This is a cool cache! Does anybody have links to one like it?

OK here's the deal. There has been this Virtual cache near us (GC303F) that the idea is to recover all the benchmarks here in Utah and once you find the benchmark nearest to you, you upload the photo and log it as a cache (and a benchmark in this case)

My question is are there any other caches like this that you don't actually have to be at the listed location to log. This particular one anybody in Utah could log it if they just do the requirements. That would be awesome if there were caches in another state that you just have to do a requirement and you could log it. The point of this post is not to get more "easy" caches. I think it appeals to us for two reasons: you would get a cache in another state, and two you would have to go out and find something or do something new.

This might have been a one of a kind cache, but let's just find out.

Note: I just saw on a description of a Virtual that you actually have to visit the place. Don't know how it got approved then. I also searched for NGS benchmark and there are a few other states that are doing something like this cache also.

Edited by jerandjana

This site used to have Virtual caches and Locationless caches. Some Virtual caches were "grandfathered" into the site and you can still find those, however all the Locationless caches were Archived. :rolleyes:

On another site, there are Locationless caches, but I don't know how many of them are "arm chair" caches. :blink:

People are logging it without even following the directions. The May 30 log shows a photo of a BLM benchmark in Nevada, not an NGS benchmark in Utah.

Hmm, that user that logged it is a "banned premium member." I didn't know there was such a category.

People are logging it without even following the directions. The May 30 log shows a photo of a BLM benchmark in Nevada, not an NGS benchmark in Utah.

Hmm, that user that logged it is a "banned premium member." I didn't know there was such a category.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a 'Banned Charter Member"? I may find out soon!

I wonder if there's such a thing as a 'Banned Charter Member"? I may find out soon!

Yes, there is.

Yes, there is.

Oh no, not again? :rolleyes:

The subject of the NGS Benchmark Virtual caches has been discussed by TPTB. They have been grandfathered, according to a nearby reviewer.

I'm sure TPTB are well aware of the 50 or so (at most) grandfathered virtuals that allow, many that even encourage, google finds. I don't think they're going anywhere either.

This site used to have Virtual caches and Locationless caches. Some Virtual caches were "grandfathered" into the site and you can still find those, however all the Locationless caches were Archived. B)

On another site, there are Locationless caches, but I don't know how many of them are "arm chair" caches. B)

Actually, there was quite a trend last winter of armchair "google earth" locationless caches over at Terracaching. But the fad seems to have died down real quick. There are currently just over 600 locationless over there, more than double the amount that were ever available here, in case anyone is jonesing to do any. B)