Latest Mapsource & 60CSx software updates

eaparks

I'm still using Mapsouce v6.11.6 and GPS 60CSx software v3.10 due to some of the problems that were reported on here originally with v6.12 and v3.2. Also Garmin tech support recommended that I not update until some of the bugs were worked out of them. Since newer updates have come along now are any of you experiencing problems with these latest updates available v6.13.3 and v3.30?

Another question.

I use several Custom Maps and share some with others who use older model GPSrs, even black and white Etex models. I know that Mapsource v6.12.3 saves everything to a .gdb3 file and once converted from .gdb2 to .gdb3 it is not reversible. The older Mapsource versions used a .gdb2 file. Will I still be able to load .gdb3 files that contain Custom Maps to older model GPSrs such as the original Extrex Vista (black & white screen)?

This last question may play no bearing in how the .img files are loaded but I wanted to be sure before updating something that would take some time to undo.

Thanks very much for any input.

I'm still using Mapsouce v6.11.6 and GPS 60CSx software v3.10 due to some of the problems that were reported on here originally with v6.12 and v3.2. Also Garmin tech support recommended that I not update until some of the bugs were worked out of them. Since newer updates have come along now are any of you experiencing problems with these latest updates available v6.13.3 and v3.30?

Another question.

I use several Custom Maps and share some with others who use older model GPSrs, even black and white Etex models. I know that Mapsource v6.12.3 saves everything to a .gdb3 file and once converted from .gdb2 to .gdb3 it is not reversible. The older Mapsource versions used a .gdb2 file. Will I still be able to load .gdb3 files that contain Custom Maps to older model GPSrs such as the original Extrex Vista (black & white screen)?

This last question may play no bearing in how the .img files are loaded but I wanted to be sure before updating something that would take some time to undo.

I upgraded Mapsource and my 60CSx when the updates first came out and have had no problems at all.

No problems with my 60cx on v3.30, however I have a theory that is best to pull the micro sd card out before you update.

I second that, pull out the SD card before updating ... I didn't pull it out and the GPS got stuck. I then removed the SD -> rebooted -> updated and it was fine.

I upgraded my 76CSx with the card in, no problems.

Same here with my 60cx, no problems at all with the card in. I think some people are trying to guess why updating sometimes fails, and by happenstance when the card was removed they didn't have issues.

Hmm, interesting point about removing the microSD card!

Here's my (updated) 60csx upgrade instruction, follow this, and your unit should upgrade fine. If it doesn't, then blame Garmin!

1) Backup waypoints, routes, etc. Write down device configuration options.

2) Remove microSD card [new!]

3) Remove USB cable. Reset device to default by "enter + page w/ power" and choose "yes". Let unit initialize. Then turn it off, and back on again. (This ensures the unit has a clean state prior to flashing the new version. You don't want a potentially memory leaked/corrupted unit flashing the ROM!)

4) Connect USB cable, and update to newer version.

5) Reset device by repeat #2 again. (This ensures the unit has a clean state for this version, in case there are configuration state changes from prior version).

6) Put back microSD card, turn on unit, let it write map configuration data, turn off, and back on again.

7) Delete 3 Garmin waypoints, restore device configuration, waypoints, etc.

Last year, I upgraded my 60csx without performing the resets above, and went on a 3 week trip afterwards. My unit suffered occasional freeze up (for 1-2 seconds every now and then) when I am using it on the trip. Very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a 1GB Kingston microSD card with almost 1GB of map data. With v3.2 it still seems to happen now and then. Haven't experienced it with 3.30 yet.

Last year, I upgraded my 60csx without performing the resets above, and went on a 3 week trip afterwards. My unit suffered occasional freeze up (for 1-2 seconds every now and then) when I am using it on the trip. Very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a 1GB Kingston microSD card with almost 1GB of map data. With v3.2 it still seems to happen now and then. Haven't experienced it with 3.30 yet.

I have noticed these freezeups, but only when using 256mb-1gb cards. anything smaller I don't have any issues. It could be caused by something else, but I feel it has to do with the data card.

I know that Mapsource v6.12.3 saves everything to a .gdb3 file and once converted from .gdb2 to .gdb3 it is not reversible. The older Mapsource versions used a .gdb2 file. Will I still be able to load .gdb3 files that contain Custom Maps to older model GPSrs such as the original Extrex Vista (black & white screen)?

The latest MapSource will allow you to save a file to an older version as an option if you need it (say to send to someone with an older version of MapSource, or to use in a program that doesn't support gdb version 3). All that should happen is that you might lose some information not supported by the earlier gdb versions. I see though that you mention "Custom Maps"; I'm not sure how these work with MapSource, period, so there you are one your own ;)

<snip>

Can you provide a link to v6.13.3? I can only find v6.12.3. Thanks.

Thanks for all the info. concerning the updates everyone. Glad to know that the v6.12.3 will allow me to save the files as a .gdb2 file for sharing with older GPSr models.

As far as I know, v6.12.3 is the latest version. I made a typo in my original post and did not realize it until it was mentioned here.

Thanks

Edited by eaparks