What to leave?

Serrabou

We are getting ready to find our first cache. We have a very basic question I am almost embarrassed to ask, but I cannot find an answer yet on this site. We are supposed to leave something and sign the log when we visit, but what exactly should we leave? Anything at all? Something in the "theme" of the cache? Something that will be a signature for us?

Pardon the newbie-ness :laughing: and thanks in advance!

Gold bars would be appreciated... :laughing:

Generally any new dollar store type items. Just remember to trade up or trade even. I have left:

• matchbox cars
  • emergency ponchos
  • duck tape
  • tools (pliers, screw drivers)
  • books
  • books on tape
  • dvd
  • beanie type animals
  • am/fm radios
  • music cds
  • pens
  • glowsticks
  • etc

We are supposed to leave something and sign the log when we visit, but what exactly should we leave? Anything at all

It's only a requirement to leave something if you take something. It's perfectly acceptable to leave nothing if you take nothing. You always must sign the log though.

The golden rule is: Trade up, trade even, or don't trade.

this means, if you decide to take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

now, this rule is often ignored, so many if not most caches are full of worthless junk, but if you consider how much money is it worth for the 10-15 minutes of fun you had finding the cache, I think a good guideline is anything in the $1+ range. a dollar bill is always enjoyed by the next cacher, and quite a bargain to leave. Some people leave higher, and that's always appreciated. happy meal toys and the like are often frowned upon.

I usually don't trade when I cache, as there is seldom anything interesting to me. Just remember that the real thrill is finding the cache itself, so don't be disappointed if you open it and find nothing worthwhile inside.

have fun.

Thats it. From my experience it is very rare to find something worth $1. Just try to be fair. But don't think that each cache you find will cost you $1. If you leave it the fact of the matter is a future finder will probably take it without trading even and so IMO its kind of useless. I would only leave $1 if i took about a $1 worth of stuff.

We left a new in package LED flashlight at one cache. A future finder traded the new light for a plastic lucky penny trinket worth about 3-5 cents. Man that ticks me off....

I am having a friend of mine, make some pins for me. He makes metal pins that people use to trade at conventions and the like. I'm very new at Geocaching and am thrilled with the hunt...but would like to leave a "I was here" token too. Happy caching! Shdonna

Thats it. From my experience it is very rare to find something worth $1. Just try to be fair. But don't think that each cache you find will cost you $1. If you leave it the fact of the matter is a future finder will probably take it without trading even and so IMO its kind of useless. I would only leave $1 if i took about a $1 worth of stuff.

We left a new in package LED flashlight at one cache. A future finder traded the new light for a plastic lucky penny trinket worth about 3-5 cents. Man that ticks me off....

Walmart sells emergency rain ponchos for 87 cents. Waterproof matchboxes for the same price.

I'll buy a bunch and leave those. Useful and cheap.

Another favorite of mine are insect repellent wipes. A box of 12 packets can be had (on sale) for $2. I'll leave one or two. Again, useful and cheap.

Walmart sells emergency rain ponchos for 87 cents. Waterproof matchboxes for the same price.

I'll buy a bunch and leave those. Useful and cheap.

Another favorite of mine are insect repellent wipes. A box of 12 packets can be had (on sale) for $2. I'll leave one or two. Again, useful and cheap.

The insect repellant wipes are always appreciated by people. I found a cache one time where a spray can of insect repellant was included as a permanant part of the cache due to the mosquito issue at the cache site. It was nice that, when the can got depleted, it was replaced by other cachers.

I did a small cache run on the way home from visiting my dad on Father's Day and ended up not even looking for the last few caches because as soon as I got out of the car I was covered with mosquitos. Some of those handy insect repellant wipes would have been extremely useful.

I leave insect wipes, new bandanas (great on a hot humid day in the woods and only $1 or so at Army/Navy Store), ponchos, carabiners, mineral specimens, hacky sack balls, new socks (for the muddy foot from a creek slip), bottle opener, hair clips, paperback books (larger caches) and on it goes. I am always looking for interesting/useful things on sale or for cheap. In one cache I left a civil war bullet from a local battle with a card about its location and history...and it was picked up just hours after I dropped it. The cacher was thrilled with it. That made me happy. :( I always forget about leaving $1s but I think thats a cool thing. It would buy you a thimble-full of gas. :(

I try to leave useful items if possible. Although I do carry kiddie items (NOT McToys), I've seen caches filled with kid-junk and nothing much for the adult who made the effort to find the cache. So I like to leave grown-up trade items.

Edited by PlantAKiss

I have been dissapointed in a couple of recent caches they have just junk, I went to one and it was a large ammo can it had a few small "American Girl" buttons and a "Spy Kids" ruler. There was all that empty space what a disapointment.

Still, one person's disappointment is another's satisfaction. One can never know what might please the next cacher. There's been some good suggestions in this thread, I only hope the things I leave (uniquely mine) might please another person. I'll not complain if the cache I discover doesn't contain a treasure for me: I'll enjoy it for what it truely is.

I think the problem isn't just junk but people take more than they leave, or don't leave anything. This narrows the possibilty that you'll find something of intrest and makes it less fun. For example that cahce I previously mentioned was a large ammo can, it had three small items in it, I can't imagine the person who placed it (who has more than 3000 finds) would start a cache with 3 items.