ISO: Inexpensive PDA w/ everything I need for paperless caching

Title pretty much says it all! I really know NOTHING about PDAs, so I am really looking for something that is completely ready to use!

Thanks a bunch!

Helga

Here is a good place to start:

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15

and another:

http://www.ggaonline.org/resources/paperle...ss_caching.html

Read through that then drop me a line, I'll help you determine what to look for in a PDA.

I've helped lots of people get started with paperless caching, and don't mind helping more.

Cheers!

thanks so much!!

i totally feel like i am in over my head. i downloaded gsak today and need to figure out how to use it...i am not even all that familiar with pocket queries. i know nothing about palms or cachemate...i soooo want to be paperless, but i am so technologically challenged!!!!

thanks,

helga

Questions to ask yourself:

1. Do you need a USB connection or a serial connection?

2. Color or black & white?

3. Rechargeable batteries or disposable?

4. Will the PDA be used for anything besides paperless caching?

When answering, be sure to be honest with "want" versus "need".

Answer those questions, and I can suggest models that fit your criteria. (That goes for anyone looking fora PDA for paperless caching, just email me with your answers, I'll offer the "best fit" PDA.

Cheers!

Just a quick note in regards to the criteria.

In regards to :

3. Rechargeable batteries or disposable?

By "rechargeable", I mean a battery that is sealed and part of the unit that gets charged by a USB connection, a wall charger, or while in it's sync cradle. For instance, the Zire 31 can be charged while plugged into a wall charger, or while the sync cable is connected to a USB port . I found a 12v cigarette to USB adapter that allows me to charge my PDA while I am in my car, allowing me to always have my battery topped off.

By "disposable" I mean AA or AAA batteries that are replaceable. They could be Alkaline, NiHm, Lithium, NiCad, etc- some being rechargeable via a seperate battery charger, others being disposable.

Hope that helps,

TheBattons

This could be a great topic for pinning here if the conversation doesn't vanish into email and PMs. :D

I'm also on the hunt for a PDA to go paperless and since Cachemate runs on both Palm & PPC it looks like the big 3 questions are still:

1. USB connection or a serial connection?

It's probably a good idea to pair your GPS connection to the PDA so you can transfer between the two while "in the field" but I think we're getting to the point where Serial connections are rare on new PCs and not even an option on Macs.

2. Color or black & white?

Mostly a personal preference (and probably cost/battery life consideration). Readability is a bigger consideration.

3. Rechargeable (built in) or disposable batteries?

Personal preference again. Anyone who's already using rechargeable AA or AAA in their GPS will appreciate being able to swap the same batteries with their PDA.

For me I'd need USB, B&W & Standard AA. Shall we start making a spreadsheet of matching models? :D

I really like my Palm M500.

It connects with USB.

It has an easy to read monochrome screen.

I have had it for more than five years and the built-in battery is still working great. It lasts for days and days between needing to be recharged.

You should be able to get one of those for $30.00, including the shiping, on eBay. :D

I really like my Palm M500.

It connects with USB...

Your avatar looks like a Garmin Etrex... can the M500 send waypoints to the Etrex? I didn't realize this was a possible benefits of paperless caching until reading some of the other threads now I'm all excited. :-)

Thanks!

I am using a Palm 505. Cannot hook directly to my Garmin Summit.

The way I work it is..........

Download Pocket Query (need to be premium member) to GSAK in laptop

Use filter in GSAK to organize caches in area or direction I am to travel

Export caches to PDA from GSAK, synchronize PDA from cradle

Export caches to mapping program

(both the above done from file drop menu)

Export caches to Garmin from GSAK (done from GPS drop menu)

Open mapping program, set and display route, import data file to put pushpins on caches

Pack Garmin and PDA into cache bag, head for door.

If I need it, I can quickly boot the laptop to see where a cache is in relation to my route, and the roads I need to follow get to the area quickest. (Or if I can get to it at all with a tractor-trailer when working)

Edit to add, you need to get the Cachemate program for your PDA if it is not already in it.

Edited by Trucker Lee

If you REALLY want great functionality, such as transferring between PDA and GPSr, then you should look into a pocket PC.

When I'm on a long road trip, I bring along my Axim X30. It offers wireless so I can grab updates from geocaching.co, then transfer them to my Garmin 60cs via a special data cable.

The Palm OS on the older, cheaper (>$50) basic models currently offers no way to transfer directly via PDA-GPSr.

