Drill?

CTKayak

So, I've never had any major issues with the coins I've sent out - a few missing from the start, etc, but it happens - and all I usually put with them (save the first couple) is a note. But, I'd like to join the bandwagon and drill a hole in the coins I send out to attach a note to. Problem is, I'm not exaclty drill-friendly. I'd have to buy one. Are they expensive? Do you use a special kind of drill? Am I going to accidentally end up with a hole through my hand, or metal pieces in my eyes? Please advise as to what everyone who does this uses, and if it's even worth it for me to do so. Thanks!

(edit: it didn't post my original comment. weird.)

So, I've never had any major issues with the coins I've sent out - a few missing from the start, etc, but it happens - and all I usually put with them (save the first couple) is a note. But, I'd like to join the bandwagon and drill a hole in the coins I send out to attach a note to. Problem is, I'm not exaclty drill-friendly. I'd have to buy one. Are they expensive? Do you use a special kind of drill? Am I going to accidentally end up with a hole through my hand, or metal pieces in my eyes? Please advise as to what everyone who does this uses, and if it's even worth it for me to do so. Thanks!

No special drill is required but a good sharp drill bit is a must. I have used both my Cordless Makita and a 3/8" Corded Dewalt. Safety glasses would hurt as much as metal shavings in the eye,not a bad idea :( .

DOH!!! Double post!

Edited by Damenace

No special drill is required but a good sharp drill bit is a must. I have used both my Cordless Makita and a 3/8" Corded Dewalt. Safety glasses would hurt as much as metal shavings in the eye,not a bad idea :( .

And a good vise.

Find someone who likes tools, they'll have everything and will jump at the chance to drill a hole in something.

You should also use a holding fixture, like a vise or somethin. Sometimes when you are almost through it will GRAB and start spinning with the drill...Thats when you get hurt.

Also if you can get one, a small center punch mark will ensure that the hole will be drilled where you want it, instead of walkin around and screwin up your coin, or use a very small pilot hole from a smaller bit. But I suggest a center punch. They come in the type you hit, just like a punch. And also are available in an automatic center punch, where its spring loaded and just press and "SNAP"...instant punch mark. They are cheap as well- 5.00 if you get them from that cheap tool bin.

I might also add you can buy drill bits individually, I suggest using a Cobalt bit. Its just harder and stays sharper longer and cuts very well. A whole set of cobalt bits will set ya back more than 100.00. But you can buy a small one cheap at the hardware store. - Hope this helps

Edit to add...Safety first!

Edited by 007BigD

If you want to send some coins to me to drill, I will drill them and send them back.

If you want to send some coins to me to drill, I will drill them and send them back.

:( I drill holes in most of the coins I release, and depending on the coin, the hardest part is deciding where to put the hole, I also have found that when I put the split ring keyring on it, soldering the split ring together deters folks from removing it, they can still add to it but It's much harder to remove. I'll also offer my drilling services if you would like to send them to Missouri, I can ship em' back or drop in a cache. :(

ede823aa-86bf-4033-bf6c-556c56c3639b.jpg

8cc44e03-15e2-4eb6-8d5e-8663a36a50e4.jpg

e616672b-0a19-40e8-b582-466b94a87012.jpg

1807bdc5-cc2f-46fa-a390-f223108fd854.jpg

Edited by 57chevy

If you have a close up of that tag and set up would you mind posting a picture of it? That looks the bomb. I've always wanted to say that. <_<

Thanks,

TraderDell

Thanks, that's the best pic. I have of that particular coin, but here's one that will be released soon. :P

433a1465-7c6d-4cac-b52c-29555a8109ea.jpg

You can get grommets or eyelets at any craft store and many hardware stores have the larger grommets. They definitely help keep the laminate from tearing.

We use airplane cable like above, it's thin and stong.

No need for fancy tools- a cordless drill (or corded for that matter) a piece of wood to set it on and the right size bit and there you go. It's really not hard to do and you don't need a bunch of fancy tools. Besides, everyone should have a drill for those around the house projects!!

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. And you can "discover" the coins I send, to boot.

As for having a neighbor or knowing someone who has a drill... I don't :P At the risk of belittleing my gender, I'd say it's a man's job... and I don't have a man! <_<

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. And you can "discover" the coins I send, to boot.

As for having a neighbor or knowing someone who has a drill... I don't :P At the risk of belittleing my gender, I'd say it's a man's job... and I don't have a man! :P

:D Tell that to my workbench! <_<

Edited by MommyFinder

While handheld drills can get the job done, you get much better results if you have a drill press.

--Marky

Yup, find someone with a drillpress. That's what we use.

As for having a neighbor or knowing someone who has a drill... I don't :P At the risk of belittleing my gender, I'd say it's a man's job... and I don't have a man! :P

:D Tell that to my workbench! <_<

Mine, too!

Edited by ATMouse

Another thing to keep in mind is some sort of backer under the coin while you drill. I've often found that as you drill through the other side you can easily knock out enamel in rather large pieces even if you have a sharp bit. I've found that by using a backer like a piece of rubber (I use part of an old dishglove over a chunk of 2x4) and wood it usually keeps the hole nice and clean on both sides. ;)

I had a friend drill mine. He used a drill press, a sharp bit, a slow speed and a piece of wood under the coin. They all come out looking wonderful!!!! No enamal lost at all. I gave him a couple of geocoins for his trouble. I just got my big box of acrylic photo holder type keychains in from e-bay. They where about 50 cents each with shipping. Now I just have to print some tags to put in the keychain and my coins will get started on their journey. I had released coins before just in the bifold coin flip with a note on the one side of the flip explaining that it was a trackable item, do not keep, ect - but have had several go missing anyway. I hope the keychain thing will help!!

I'm seriously looking into a drill press because my hand drill is wrecking havoc on my shoulder :D . Problem is, what kind B) ?

Standing (Floor) ones are the best but a bench-top will serve your purpose. Stick with the name brands like Shopfox, Delta, Grizzly, Jet. Check your local Retool store for a used model.

(But not a Craftsman. Hand tools yes, but not power tools)

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm seriously looking into a drill press because my hand drill is wrecking havoc on my shoulder :D . Problem is, what kind B) ?

Standing (Floor) ones are the best but a bench-top will serve your purpose. Stick with the name brands like Shopfox, Delta, Grizzly, Jet. Check your local Retool store for a used model.

Bench tops will need to be bolted down, Correct? Thanks for your input B)

Bench tops will need to be bolted down, Correct? Thanks for your input :D

Not unless you are doing some really heavy work. One of my presses is a oscillating, bench-top, ShopFox I picked up for $75 and I haven't had a need to bolt it down. I use it for most of my TB work. It sounds like a old jalopy when I start it up but it cuts true.

16520bc0-762a-4998-97eb-140c526ccba2.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce