What is a ususal gift for FTF?

mamawok

The usual FTF gift is nothing. I've never encountered a special FTF prize in a cache when I was FTF.

Also, I've placed over 200 caches and probably only put a FTF prize in maybe 10 of them.

The FTF prizes I left included an unactivated travel bug tag, a geocaching.com hat, binoculars, a Petzel Tikka headlamp and a hydration daypack.

I've heard of people leaving gift cards, cash and unactivated geocoins. Basically it could be anything as long as it's something nice that geocachers might want. You'd probably want to spend between $5 and $20.

A FTF prize is a nice touch, but they are not expected or even common in most areas.

Edited by briansnat

I take those great little white magnetic compasses that Brian leaves in his caches. :D Oh, those weren't FTF prizes? :D Seriously? I got a nice geocaching keychain. A $10 Starbucks gift certificate (for 2nd to find). Missed the third prize of a Barnes and Noble Gift Certifiacte by a few days.

I don't leave FTF prizes. Though, for my next hide, I do have an FTF geocoin. FTF must put it in his/her next hide as an FTF prize. (Icon only) And so on.

I don't give FTF awards, and would rather congratulate the 23rd, 54th, or some later finder of my cache. Now that doesn't mean I don't mind being FTF myself... But I don't expect a prize other than being first.

However, to answer the question my favorite prizes have been unactivated TB tags and coins.

Edited by fauxSteve

I like to spoil my FTF cachers. I leave a home made FTF ceramic collectible along with other goodies like gift cards, or a pair of $15 movie tickets or a $20 bill in a plastic bag marked "FTF prize". I don't do it every time so I do keep the cachers guessing on what they might find. On one of my caches a cacher took the $20 and left a $10... The next cacher took that $10 and left a $5! That was kinda cool.

In this area there are folks who leave a FTF certificate or a FTF button. Others like to leave a gold dollar (in micro caches). I've left gold dollars in micros, unactivated geocoins, an unactivated TB dog tag, and various other items. One local cacher leaves a $2 bill in each of his caches. I recently did a series of caches where I was FTF on most of the series. Each cache was named for one of the Harry Potter books and the FTF prize in each one was a copy of the book the cache was named for.

FTF prizes are nice but not required. In this area we tend to include something but it isn't "expected" nor is it usually anything very expensive. Obviously, the series with the books was something that cost the hider a bit of cash to include and was greatly appreciated.

Each cache was named for one of the Harry Potter books and the FTF prize in each one was a copy of the book the cache was named for.

FTF prizes are nice but not required. In this area we tend to include something but it isn't "expected" nor is it usually anything very expensive. Obviously, the series with the books was something that cost the hider a bit of cash to include and was greatly appreciated.

I was going to do the same thing for my series of Harry Potter caches, but then I realized that the books were too big for my caches. :anitongue: Plus the books didn't arrive until after I set most of the caches. So I saved them as a First to Complete prize. I did drop unactivated coins as FTFs, and gave the FTF half of the coords for the final cache. It was fun watching as people realized what they had.

So far, I've tucked dollar bills marked for "Where's George" into my three hides for FTF. In the future, considering TB tags (unactivated) and geocoins I purchase.

Those coins I have won or been given are considered gifts, treasures to keep as momentos from fellow cachers.

Ditto for us, though if we ever hide a really, really tough cache maybe I'd make it a WG$5 or WG$10.

Here I've seen unactivated TB tags and geocoins most often used as FTF prizes along with "official" certificates. In a few rare cases I've seen money and lottery scratch tickets . . . however the best FTF prize I ever found personally was a $5 coupon at a local ice cream shop!

That said . . . I never put out FTF prizes mainly because I noticed that the same one or two geocachers tend to always be the FTF. I do however have two caches that are stocked with items all worth $5 or more and cachers are asked to do equal trades . . . these caches are not restricted to premium members and so far believe it or not most folks have honored the equal trade stipulation.