missing travel bug

shadango

My son and I started a travel bug a few years back.....after a time away from caching due to some issues, we have started again and have found that our travel bug went missing in april 2006......the person who logged finindg it has not visited theforum since that log..........

Is there any way to track down a TB or is it pretty much gone? I am hoping maybe the last finder dropped it somewhere and it is "somewhere"..... :o

If you check the profile page for the person who picked up your travel bug, you will find that he found two caches in April of 2006, and has not returned to the website since. A one-day wonder, so to speak. You could try e-mailing him, and offering to pay the return postage from Ontario, but I would not hold out much hope.

(When I look through the list of travel bugs that I've moved, the vast majority of the ones that have not moved in quite a while are in the hands of people who have stopped geocaching. Sad, but true.)

When I look through the list of travel bugs that I've moved, the vast majority of the ones that have not moved in quite a while are in the hands of people who have stopped geocaching. Sad, but true.

Same for me. I'd say about half of the TBs I own are now gone and a lot are in the hands of a geocacher who hadn't logged onto the site in some time. In every instance they ignored repeated e-mails and offers to send a postage paid envelope so they can return it to me.

Once in a great while they turn up, so there is some hope. I had one out of circulation for 2 years and it made a re-appearance.

You can wait for it to re-appear, or if you still have the copy tag, you can re-release it using that.

Edited by briansnat

Yep, send them a nice email and if you don't hear anything by the end of the month go ahead and re-release it.

If you wish, you can change the name of the bug, the goal and description and whatever traveler you want to attach. Just don't delete the logs of the people who did help move your bug along as it will remove their found it stat.

You can grab the bug away from the current holder when your ready to re-release it.

The same thing happend to one of my bugs.

I emailed the guy a couple of times and offered to pay postage for him to send it back to me but he hasn't replied.

You could try naming him in his local forum and see if anyone knows who he is and can have a word for you.

I have seen this work before.

Good luck.

We had a travel bug go missing ourselves. "A tribute to scotter-our family pet). It was in honor of our dog which was a minature daschound(a weiner dog if you will). Understand, that he is not dead, but we gave him to my dad who recently had lost his best friend(a dog-15yrs old).

We are thinking about putting it in the travel bug graveyard. We have the backup dogtag, but feel like it would be best to just put it to rest. We dont know when we may do this, because its last log was only 4months ago, but its not in the cache it is suppose to be in. So we may give it 6 months or so before we do.

So to those of you who are missing a travel bug, we understand your sorrow. And hope that someday your travel bug will show back up.

First of all your TB is currently out to an Unknown Location. That's exactly where it should be while you wait to see if it resurfaces.

(By the way, I suggest sending an email to the person who logged the cache on Feb 21. Include a picture link and ask if they remember seeing it.)

I also think your bug hasn’t traveled enough; after a couple more months if it hasn’t returned, re-release it. I recommend stopping by the local pet store, dog toys are very durable and cheap travelers.

Edited by BlueDeuce