Buy CityNavigator v8 now or wait for 2008?

Various flavors of this question are circulating, but I've searched and am still not sure what the answer to my questions are.

I just bought a 60csx and would like to add CityNavigator.

My understanding is that the CityNav 2008 version that is out for purchase now is only an upgrade, correct?

So...

When is the full version expected?

The 60csx can handle both regular and NT versions, correct?

Garmin isn't offering a free upgrade, so it makes absolutely no sense to buy CityNav v8 right now unless I have an overwhelming need for on-road navigation?

Thanks... this info is probably scattered throughout the forum, but I was hoping to consolidate the answers for ease...

Best check it out for sure, but I believe V8 allows you 2 unlock codes whereas 2008 only allows 1. Could be significant if you want to use CN on another gps.

Please bear with me. I'm new at this "Garmin" stuff after coming over from the Magellan line.

A couple of months ago I purchased a Garmin 2720 Streetpilot auto unit. (Love it BTW.) It came pre-loaded with City Navigator NT North America v8. (There are no memory add-in cards on that unit).

The package also included the above title on the DVD which I installed on my computer. Creating routes, etc. works fine.

Last week I purchased the Etrex Vista HCX which of course comes only with that crappy basemap.

Question: I used my CN that was already loaded on the computer to select and load 954 megs of map data onto a micro SD card thru a card reader. No problems so far. The name file shows as "gmapsupp.img".

When I put the card into the Etrex and power it up I get "Unable to unlock maps". I thought this software version was supposed to be allowed on 2 GPS units.

Any suggestions anyone? Or am I stuck with having to purchase a new unlock code from Garmin?

I just posted the similar question. I have spoken to representatives at Garmin, TigerGPS and REI and no one has heard that CN 2008 will be coming out as a stand alone version any time soon. I am in the same boat as you. I most likely will break down and purchace CN v8 from Garmin and hope that they give me 2008.

I just posted the similar question. I have spoken to representatives at Garmin, TigerGPS and REI and no one has heard that CN 2008 will be coming out as a stand alone version any time soon. I am in the same boat as you. I most likely will break down and purchace CN v8 from Garmin and hope that they give me 2008.

The Garmin CN NA NT map viewer now shows the 2008 version and it is more detailed than the V8, but the DVD number is unchanged. Still no confidence to place an order.

I've found CN v7 for 60 bucks, so I thinking about buying that for now, and from the sounds of it you can update from any old version..... Its going to work out to the same price as the full version on CN 2008, but I dont want to spend 120 on v8 then upgrade for another 60 bucks in a few months when 2008 is working.

The more I think about it, it's kind of shaddy... but it will be the same price in the long run.

Edited by geoSpartan

Best check it out for sure, but I believe V8 allows you 2 unlock codes whereas 2008 only allows 1. Could be significant if you want to use CN on another gps.

Please bear with me. I'm new at this "Garmin" stuff after coming over from the Magellan line.

A couple of months ago I purchased a Garmin 2720 Streetpilot auto unit. (Love it BTW.) It came pre-loaded with City Navigator NT North America v8. (There are no memory add-in cards on that unit).

The package also included the above title on the DVD which I installed on my computer. Creating routes, etc. works fine.

Last week I purchased the Etrex Vista HCX which of course comes only with that crappy basemap.

Question: I used my CN that was already loaded on the computer to select and load 954 megs of map data onto a micro SD card thru a card reader. No problems so far. The name file shows as "gmapsupp.img".

When I put the card into the Etrex and power it up I get "Unable to unlock maps". I thought this software version was supposed to be allowed on 2 GPS units.

Any suggestions anyone? Or am I stuck with having to purchase a new unlock code from Garmin?

Best to call Garmin on this one. I have City Navigator V8 and it came with two Unlock Codes for two different GPS units. However, the automotive units and the software that came with them might be different. With any luck, they will tell you that software did come with two Unlock Codes. :D

I've found CN v7 for 60 bucks, so I thinking about buying that for now, and from the sounds of it you can update from any old version..... Its going to work out to the same price as the full version on CN 2008, but I dont want to spend 120 on v8 then upgrade for another 60 bucks in a few months when 2008 is working.

The more I think about it, it's kind of shaddy... but it will be the same price in the long run.

60 bucks is a good deal. Rather than upgrade just wait for the 2009 version. It's cheaper to buy a new version every 3-4 years than it is to pay 75 bucks to upgrade each year. :D

I posted this also in another thread...

I called Customer support yesterday to ask when the full version of CNNA 2008 would be released as I too have a new 60 Csx being shipped, and the guy I talked to said he was told earlier in the day they would be shipping to retailers in the next couple of days. I currently use City Select v.6 and will temporarily load that and continue to wait. Looking at 2008 online, a lot of streets have been added in this fast growing NW Arkansas area.

Best to call Garmin on this one. I have City Navigator V8 and it came with two Unlock Codes for two different GPS units. However, the automotive units and the software that came with them might be different. With any luck, they will tell you that software did come with two Unlock Codes. :laughing:

That's what I was thinking also. I played around a bit more, went to "MyGarmin" and made sure both units were registered.

Then I went in and asked for an additional unlock code for my new Vista HCX off the the original DVD software that came with the Street Pilot 2720. They sent me a code, so I uploaded everything onto a micro SD card via a card reader. The entire process took about 45 minutes to load onto the card. Popped the card into the Vista and everything was there.

Works great now.

Everyone thanks for the help.

BTW, I emailed Garmin just after I made my original post on this subject.

STILL WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM THEM.