help finding micros

Micros are often magnetic so look for a metal surface. In trees and bushes - they are often tied to a branch and have camo tape. Look for cracks, crevices, doors, hinges etc for places to examine. Look under and behind objects.

Above all - think to yourself - "Now where would I hide something the size of a film canister or less here".

It all depends on the location of the cache and the type of container. Read over the description of cache. Usually the ower will put some sort of clue as to what it might be. When you go out into the area of the cache look the are over think about the possibilities of where a very small object might be at. Look under rocks, in trees, you might even have to stick your hand into a hole in a tree and feel around a bit. Micros can really be anything from 35mm film canisters and smaller so any little nook and cranny can be a good spot.

As noted above, try finding small or bigger caches, until you get the hang of it. I found a 'micro' (that was a bit of a stretch) the other day that was about 20 feet up a sapling. You had to bend the tree down to get it, and it was smaller than a AA battery, and painted forest green. I only found it accidently. If I hadn't looked just right, at the right time, I would have never seen it.

That said, I did a multi that was a bunch of film canisters (Real micros!) today that were pretty easy to find. They were all 'kid friendly,' in that nothing was hidden more than about four feet off the ground. A couple were actually easier for the kids to get, because they could get into the tree/shrubbery easier.

Best advice? Explore the surroundings, take your time (if possible - watch for muggles!) and don't give up. If you just plain can't find it, walk away and come back later. I've gone back to spots three or four times to find a cache, more than once. Many times, a fresh start will help. And find some 'caching buddies.' They'll help show you the ropes, the stuff they learned from fellow cachers, or the hard way - going out on their own.

Edited by PJPeters

Look over and under any metal surfaces (rails, signs) etc.

At ground level, often concealed by thick grass next to something (fence post).

In small nook/cranny

Try reading the previous logs and have a look at the 'Additional Hints' section (decrypt) if you are having trouble, you'll probably get a clue which should help alot.

Good luck.

I found one recently that was tied to the bottom of a chain link fence by a length of fishing line. You couldn't see the container, and could only see the fishing line if you were either very lucky, or had made a "lifeline call," which is what we had to do . . . :o

Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some hints on how to find a micro. I am brand new to this, and have been having no luck. Thanks for your help.

Beth :anitongue:

For someone "brand new to this", hunting for micros might not be the wisest choice. They can be among the most difficult, time consuming and frustrating to find, obviously due to their size. The Team rarely hunts them for just that reason.

The hint for finding micros is to first get a good amount of experience in finding caches of larger sizes. Also, if possible go microing with an experienced micro hound. You just have to have a "thing" for finding them, there is no magic.

Edited by Team Cotati