Manunka Chunk Tunnels......The Rescue

Wayfinders

The Manunka Chunk Tunnels

I've had some correspondence with Scottmandude regarding an idea I had.

If you look back into the history of this AWESOME cace, you'll see that Scottmandude had to place another container after a tree had fallen and moved some big old rocks over the original GZ. He returned and placed a new container, allowing all the lucky cachers that took on this hide the opportunity to check out this historic "Weird New Jersey" site.

My idea was to retrieve the origial container, and of course release Fernando.

We'll need various implements of destruction. Heavy enough tools to get the job done.

And I'd probably wait until we got us a dry spell.....

Just gonna throw this out there and check out the interest.

Is Scottmandude available to show us exactly where the original cache is ?

I believe there are so big rocks that need to be moved.

Yes he is. I contacted him to see if he ever did retrieve the original cache. He did not.

He also wants to go along. Having the CO there would definately be a plus!

If I remember right, the tree was kind of rotted. I thing the stones will be the biggest obstacle.

I've got a metal detector I can bring along, but I think this area has an abundace of iron ore so it may prove worthless. Thinking while were there we could CITO the various beer bottles and such along the route.

I would be interested too. I thought about it while I was there, but I'm sure there was nothing I could do by myself. I also wasn't sure where the original hide was. If I go with a group, maybe I will approach the cache from the"proper" direction and see the whole tunnel, rather than the cheater way that I went.

It seems like it HAS been pretty dry. We kayaked the Millstone River last weekend...the stream gauge was supposed to be at 1.7 feet but when we went, the water level wasnt' even up to the bottom of the gauge, about 2 feet lower than the suggested depth :blink: Somehow we managed to make the trip anyway.

Hi all-

New to the forums, but not so new to caching. Started 3 years ago almost to the day. Added 2 more kids to the family since then and that slowed me down. Now my oldest (of 3) is old enough to enjoy it with me so I am out now and fully engaged again.

I am approaching my 100th find and was hoping to make this it - been watching it for a couple years. I'd be in for helping if it can be pulled together soon.

-CK

Update:

I fired off another email to Scottmandude asking when he could be available for the rescue mission. I also included a link to this thread. I hope to get this scheduled soon. Figured we could do it late morning or early afternoon, that way we could have a beer and a burger at King Coles. Here's to hoping it is a celebration of success!!

I am definitely interested. Visited the tunnels once before but posted a DNF because the water was high and my shoes were not boots and I felt the correct way to find this cache was through the tunnel. I am away this weekend. After the 18th, if Ican possible make it I will be there.

Okay, Scottmandude got back to me again and it looks like things are falling into place.

Email copy:

"Hi: I'm around Fri June 29, July 12-16,july 26-31. I

would like to join the hunt if I can, but don't plan

around me. It's been a few years, and my memory isn't

as good as it was.

I think that the boulder that the current cache box is

near is on top of the old box. I think I have the

old coordinates if you want, not that it will do you

much good.

I look forward to the adventure."

So looking at the calendar I'm thinking of trying to tackle this on Saturday July 14th, say around 11 AM.

That way travelers have time to make the starting gun and the beer should be plenty frosty by the time we're done. I'm sure Fernando is parched!

That's what I have so far... Anyone from up that area know if King Cole's is still in operation?

I'm thinking of hiking in a shale bar for prying the boulders.

Thoughts?

Are you going to make this into an official "event"?

I am not sure of my availability, but if I come I can bring a large pry bar also.

I thought about that briefly, then dismissed the idea. The parking areas for this cache are both parking areas for local businesses. I figured too many cars would be a problem. As it is now we're looking at maybe a dozen or so hikers heading in. I'd carpool with 3 or 4 people. We should go pretty much unnoticed.

When I did this cache previously I hiked in from King Coles. That daycare parking lot sure looks closer....

I parked somewhere else when I did this cache, but the parking at King Coles may not be actual "business" parking. I was concerned about parking at a business, but now that I've passed by it a few times, it has more of the appearance of being parking for river access. Also, the last few times I've driven by, it doesn't look like King Coles is even in business anymore, but I could be wrong about that.

But, yes, it would look suspicious if a lot of cars parked at the day care center. Since that is obviously private property, I personally wouldn't park there, given the other option.

Edited by trowel32

I'm starting to get a complex... There were very few cars at Coles (although the neon OPEN sign was lit)... and fewer at the day care center where I parked (it being a Saturday). Decided that w/o a crew to help, I may as well leave the implements of destruction in the car and abandon the TB rescue part of today's mission...