My GPSMap 76CSX Kicks Butt!

I love this thing it is easy to use with one hand on the go comfortable to hold has every option i would want. works perfect And I see alot of people going after the 60csx but look at all the issues just on this forum go 76csx and you cant go wrong

There are really relatively few issues on this forum with this unit.

By and large I'd say the general concensus is that this in overall an excellent unit for the price from what I've read on these forums.

I love this thing it is easy to use with one hand on the go comfortable to hold has every option i would want. works perfect And I see alot of people going after the 60csx but look at all the issues just on this forum go 76csx and you cant go wrong

It's my understanding that internally the 60CSx and the 76CSx are identical. If one has an issue, so will the other.

Correct me if I am wrong anybody.

With heavy (i.e.-daily for work) use, the 76 has a tendency for its "battery clips" to snap off. The 60 has a different setup for "battery clips" and I have yet to see any issues with them. It's a real drag to have to rig something up with foil or paper clips on a relatively expensive unit like the 76 so the batteries work.

90% of the "issues" with the 60CSx is a failure to read the manual. Ignorance of the unit should not be confused with issues with the unit. Its a really powerful full featured GPS that simply rocks.

LOL! Now there’s an understatement! I would say that the 90% estimate is way conservative. There are a lot of newbees jumping into a 60CX/CSx as their first GPSr and they just don't have the time or can’t understand the manual. Kind of reminds me of teaching my daughter how to drive. “Dad, the car won’t go.” “Now honey, this is the key.” “The car won’t go without it.” Sorry if I’ve insulted anyone because I’m exaggerating some.

Edited by Cacheoholic

LOL! Now there’s an understatement! I would say that the 90% estimate is way conservative. There are a lot of newbees jumping into a 60CX/CSx as their first GPSr and they just don't have the time or can’t understand the manual. Kind of reminds me of teaching my daughter how to drive. “Dad, the car won’t go.” “Now honey, this is the key.” “The car won’t go without it.” Sorry if I’ve insulted anyone because I’m exaggerating some.

Just "won't take the time", imo.

The 60CSx was my first GPS and while I am still learning the device I don't just run to the boards anytime I don't understand something. And not everyone is guilty of this...but you see it a lot.

I love my 76csx ! I started out with with eTrex and eMap several years ago then worked my way up to the 76 series. I use the one I have now not just for caching but with other activities. I have my PPL and I use it for situational awareness. Plus I like the fact that I can come home after a flight and plug into pc and look at my profile of the flight, seeing what altitude changes were made (actually lost ;) ) during certian training manuvers, etc. I used to live in Colorado and it was neat to see the different altitude changes there too. I think my max elevation was 11K feet going through the Eisenhower tunnel (Vail Pass). I also work for a delivery company and this thing loaded with all the map software I can get my hands on comes in real handy on those back country roads. Even has the Jumpmaster feature for you skydivers. And of course all of the other features that come with the higher end Garmin units. This unit is a keeper for me !

With heavy (i.e.-daily for work) use, the 76 has a tendency for its "battery clips" to snap off. The 60 has a different setup for "battery clips" and I have yet to see any issues with them. It's a real drag to have to rig something up with foil or paper clips on a relatively expensive unit like the 76 so the batteries work.

I've been using the 76S for about 3 years now, maybe not every day, but it's definitely been through the mill. Never had a problem with battery installation in this time.

On a side note,,,, we went canoeing last Saturday and ended up tipping over. It was sure nice that my 76 floated and was able to be retirived easily. From what i could see, not a bit of water entered the unit either!

90% of the "issues" with the 60CSx is a failure to read the manual. Ignorance of the unit should not be confused with issues with the unit. Its a really powerful full featured GPS that simply rocks.

One of my caching partners has the 60cXs and its definitely had it's share of screwiness, not user error in these cases. I've seen it just lock up on her at times where she has had to take the batteries out to get it to reset. Also seen it just lose satellites completely and not get them back until the unit was turned off and powered back up again. Seems like there was a couple of other things like beeping noises but i can't remember the exact circumstances on those.

