Floods

I know that people have died and maybe there will be some more fatalities due to the severe weather we are receiving in certain parts of the country. :P Added to this many people flooded out of their homes and seperated from loved ones etc etc blah blah blah BUT

I couldn't help but wonder how many caches have also suffered or been destroyed.

A moment of silence to remember some good and not so good caches? Perhaps a little cache prayer so those little caches know we're thinking about them tonight????? Especially as the waters begin to rise......

Aiiiiiii

Edited by fraggle69

We have a series of Thames Path caches running from source to St John's Lock near Lechlade - an area that's severely flooded. Our attempts to carry out cache maintenance was abandoned at the weekend as the floods were too deep for our cachemobile. :P

Luckily most of our hides were in elevated positions so hopefully will have survived, but some were not so elevated as they were on higher ground - however we now suspect it may have not been high enough! :P

We've got our fingers crossed that the caches survive - with just some drying out required, but at this stage all we can do is sit and wait for the water to subside. :lol:

Likewise with some of our Thames Path caches, and also our River Pang series, although lots of them are up quite high ... will have to wait and see - not in Berkshire at the moment so unable to check for sure.

Its likely that some of the caches we have put in place for the Shrops event will have washed away too but easy enough to replace. Looking at the news I feel so sorry for all those people whose homes have been wrecked by flood water. :P Liane

To be perfectly honest I can think of several that I hope have been washed away never to return. If they have I will raise my glass to the Caching Gods in the sky and whisper a silent "Thankyou!" :rolleyes:

Brilliant! I will be out doing a rain dance when I leave Weston tonight........

We have a series of Thames Path caches running from source to St John's Lock near Lechlade - an area that's severely flooded. Our attempts to carry out cache maintenance was abandoned at the weekend as the floods were too deep for our cachemobile. :)

Luckily most of our hides were in elevated positions so hopefully will have survived, but some were not so elevated as they were on higher ground - however we now suspect it may have not been high enough! :)

We've got our fingers crossed that the caches survive - with just some drying out required, but at this stage all we can do is sit and wait for the water to subside. :rolleyes:

I'll be camping at The Trout Inn the first weekend in August.... assuming that their camping field isn't still somewhere under the River Thames... for a small folk festival. Now I get 'folked out' after a couple of hours and was looking forward to finding your caches when I get an hour or two to sneak off on my own. Hope they've survived.... :P
It might be interesting to see if any caches have simply floated away on the floodwater, and landed miles from their original location. Perhaps we should offer a prize for the farthest travelled.

Lee

Not floodwater exactly but I seem to remember a cache turning up somewhere on the English south coast after being washed away from, I believe, one of the Channel Islands. Think it was an ammo can and the contents were OK. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can add a detail or two.
It might be interesting to see if any caches have simply floated away on the floodwater, and landed miles from their original location. Perhaps we should offer a prize for the farthest travelled.

Lee

Not floodwater exactly but I seem to remember a cache turning up somewhere on the English south coast after being washed away from, I believe, one of the Channel Islands. Think it was an ammo can and the contents were OK. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine can add a detail or two.

I eemember that one too. There was also this one in the lake district which travelled some way in a flood and was found by a cacher. See log for Dec 14th 2006

Edited by Just Roger
We have a series of Thames Path caches running from source to St John's Lock near Lechlade - an area that's severely flooded. Our attempts to carry out cache maintenance was abandoned at the weekend as the floods were too deep for our cachemobile. :)

Luckily most of our hides were in elevated positions so hopefully will have survived, but some were not so elevated as they were on higher ground - however we now suspect it may have not been high enough! :P

We've got our fingers crossed that the caches survive - with just some drying out required, but at this stage all we can do is sit and wait for the water to subside. :)

I'll be camping at The Trout Inn the first weekend in August.... assuming that their camping field isn't still somewhere under the River Thames... for a small folk festival. Now I get 'folked out' after a couple of hours and was looking forward to finding your caches when I get an hour or two to sneak off on my own. Hope they've survived.... :)

Your nearest cache will be GCYN7G and we've managed to see it in the distance safe and dry (although at present unreachable) - can't say the same for the caravans in the site, with the water level half way up their doors! We fear that many of the other nearby Thames caches will be submerged, if not lost, but we'll do our best to do maintenance visits ASAP after the floods subside. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lydford Locators

Unfortunately the flooding took my cache in Dinton Pastures, Reading. The drop to the stream is at least 5 feet so I never thought it would be a problem. But given the flooding around here when the river Loddon burst it's banks, I went out for a bike ride last Saturday to take a look (couldnt go by car - many roads were shut off due to the floods).

When I got there, the stream was at normal level (which surprised me) but cache was gone. There was a tell-tale sign that a massive surge had washed its way through taking all sorts of debris with it, including my cache box. I searched in vain and I'm now hoping some nice soul will find it downstream somewhere and contact me - I'm not holding my breath!

I've taken cache offline but hoping to have Dinton Butterflies back up and running very soon as the kids seem to love it.

Starkey444

We have a cache next to the Wharfe in Yorkshire which has survived six weeks under water and still in perfect condition. A lock and lock type box with a big stone covering it. Probs cames a week or two later when it was reported soaking wet???? Cacher had opened it in the pouring rain and it was ruined.... Just goes to show... MaxKim.