Looking for unique Colorado caching suggestions

ScoutingWV

Hello,

I'll be flying to Colorado Springs in mid June and driving south along I-25 to Cimarron, NM. I've cached from Cimarron north of Trinidad to GC19 (still my favorite day of caching), but I haven't been in the Colorado Springs area before. I'll have a Saturday to drive down to NM and then I'll be coming back a week later.

My question to anyone who knows the area is, what caches would you recommend to a visitor? I'll have time to venture off the interstate a few miles and would prefer to steer clear of roadside micros. I'm also not going to have time to work out puzzles either before or during the trip. I'm more interested in the locations than the cache size, but if a micro gets me to a good spot - I'm happy to go.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the area surrounding the Southeast corner of the state, I'll have some time on Wednesday to get out some more. I was thinking of making a swing through the panhandles to knock of a few more states while I was out there. I'd appreciae tips on that area as well if you have them.

What's unique and different in the area? Whaere are the fun and entertaining caches located? All suggestions are welcome as a reply to this thread or an email through my profile. And of course, I'll return the favor if anyone visits WV on their way to GW5!

Thanks in advance!

ScoutingWV

Proactive welcome to the Springs and

feel free to email me through my profile if I can help further.

When you mentioned I-25 and traveling South I couldn't help but think of

Cheyenne Mountain State Park and

Red Rock open space and surrounding county spots.

PS: As friendly FYI, don't forget the possible altitude effects and bring water even for short jaunts.

Edited: For formatting

Edited by MrCOgeo

I haven't done too much caching down in the Springs yet. I will say it's too bad that caches don't have an elevation listed. It's amazing to me how far you have to go to move 200ft up! :cry:

On the local site, there's a page for the local's favorites (Recommended Caches).

If you have bugs and are looking for a spot to drop them, the COS Bug Depot is always open. :)

Hope that helps!

Happy caching!

I grew up in Colorado Springs and was recently there to visit family during the kids' Spring Break. A large City park near where my childhood house is is Palmer Park. It is a very scenic place and there are like 8 to 12 right in that area. There are a couple that have some fairly difficult terrain, but not too bad........and lots of great views of Pikes Peak.

Here is one of them in Palmer Park......(Colin's Cache) If you then use the map feature on this cache page, you can find a bunch of other close ones in the park.