Did I screw up already placing my first travel bug?

Angelo Music

I placed my first Travel Bug today. I suppose I should have read all about it first, but what can I say? I was excited. Anyway, I was reading up on how to log it and realized that I may have needed to give it a tracking number somehow and physically write it on the bug. I didn't do that. I simply made a "bug" and placed it in the cache. Did I screw up? I can easily remedy this. I work in the area of the cache, so I can fix it, but I want to do this the right way. Help! - Angelo Music

When you say you "made a bug" it makes me almost wonder if you have a TB tag attached at all. That's the first step, to purchase a travel bug tag. It comes with a tracking number and that is what is used to log it. Apologies if I misinterpreted the dilemma.

Ok, this is starting to make a little more sense. Firstly, I'm new. I was under the impression that you could make ANYTHING a "travel bug" as long as it had a destination goal. I'm a professional artist. I etch art into granite, so I etched a small fragment of black polihed granite with an inscription about it's destination on the back. Didn't realize I had to activate it or purchase a kit of any kind first. Sorry ... should've investigated first. I plan on retrieving it tomorrow. Thanks for the help. - Angelo

When you say you "made a bug" it makes me almost wonder if you have a TB tag attached at all. That's the first step, to purchase a travel bug tag. It comes with a tracking number and that is what is used to log it. Apologies if I misinterpreted the dilemma.

Ok, this is starting to make a little more sense. Firstly, I'm new. I was under the impression that you could make ANYTHING a "travel bug" as long as it had a destination goal. I'm a professional artist. I etch art into granite, so I etched a small fragment of black polihed granite with an inscription about it's destination on the back. Didn't realize I had to activate it or purchase a kit of any kind first. Sorry ... should've investigated first. I plan on retrieving it tomorrow. Thanks for the help. - Angelo

You can make anything into a traveler. Geocachers did that before travel bug tags were invented. You don't need to attach it to a travel bug tag. You can stick an item in a cache and attach a note with its destination if you like. But if you want to follow its travels through logs and pohtos, you will need a travel bug tag for it.

Did you attach a Groundspeak Travel Bug dog tag that looked like this to the item? In order for it to be trackable, it needs a tracking number. It gets it's own web page that cachers log into and post stories, photos, or the ever popular "bug drop" or "discovered" log. You can scribe or etch the number into your item, but people may not recognize it for a travel bug and keep it, or leave it in the cache.

travelbug_large.jpg

Then you should read this.

Edited by Eartha

Please tell me yu took a picture of this! I would love to see it (and maybe have you make me a "bug" to attach to my TB!)

Maybe you shouldn't consider placing caches or TBs until you actually have a bit more experience in the hobby. Your account only shows a handful of caches and no handling of other TBs at all. Unless you have another account that you use, it certainly doesn't seem to nearly enough experience. How do you even really know how TBs operate if you've never handled one?

That sounds pretty cool. They also sound very collectible so make sure you don't release anything you aren't willing to lose. It does happen.

Glad to see you are asking questions and learning about travel bugs.

Most of us are happy to assist.