wheelchair geocaching

Hello to to other geocachers in wheelchairs! Do you have stories of going off road? Is there a way to do a search for accessible caches?
Yes look for caches with a terrain rating = "1." Those are all "supposed to be" wheelchair accessible. Good luck! <_<

I recently looked for a 1/1 cache. It was actually more like a 2.5/2.5 cache. I've also looked for several Large caches that turned out to be regulars and micros that were really smalls, etc. It's sad but you can't rely on the ratings to be accurate.

I have a son who is in a wheelchair. I've done very few caches where he could have both gotten to the proper spot and retrieved the cache. Levels of disability differ from person to person so it's really difficult to say what is accessible.

Edited by Thrak
Hello to to other geocachers in wheelchairs! Do you have stories of going off road? Is there a way to do a search for accessible caches?
Yes look for caches with a terrain rating = "1." Those are all "supposed to be" wheelchair accessible. Good luck! <_<

I recently looked for a 1/1 cache. It was actually more like a 2.5/2.5 cache. I've also looked for several Large caches that turned out to be regulars and micros that were really smalls, etc. It's sad but you can't rely on the ratings to be accurate.

It is really sad. Maybe they should add a wheelchair attribute since the ratings are not reliable. It seems like that would be more foolproof....

1 star terrain is supposed to be handicap accessible. It often isn't.

Duh! I swear I checked before I wrote that! <_< Anyhow, since there is one then the OP can run PQs using this attribute. :P

That won't return all of them though, there is a local mutli that says Wheelchair accessible in the name, but doesn't have the attribute.

Additionally, many people fail to use the attributes when posting caches.

Edited by Thrak

Duh! I swear I checked before I wrote that! <_< Anyhow, since there is one then the OP can run PQs using this attribute. :P

That won't return all of them though, there is a local mutli that says Wheelchair accessible in the name, but doesn't have the attribute.

This is all true but it should return some. :D

This is all true but it should return some. :D

True, I ran a quick one from the center of Racine and came up with the 100 max I had set it to. To the OP, to run a Pocket Query you need to buy a premium membership. geocaching.com/subscribe .

Yes look for caches with a terrain rating = "1." Those are all "supposed to be" wheelchair accessible. Good luck! :cry:

Yah Right! I just finished a 1/1 cache that took me a mile into the woods on a small dirt path that went up and down all the way. I had to leave my wheelchair 50 yards from the car. I can walk with effort and while hanging on to a friend's arm. we were both pretty tired by the time we returned!