60CS(X) or Vista HCX

DOW2

I am off to college and my Dad does not want me taking his garmin eMap with him. Probably a good thing because it gives me an excuse to upgrade! I am leaning toward the new Vista HCX, but am wondering the positive differences between the 60 series and the Vista HCX. Is it worth the extra $120 for the CSX?

Edited by DOW2

I don't think so - even without the "H" which essentially neutralizes the biggest advantage the 60 had over the Vista.

The Vista is lighter, smaller and has longer battery life (primariy due to powering a smaller display.)

The 60 has a Quad helix antenna which some argue will always retain an advantage over the patch antenna of the Etrex line. But, that's gonna be a very small advantage.

The 60 has tide tables, if that interests you at all. I'll just look at the paper or online.

Go for the Vista and use the extra money money for a 2g card and mapping software. :ninja:

It's really a matter of personal preference. I like the 60CSx because it has a bigger screen, controls that I like better, and it's pretty sturdy. I've dropped mine a few times, with no ill effects. Plus, the 60CSx has an external antenna connector, which I use occasionally while canyon-hiking.

So, the question is, are those benefits worth $120 to you?

I have an eMap right now and am use to the front controls, so the 60 has the advantage. BUT the HCX does everthing else except bigger screen and quad antenna. Anyone have a problem with the interface of the vista or it it user friendly?

I have had a Vista C for almost two years now. I know the buttons and menus very well now and find the buttons, and especially the click-stick, easier to use than the buttons on the 60CSx. :ph34r:

I much prefer the smaller GPSr, even though it doesn't quite have the "cool factor" of the 60CSx . . . :(

Do you like sitting in the back row at the games, or do you like the front? If you can afford it, I suggest the 60CSx.

You would probably not have to replace this investment for the next 10 years in which case the difference in price would be worth it.

If money is a factor to consider I would rather go for the Vista HCx and get the best software including Topo with the money you save. The software is also important.

Okay, let's make this even tougher: The Vista is smaller than the 60CSx--you can put it in your pocket. In other words, the 60CSx (my preferred unit) is bigger and clunkier. But it's built rock-solid.

Both units are going to perform about the same. The Vista screen is fine (I used to have a Vista), and I wouldn't say it was flimsy--it had about the same durability as a cell phone. So it comes down to smaller and less expensive versus sturdier and more expensive.

Okay, let's make this even tougher: The Vista is smaller than the 60CSx--you can put it in your pocket. In other words, the 60CSx (my preferred unit) is bigger and clunkier. But it's built rock-solid.

Both units are going to perform about the same. The Vista screen is fine (I used to have a Vista), and I wouldn't say it was flimsy--it had about the same durability as a cell phone. So it comes down to smaller and less expensive versus sturdier and more expensive.

Recently I have seen comments like this in these Forums. I have had both the monochrome Vista and the Vista C. Both those units are very durable, although I did get the neoprene case just to protect them from scratches. As I recently posted, one time my Vista C fell from my pack. It flew 150' feet to the ground below. We found it, and during the "flight" and the landing, the neoprene case came off, however, the GPSr was still working. :ph34r:

If that happened to a Map 60Cx/CSx, I wonder if the antenna would have survived . . . Not that I'm suggesting a test . . . :(

Half the price difference is probably the 64 m-SD card they throw in :( .

I think it's supply and demand, and the price will drop once the HCx' start flooding the market.

One comment I'd like to add about the the button arrangements between the two units. I started caching with a Vista; used it for almost two years and still bring it out once in a while. I've been using a 60CS for the past year or so. The buttons on the 60CS are starting to wear out and I can't make out the wording on two of them. Being on the front they wear out from friction; plus, they are probably of thinner material so they can light up. The buttons on the Vista remain intact without a sign of wearing through. The drawback with the Etrex is the wide rubber band around the unit. Mine is ripped and held in place with camo tape :ph34r: .

Some good advice here, and some inaccurate advice as well. First of all, I use the etrex series extensively, and I also own a 60CX. My only preference for the 60 was the sirf chip. Now that the mediatek chip is now being used in the etrex hcx series, I have ordered the Legend HCX. I prefer my current Legend CX over my 60cx other than the receiver itself (the 60 sirf is better than the current Legend CX)

Now for the reasons I prefer the Legend HCX. As someone mentioned, battery life. The etrex hcx series will outperform the 60 cx in this department, but not because of the smaller screen. The sirf chipset in the 60cx series is a major power drain. The new mediatek chip in the hcx series consumes less power.