So far she's always gotten it back working by removing power but it does make me gunshy about getting a newer unit. I sure thought that the 76cXs was gonna be the way to go until i found that the electronics were the same. This being said, my main issues with the electronics is funtionality,, the newer models don't operate the same as my 76S. B)

Hi Mudfrog,

I use to have the 76S and I liked that one. Thats what prompt me to get the csx version of it. I prefer the color screen and it's weather-proofing factors. I've seen people write that the electronics were basically the same; Another cacher and I were out in my boat the other day and my gpsr had 9ft accy where his (60csx) was right beside mine for comparison and his had 16ft accy. Not sure why that big of a difference. Course they were varying but the margin stay pretty much the same. Are the antennas in a different layout from each other? I remember when my eMap would show 6-7 ft accy. when I had it mounted in a windshield mount.

Hi Mudfrog,

I use to have the 76S and I liked that one. Thats what prompt me to get the csx version of it. I prefer the color screen and it's weather-proofing factors. I've seen people write that the electronics were basically the same; Another cacher and I were out in my boat the other day and my gpsr had 9ft accy where his (60csx) was right beside mine for comparison and his had 16ft accy. Not sure why that big of a difference. Course they were varying but the margin stay pretty much the same. Are the antennas in a different layout from each other? I remember when my eMap would show 6-7 ft accy. when I had it mounted in a windshield mount.

You named two reasons that i wanted the 76cSx, the third of course was that is has the Sirf chipset. That's one thing i notice about her 60cSx, that it gets great reception almost all the time.

The two things i don't like about the newer units are that they left the case the same size but made the screen smaller, and that you can't scroll to input data (waypoint names and coordinates) into it like you could with the older units. I can deal with the smaller screen but im curious, how hard was it for you, this question is open to everyone, to get used to inputting waypoints manually using the alphanumeric display keypads? I've used her's a few times and i just don't care for it!

Yes, inputting waypoints is a little awkward, but it has been awhile since I have done that. I use the EasyGPS prog. and just send all waypoints to my gpsr. via USB. Every now and then I'll see something that I'm interested that has the coords. posted then I'll enter in manually. Just about 90% of all my waypoints are Geocache related. The EasyGPS prog. makes it real easy for waypoint management. I also agree with you on the screen size, if it had the same screen size as the eMap, that would be nice , then it would be a bit bulkier. Oh well, we can't have our cake and ice cream too.. :mad: All-n-all, I'm pretty pleased with this one.

I have a question for you experienced 76csx types...of what use is the geocaching menu? When I put cache info into the unit, they all show up in the Waypoints list, but never in the Geocaching list.

The Garmin site geocaching page says pretty much nothing about how to use the units best for geocaching.

Any hints, tips or explanations?

Regards,

WesternWilson

It depends on how you input the waypoints. If you are using GSAK you must make sure it is set to identify the waypoints (geocaches) as geocache not found. This gives it the geocache symbol and it then shows up in the geocache folder. If you input manually, make sure that the symbol used is the closed cache icon and again it will go in as a geocache. Any other symbols (icons) will list it as a waypoint. Hope that helps.

Since I download mine as GPX files it always shows up on the Geocaching view. Maybe it doesn't if you download .loc files. I suspect if that is what you are doing there is probably a setting somewhere that will address that problem. There are setting for just about everything else that you can thing of.....

I have had a very basic Garmin GPS for years and it is finally on the fritz so I have been thinking of upgrading to the 76CSX. I not only use my GPS for geocaching, but for long distance sailing and off-trail hiking/climbing. I am really excited about having maps and charts on my GPS. So... what are the red flags and what should I be aware of to manage my expectations???? :blink:

I have had a very basic Garmin GPS for years and it is finally on the fritz so I have been thinking of upgrading to the 76CSX. I not only use my GPS for geocaching, but for long distance sailing and off-trail hiking/climbing. I am really excited about having maps and charts on my GPS. So... what are the red flags and what should I be aware of to manage my expectations???? :blink:

I've been using the 76S for about 3 years now, maybe not every day, but it's definitely been through the mill. Never had a problem with battery installation in this time.

On a side note,,,, we went canoeing last Saturday and ended up tipping over. It was sure nice that my 76 floated and was able to be retirived easily. From what i could see, not a bit of water entered the unit either!

Interesting

If you meanone of the battery terminals, that has just happened to me

I don't change the batteries often (I use a cigarette socket adapter), so I was a bit surprised. IOt sio now being repaired under warranty

Is it a common problem?

Since I download mine as GPX files it always shows up on the Geocaching view. Maybe it doesn't if you download .loc files. I suspect if that is what you are doing there is probably a setting somewhere that will address that problem. There are setting for just about everything else that you can thing of.....

I do download them as GPsX files, using the icon on the geocaching page in question. That runs them through GeoBuddy, and I input them to the 76 from there. Nothing ever shows up in the geocaching menu!

But yes, you need a PhD to manage the unit! The manual is good, but assumes you know what you are doing, and a) most casual geocachers don't and :shocked: I sure don't!

I decided to upgrade from my Legend to the VistaCx, but they sent me the 76CSx instead. Great bargain for sure, but I now have to relearn the features.

I uploaded maps of the area, and when I run a route, it only displays the nearest cities. Is there a way to include a city that's quite a distance from my current location?

Interesting

If you meanone of the battery terminals, that has just happened to me

I don't change the batteries often (I use a cigarette socket adapter), so I was a bit surprised. IOt sio now being repaired under warranty

Is it a common problem?

This is what I am trying to say, without getting all the fans upset. It is still an excellent unit, Garmin just needs to improve the battery terminals! So far, the 60 seems to be be superior in this regard.

One thing I have noticed in transitioning between the eTrex and the 76 is that the pointer function does not seem to work as nicely. I used always to just follow the pointer to a geocache, and it reoriented pretty quickly to my changes in direction. The 76 pointer seems slow, very slow, to reorient if I turn around... :(

Anyone got any hints or tips for me on how to get it working better?

Regards,

WesternWilson

I too am loving my 76. I used to (well, still do) use a Lowrance GM100 which is state-of-the-artifact technology by today's standards. The functions of the 76 Cx are simply amazing but there are a few things lacking IMO and others that have left me slightly disappointed. I chose the 60/76 family when i purchased this Garmin due to the raves I had read on the receiver. I was always very impressed with the performance of my GM100 - especially when compared to some of Garmin's lower units 7 years ago and even today. With the exception of the warm restart lock on the 60/76s which is a matter of seconds or less, I prefer the performance of my OUTDATED Lowrance. The most annoying problem is the wandering on the 76. The Lowrances have a toggle function called 'pinning' in which the GPS will not show slight movements below a certain speed. Extremely useful when in areas of high cover or reflection. I used my 76 the other day for the first time when walking long distances for geocaching (WOW has geocaching changed since 5 years ago!). I actually had to set the GPSr to North up instead of track up - which I prefer -because it was SO annoying watching the screen rotate every second or so. I also left the unit sitting on an outside table for a couple of hours and it reorded something like 11 kms of travel! This doesn't happen with the Lowrance.

I also miss the configuraabilty of Lowrance. I again have read others rave about how the 60/76 is so configurable but I find it VERY lacking. The Lowrance had 16 difference screens in 3 different categories. One of the categories allowed for 10 different screens showing WHATEVER info the GPS read out - even two different maps on the same screen each individually configured. I liked this especially as I often found that I want a map screen that includes headings etc. in the data fields as well as a map screen displaying time distance pointer etc. Obvioulsy that would be too clutterred all on one map so with the Lowrance I could have one page displaying one set of info and the next displaying a different set - each with a map and I could simply switch back and forth. Also especially useful depending on whether I am flying, boating or driving. So far, when using the 76, I find myself constantly changing the data fields on the map screen while driving.

And I HATE the pan mode on the 76. Being able to remove the coords at the top is a necessity but I also wish there was more configurablity as to what detail is shown. Seems like no matter what zoom levels I set the Map points etc too, there are ALWAYS too many airports and hick-towns cluttering the screen. The declutter removes too much.

OK Ok, sounds like a rant. I really do like the unit and I am glad I purchased it - wouldn't give it up and I did compare it extensively to Lowrance before making the purchase so I do prefer it overall. Just hard to adjust I suppose to a different brand name after 7 years. Besides, I am sure Garmin techs factor in this stuff for firmware upgrades and newer lines.

Edited by MajBach