which do you like to use?

web road runner

First let me start out by saying thanks to all of those who have answered my questions in the past--I did finally get a Garmin legend C for a good price on e-bay with some patience. Yesterday, we found our first cach and today we went 3 out of 4 maily because it was pitch black in the middle of the woods and could not find. My next question is what software is better to used to download onto your GPS GSAK or EasyGPS? Let me know your thoughts and which is more user friendly. I'm sure each will have their on prefrence but that's ok I'd just like to "hear" your opinions.

First let me start out by saying thanks to all of those who have answered my questions in the past--I did finally get a Garmin legend C for a good price on e-bay with some patience. Yesterday, we found our first cach and today we went 3 out of 4 maily because it was pitch black in the middle of the woods and could not find. My next question is what software is better to used to download onto your GPS GSAK or EasyGPS? Let me know your thoughts and which is more user friendly. I'm sure each will have their on prefrence but that's ok I'd just like to "hear" your opinions.
I recommend GSAK because there is so much more you can do with it. :laughing:
I recommend GSAK because there is so much more you can do with it. :laughing:

This is the one I have used--so far again I have only 4 caches under my belt--what more can you do with it--help me out here I still don't know what I'm doing just yet

EasyGPS is a basic and simple to use application. It will transfer the waypoints and you can do some minor waypoint manipulation with it like editing, copying and deleting waypoints. It's good for novices, the computer illiterate and those who just don't need a complex application.

GSAK is a much more robust product that provides many waypoint management features. You can create multiple databases and use it to manipulate the data sent to your GPS. For instance I (and many others) use it to change the waypoint name (i.e. GC #) so that it tells me the cache's size, type, terrain and difficulty. Some people use it to add the hint to their uints.

You can use GSAK to filter caches by difficulty, terrain, state, owner and a number of other criteria. Actually it has too many features to list here.

I recently started using it and have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I'd say use EasyGPS as a caching "beginner" - as it's name suggests, it's easy, simple and straightforward - probably much easier to use than GSAK. It's good enough to upload the coords to your GPSr, and I think it's free.

Once you want more than just that, become a premium member, start using Pocket Queries - and get GSAK to find out about the huge number of other things you can do with it!

Happy caching!

I use both. GSAK is for managing my databases of caches. When I am ready to move them to my GPSr, since GSAK doesn't talk directly to my Lowrance, I export to a *.gpx file and then use EasyGPS to convert the *.gpx file to the *.usr file that the GPSr needs.

Before I became a Premium Member, EasyGPS worked great. However, once I started getting all the data included in Pocket Queries, I needed all the functions in GSAK to slice, dice, and filter the caches in this cache-rich area to get the number down below the 500-waypoint limit of my Vista C.

GSAK has a bit of a steep learning curve, but is a great, indispensible program for Premium Members who use PQs. :(

GSAK is the only thing I've used. I downloaded it while waiting for my first GPSr to arrive in the mail. It took me a bit of fiddling to figure out just how I wanted to have the info sent to my unit but the help section plainly lists the various codes and what they mean so it wasn't too bad. I don't use the advanced features such as macros but I do keep multiple databases and I love the program. You can use it for free pretty much forever (you will, however start getting nag screens) but it's so very useful that it's worth every cent of the purchase price. It's actually worth more but hopefully Clyde won't raise the price. :(

I use both. GSAK is for managing my databases of caches. When I am ready to move them to my GPSr, since GSAK doesn't talk directly to my Lowrance, I export to a *.gpx file and then use EasyGPS to convert the *.gpx file to the *.usr file that the GPSr needs.

From the main GSAK menu, try "GPS=>Export to Lowrance Usr..."