Also, the display on the etrex color gps's is a much crisper, sharper, brighter display than on the 60 series. I rarely have to set the backlight brighter than 20 or 25 percent on the Legend cx, whereas I have to set it at about 80% on the 60cx to get a similar display. Nevertheless, the 60cx display is never as sharp as the Legend.

Portability. I like the smaller size of the Legend. Not only because I can comfortably stuff it in my pocket, but because of the smaller size and less weight, it mounts more solid on my ATV handlebar.

The buttons: I give the edge there to the 60cx if you are not used to the etrex buttons. But you quickly get used to either.

Durability. I can't say that the 60 is more durable than the etrex. I have heard comments about the rubber casing on the etrex series giving way, but I have never experienced that problem.

Remember, I have both the Legend CX and the 60cx. I greatly favor the legend, again, other than the receiver (sirf) itself. Now that the hcx series is available, I can see me never using my 60 when my new legend hcx arrives, providing that the mediatek chip lives up to its hype.

Some good advice here, and some inaccurate advice as well. First of all, I use the etrex series extensively, and I also own a 60CX. My only preference for the 60 was the sirf chip. Now that the mediatek chip is now being used in the etrex hcx series, I have ordered the Legend HCX. I prefer my current Legend CX over my 60cx other than the receiver itself (the 60 sirf is better than the current Legend CX)

Now for the reasons I prefer the Legend HCX. As someone mentioned, battery life. The etrex hcx series will outperform the 60 cx in this department, but not because of the smaller screen. The sirf chipset in the 60cx series is a major power drain. The new mediatek chip in the hcx series consumes less power.

Also, the display on the etrex color gps's is a much crisper, sharper, brighter display than on the 60 series. I rarely have to set the backlight brighter than 20 or 25 percent on the Legend cx, whereas I have to set it at about 80% on the 60cx to get a similar display. Nevertheless, the 60cx display is never as sharp as the Legend.

Portability. I like the smaller size of the Legend. Not only because I can comfortably stuff it in my pocket, but because of the smaller size and less weight, it mounts more solid on my ATV handlebar.

The buttons: I give the edge there to the 60cx if you are not used to the etrex buttons. But you quickly get used to either.

Durability. I can't say that the 60 is more durable than the etrex. I have heard comments about the rubber casing on the etrex series giving way, but I have never experienced that problem.

Remember, I have both the Legend CX and the 60cx. I greatly favor the legend, again, other than the receiver (sirf) itself. Now that the hcx series is available, I can see me never using my 60 when my new legend hcx arrives, providing that the mediatek chip lives up to its hype.

Does the Legend HCX let you take an average when marking a waypoint? This is handy for getting better coords. My Legend does not. My Legend also didn't have an electronic compass. I like this feature on my 60CS. I always had to walk a straight line for 10-15 feet to get my Legend to point in the direction of the cache again. Edited by TrailGators
Does the Legend HCX let you take an average when marking a waypoint? This is handy for getting better coords. My Legend does not. My Legend also didn't have an electronic compass. I like this feature on my 60CS. I always had to walk a straight line for 10-15 feet to get my Legend to point in the direction of the cache again.

There's two ways to get a waypoint average without the averaging feature. 1) the old quick and dirty way, set the unit to record in time mode (10 secs, 1 min, whatever). After a predetermined time, visually create a waypoint in the middle of the track log. 2) import the track log into a speadsheet and average the values.

Does the Legend HCX let you take an average when marking a waypoint? This is handy for getting better coords. My Legend does not. My Legend also didn't have an electronic compass. I like this feature on my 60CS. I always had to walk a straight line for 10-15 feet to get my Legend to point in the direction of the cache again.

It should; my Venture Cx does.

Hope to get my Vista HCx this week. :P

One important thing that people failed to mention is the speed of the units at refresh. The H series is new so no one has commented on the speed of the processor vs the CSx. I own a CSx and I know it is by far the fastest unit before the H series. Now, we'll have to wait for some feedback on how fast the H can re-draw maps.

I hate it when I have to wait forever when I'm scrolling through the map especially if I'm driving and need to see where I'm going pronto.

Edited by jcc123