Muggle Free Micro's

I would have a much better time hunting for Micro's if I didn't feel like being preceived as a problem by muggles or feeling like I can't just hunt for it - I got to be stealthy. I have left so many because of muggles.

I once did a Micro someone placed out in the forest and I had almost given up when I found it. That was a challenge with no bother. No one called the cops and I didn't have to look for anything but the cache. Pretty neat I thought.

Does anyone other than me have a desire to find a Micro caches without muggles. Do you feel Micros have to be urban. Is that an unwritten rule. I worry about police calls hurting our sport/game leading to bands.

Suggest ways have Muggle free micros.

Micros placed in the woods tend to create a lot of havoc with the surrounding natural area. Some cachers will use near Search&Destroy techniques to find the little thing. Not good. Micros often are not advised in secluded natural areas.

They exist in urban environments because it is very difficult to hide anything bigger.

Having said that - a few tips. Don't worry about looking so stealthy. Act like you are confident and know what you are doing. Act like you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you aren't). You attract a lot less attention that way. Carry a clipboard - you tend to blend in better in cityscapes. Bring kids - they will distract muggles.

Bottom line, if you aren't having fun while searching for a cache (any cache anywhere) - skip it and move to the next one. No sense in torturing yourself. Caches with a high muggle factor are not fun for me.

The courtesy is to use as large of a container as the area can reasonably hold.

That pretty much means that Micro's are urban caches since remote areas almost always can support a larger cache.

Caching in the urban envinronment also means more muggles. It becomes a challenge for the hider to figure out the locations that are relativly muggle free or for seekers to figure out when or how to seek the cache and avoid muggles.

Most percieve micros in the woods as a bad thing. "the container should fit the area' is a gereral guide. Why hide a micro in a 6000 acre forest, when surely you could hide a regular ammo can or larger. Of course it is your cache, so you can do what you want.

My great rant is a 1/1 micro ANYWHERE!

1. It is a micro cache, which has it's own inherent difficulty in being found.

2. Modern commercial GPSr units have a standard error of ~15-30 feet.

3. Not every GPSr reads a specific point the same (tied into #2).

4. A 1/1 should be open to individuals with handicaps.

so IMHO a 1/1 micro should be impossible, unless it's sitting in the open, in the middle of a 3 acre parking lot. :D

your opinion may, and will vary. but, again, it's your cache.

Micros placed in the woods tend to create a lot of havoc with the surrounding natural area. Some cachers will use near Search&Destroy techniques to find the little thing. Not good. Micros often are not advised in secluded natural areas.

They exist in urban environments because it is very difficult to hide anything bigger.

Having said that - a few tips. Don't worry about looking so stealthy. Act like you are confident and know what you are doing. Act like you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you aren't). You attract a lot less attention that way. Carry a clipboard - you tend to blend in better in cityscapes. Bring kids - they will distract muggles.

Bottom line, if you aren't having fun while searching for a cache (any cache anywhere) - skip it and move to the next one. No sense in torturing yourself. Caches with a high muggle factor are not fun for me.

Good Point and well taken. Now - have you done some Muggle Free Micro's?? where were they and what made them a success. I am not suggesting they have to be in the woods just somewhere Muggle Free!

The one I did see in the woods was a pill container in a drilled hole in a Dead fallen tree. No damage just hard to find.

I would have a much better time hunting for Micro's if I didn't feel like being preceived as a problem by muggles or feeling like I can't just hunt for it - I got to be stealthy. I have left so many because of muggles.

I once did a Micro someone placed out in the forest and I had almost given up when I found it. That was a challenge with no bother. No one called the cops and I didn't have to look for anything but the cache. Pretty neat I thought.

Does anyone other than me have a desire to find a Micro caches without muggles. Do you feel Micros have to be urban. Is that an unwritten rule. I worry about police calls hurting our sport/game leading to bands.

Suggest ways have Muggle free micros.

Suggest ways have Muggle free micros

...Now - have you done some Muggle Free Micro's?? where were they and what made them a success. .....

Yes - mostly in small neighborhood type parks. Back corner of the park. Timing is the key here. Early mornings/late evenings tend to have fewer potential muggles around. The timing of the weather plays a nice role too.

Other areas include walking paths (on/near signs), city alley and near city sports facilities (parking, ball fields etc) - again - carefully choosing the time you search is crucial.

I have a waterproof match container hidden high above a lake where muggles abound. Although it is a "micro in a rockpile," that cache has never had a DNF. I didn't hide a larger cache up there because I figured anything larger would be found by muggles hiking up there to enjoy the view.

I have another micro hidden in the far corner of a park. But, probably my favorite Micro hide is located in an awesome area.

13fd02a1-24fb-4295-8873-d17051ed5d61.jpg

It is hidden in an anomoly of the exposed slickrock. There really aren't any other places it could be, other than where it is. :D

Most percieve micros in the woods as a bad thing. "the container should fit the area' is a gereral guide. Why hide a micro in a 6000 acre forest, when surely you could hide a regular ammo can or larger. Of course it is your cache, so you can do what you want.

My great rant is a 1/1 micro ANYWHERE!

1. It is a micro cache, which has it's own inherent difficulty in being found.

2. Modern commercial GPSr units have a standard error of ~15-30 feet.

3. Not every GPSr reads a specific point the same (tied into #2).

4. A 1/1 should be open to individuals with handicaps.

so IMHO a 1/1 micro should be impossible, unless it's sitting in the open, in the middle of a 3 acre parking lot. :D

your opinion may, and will vary. but, again, it's your cache.

I would consider a micro 1/1 if say, there were a 40 foot light pole attached to it...

Micros placed in the woods tend to create a lot of havoc with the surrounding natural area. Some cachers will use near Search&Destroy techniques to find the little thing. Not good. Micros often are not advised in secluded natural areas....

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they're looking for a needle in a haystack, and the longer it takes, the madder they get. :D

micros have there good and bad sides. I have hidden a micro in the forest nearby where I live. and the only reason for that is that fact that it is like a test subject for an identical one I want to place in a city enviroment. I havent had the money latly to produce good Quality cache containers so I have been reduced to micros for the time being. I have 4 micros and 2 regulars out and none of the micros have had complantes about them so far. I lie 1 has had a few D.N.F. on it but was later found with help, By me or others that have found it. Now on to the Question, I do not mind hunting Micros in city enviroments as long as the cords. and hints are very good. One that I am after curently has bafeled me alot and the cords put me in the middle of a busy road, with a +- of 9 feet with the curb being 16 feet away on eithor side. I e-mailed and posted the problem and it still got me no real help. I finally contacted a fello cacher that I know and he gave me a better hint, he then went to the cache site and found that it was no longer where it origianaly was and e-mailed me a new hint. In My opion if some one tells you that there might be a problem check it to see if they are right or leave a good hint. I enjoy the stelth But not the headache if there is a problem.