If you're looking for inexpensive, you can't get under the Zire 22 from Palm. It runs around $99, and will do everything you need it to, except for hooking directly into your GPSr. That's probably where I'd point you, since you're not too sure where you're going to go with it. And, it's pretty easy learn on. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but it will do just about everything a high-end Palm will. Just stuff like Bluetooth and wi-fi, and more memory on the higher end ones, but you probably could get by without any of that.

I can't answer about the pocket pc equipment, since I've been using Palm for 10 years now - almost since the beginning. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you're looking for inexpensive, you can't get under the Zire 22 from Palm. It runs around $99, and will do everything you need it to, except for hooking directly into your GPSr. That's probably where I'd point you, since you're not too sure where you're going to go with it. And, it's pretty easy learn on. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but it will do just about everything a high-end Palm will. Just stuff like Bluetooth and wi-fi, and more memory on the higher end ones, but you probably could get by without any of that.

I can't answer about the pocket pc equipment, since I've been using Palm for 10 years now - almost since the beginning. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'll admit, the Z22 IS a nice unit...but $99 is retail price on a new unit. There are less expensive options out there, and this IS the "Garage Sale" forum....I see refurbished ones on eBay from reputable sellers that go for $60-70 shipped all the time, not counting the auctions that may go for less....for $99, I'd look for a Z72, or a Tunsten E2 then get the add-on WiFi card to add wireless internet capabilities.

I believe most folks starting out in paperless caching are looking more for a $20-$50 solution.....most any PDA with 2+ megs of ram do paperless caching well.

TheBattons

I have a palm M505 in great condition. In another thread I posted that I was not able to charge the unit, but it was my cradle that was causing the problem. So now I have a new sync cable that solved the problem.

I will include a new palm hard case for your off road adventuring.

The Palm M505 has a color screen that is light reflective. It is clearer outside in direct sunlight, it will not get washed out in sunlight.

The screen is in great condition.

It has an sd slot for adding memory. (Don't know if you can load items onto a micro sd in the palm and put them onto the garmin cx model.) There is 8 mb of internal memory. There is an IR port for wireless sync to your laptop if equipped, or for sharing data between PDAs.

I have the Cachemate software loaded, but only the freeware verson, it isn't registered, so you will get a nag screen each time you open the program to register it. But, other than the nag, it is fully functional.

I do not have any software cd's or manuals. All software for the unit is downloadable from Palm.com.

I would like $45 shipped to anywhere US 48, OBO.

I have a palm M505 in great condition. In another thread I posted that I was not able to charge the unit, but it was my cradle that was causing the problem. So now I have a new sync cable that solved the problem.

I will include a new palm hard case for your off road adventuring.

The Palm M505 has a color screen that is light reflective. It is clearer outside in direct sunlight, it will not get washed out in sunlight.

The screen is in great condition.

It has an sd slot for adding memory. (Don't know if you can load items onto a micro sd in the palm and put them onto the garmin cx model.) There is 8 mb of internal memory. There is an IR port for wireless sync to your laptop if equipped, or for sharing data between PDAs.

I have the Cachemate software loaded, but only the freeware verson, it isn't registered, so you will get a nag screen each time you open the program to register it. But, other than the nag, it is fully functional.

I do not have any software cd's or manuals. All software for the unit is downloadable from Palm.com.

I would like $45 shipped to anywhere US 48, OBO.

[Hi Helga,

I have two 6210 ATT Blackberrys that are obsolete as far as the phone use but just love it for a PDA. They are both in good working order and I will keep one but if you need a cheap one you are welcome to the other for $5 plus the shipping. I use it for a calander, notes, tasks, calculator, alarm and much more!

Let me know and I can ship it asap

Luc Pockets

[Hi Helga,

I have two 6210 ATT Blackberrys that are obsolete as far as the phone use but just love it for a PDA. They are both in good working order and I will keep one but if you need a cheap one you are welcome to the other for $5 plus the shipping. I use it for a calander, notes, tasks, calculator, alarm and much more!

Let me know and I can ship it asap

Luc Pockets

Luc Pockets,

What do you use for paperless caching on a Blackberry? They do not run the operating system as a Palm or a Pocket PC (so you can't run CacheMate), and I've never been able to find anything for caching that will run on a Blackberry.

If something is available now, it would open a whole new world of inexpensive hardware for paperless caching.

TheBattons