Question about GPS Transievers

If i had one of these and brought it to a specific location up in the mountains or anywhere they might often be used. Would there be a chance I'd pick up other people speaking on other ones?

Yes, these are basically FRS/GMRS radios mated with GPSR's, with the added functionality of being able to broadcast you coordinates to a compatible receiver. You would be able to hear anyone else who is broadcasting on the same channel.

In the past I had heard complaints about the range on Garmin radios, but I don't know anything about the new H series, so maybe they've addressed that.

If i had one of these and brought it to a specific location up in the mountains or anywhere they might often be used. Would there be a chance I'd pick up other people speaking on other ones?

Yes, these are basically FRS/GMRS radios mated with GPSR's, with the added functionality of being able to broadcast you coordinates to a compatible receiver. You would be able to hear anyone else who is broadcasting on the same channel.

In the past I had heard complaints about the range on Garmin radios, but I don't know anything about the new H series, so maybe they've addressed that.

I wonder how close this is to a satellite phone. How far these can go I am curious. I am shopping for a GPS.

I think one of these could be a lot more fun on top of geocaching.

Maybe someone who has one of these can respond.

I wonder how close this is to a satellite phone. How far these can go I am curious. I am shopping for a GPS.

No, these do not communicate via satellite.

FRS/GMRS is terrestrial radio, basically a license-free walkie talkie. The range varies, but 4-5 miles through open air is pretty good, add hills, trees and rocks and it degrades. I have a pair that claims to carry 17 miles, but my experience is they're not any good for more than I've already quoted.

Maybe someone who has one of these can respond.

I can't speak for the GPS/radio combos but my radios claim a ten mile range (I've seen them up to 18) but in most terrain you'll get one or two miles tops. The full ten mile range would be with no obstructions (hills, trees, etc) between the two units.

I can't speak for the GPS/radio combos but my radios claim a ten mile range (I've seen them up to 18) but in most terrain you'll get one or two miles tops. The full ten mile range would be with no obstructions (hills, trees, etc) between the two units.

That's my experience as well. Truth be told, two miles through moderate foliage is as much as I've ever needed anyway.

Also know that the battery life on the Garmin Rhino isn't very good. At least on the old ones. I don't know if the battery life is improved on the new ones. I do know that using my 60CSx and a Motorola FRS radio gives me much better battery life.

Speaking of trees. I have researched that the 60 CS x (antenna models) are better at getting sat signals faster. Upon my first experience using a GPS I realized right away that kind of problem is going to be a major factor in my decision. It was with the Garmen 100.00 model. It did get a signal then lost it right away. But it took 5-10 minutes to get it. I wasn't so keen on that.

That's my experience as well. Truth be told, two miles through moderate foliage is as much as I've ever needed anyway.

Agreed. I mainly carry them in case we get separated, it all started on a hike in the Smokies with my sister, she stepped off the trail for a nature break, while waiting for her I decided to step off the other side of the trail. She returned, didn't see me, panicked thinking I had left her and returned to the truck. Meanwhile I spent the rest of that afternoon searching for her where I had last seen her, finally hiking back to the truck at nightfall to sound the alarm only to meet her about halfway there hiking back up after having reached the truck and realising I wasn't there. A radio would have made a world of difference. (Of course, her having a little more faith in me not leaving her behind would have helped as well. ) :anitongue:

FRS/GMRS is terrestrial radio, basically a license-free walkie talkie. The range varies, but 4-5 miles through open air is pretty good, add hills, trees and rocks and it degrades. I have a pair that claims to carry 17 miles, but my experience is they're not any good for more than I've already quoted.

As a licensed HAM operator and GMRS license holder, I want to clarify that FRS is license free where as GMRS is not. You have to apply for a license to operate on GMRS.

Interesting thread. I have wondered about this.

We have 8 mile GMRS 2 way radios. They dont work for more than .3 miles. That is in a straight line with little obstructions. Like from my house to the end of the street which is straight. They do work for us though.

I just noticed that info on the license. I saw on the pack that a license is required but didnt think that it made sense. What is the difference between FRS and GMRS? Why is a license necessary?

Interesting thread. I have wondered about this.

We have 8 mile GMRS 2 way radios. They dont work for more than .3 miles. That is in a straight line with little obstructions. Like from my house to the end of the street which is straight. They do work for us though.

I just noticed that info on the license. I saw on the pack that a license is required but didnt think that it made sense. What is the difference between FRS and GMRS? Why is a license necessary?

FRS is limited to 500mw transmit power, and it's not legal to set up repeaters in the FRS band. GMRS radios can have anywhere from 1 to 5 watts of transmit power, and if somebody wanted a wider coverage range they could set up repeaters (though I've never seen a GMRS repeater).

The license fee is $80 for a five year license and there's no test involved. Theoretically, if the FCC caught you operating a GMRS radio without a license they could fine you, but I've never personally heard of anyone getting caught. I suppose you could jury rig an LPA to boost your transmit power, like people used to do with CB radios back in the day, and that would get the FCC's attention and get you fined.

Here in Colorado it's a pretty good idea to take one with you when you go up in the mountains. Cell coverage dies west of Woodland Park/Divide, and if you got in trouble you probably could eventually raise someone on the radio.

Here in Colorado it's a pretty good idea to take one with you when you go up in the mountains. Cell coverage dies west of Woodland Park/Divide, and if you got in trouble you probably could eventually raise someone on the radio.

All the more reason to become a licensed ham operator and carry a handhed. You can pretty much hit a local repeater anywhere in the US and get yourself some help. You're very limited with FRS and GMRS radios and I personally wouldn't rely on them in the backcountry/mountains :P

Hi I am curious as I have always wanted to study up the test to operate a ham. Do you use portable hams at all? What do you use them for mainly?

As a licensed HAM operator and GMRS license holder, I want to clarify that FRS is license free where as GMRS is not. You have to apply for a license to operate on GMRS.

Hi I am curious as I have always wanted to study up the test to operate a ham. Do you use portable hams at all? What do you use them for mainly?

There are a ton of really nice portable ham radio units. I use an old Alinco 2M rig as my main rig. I just never got into it enough to get a nice HF unit or anything (well, that and the no-code tech license anyway). Around here, 2M and 70cm/440Mhz are the popular bands with a fair number of repeaters available. I could usually run 500mw and hit most of them.

All the more reason to become a licensed ham operator and carry a handhed. You can pretty much hit a local repeater anywhere in the US and get yourself some help. You're very limited with FRS and GMRS radios and I personally wouldn't rely on them in the backcountry/mountains <_<

I'd say don't rely on them to contact anyone outside your party. I bought my pair of Rino's so I could keep rope teams in contact. They work well for that, especially in whiteout conditions.