It wasn't meant to give us the right to use offensive language or display profanity whenever we choose.

On that note, this cache wasn't placed here in the United States. I'm not sure what constitutes "going too far" in other countries but i doubt that this cache name would have gotten by the reviewers if it had been submitted here in the Unites States.

Geocaching is widespread and there will no doubt be times when a name or wording of a cache description will somehow be offensive to people in some areas of the world. This is something that is inevitable. But as far as this cache goes, i agree with the OP in that i do find it's title offensive. I believe that most of the people of the world would find it offensive as well so i don't think the cache should have been published with it's present name, no matter where it was placed.

I also believe in freedom of speech, and yes, I'm also originally from the states. I don't care about the dam word, but the G*d addition to it bothers both me and my Swedish husband. It's the one curse word we don't use in our house.

FWIW, we don't have the slightest problem with cursing otherwise and have been known to colorfuilly pepper our speech with it... in both languages, lol!

It's also an appearance thing. I, personally, don't think it leads to making a good impression for those who look on the listings in Sweden and see it there. It looks really bad.

Don't you have something better to do? Seriously! If you don't like it, then ignore it and don't visit the cache. Who made you the 'cache name police' anyway? You don't use that curse in your house - so what? Some folks do. Your opinion is just that - your opinion.

Geocaching.com is touted as being a "family friendly" web site. I don't find the name of that cache to be family friendly. It's not something that would pass muster for a use on a kids television show, nor do I think it is an acceptable name for a geocache on a "family friendly" web site. There are lots of words and phrases that I don't consider family friendly, and "God D@mn" is one of them.

Geocaching.com is touted as being a "family friendly" web site. I don't find the name of that cache to be family friendly. It's not something that would pass muster for a use on a kids television show, nor do I think it is an acceptable name for a geocache on a "family friendly" web site. There are lots of words and phrases that I don't consider family friendly, and "God D@mn" is one of them.
You're right it just doesn't sound right. "Hey kids let's go search for the "God D@mn" cache next! :blink: