Practical jokes for cache fun,,,kewl or NOT?

As I mentioned, the last time this assinine and juvenile idea was brought up in the fora, I would beat such a cache with a stick, and then with rocks, to make sure it was harmless, and then I'd toss it down the mountain, or into the river. This idea is even more stupid than lamp post caches!

Actually, I have a lampost hide called "Another Cheesy Cache".

The cache itself is a magnetic altoid tin...but when you lift the skirt, there is a large rubber rat sitting there staring at you. Usually get's a response!

:shocked:

Brand new to geocaching and wanted to place my first cache. Looking for something out of the ordinary I was thinking about rigging the container with a practical joke. Like the loaded spring snake thingie that comes out when you open the lid. Is this considered in poor taste and not recommended or should I go for it? Nothing dangerous or too scary, but something different.

BTW what is the strangest or most original "suprise " you have encountered when opening a cache?

thats lame.

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

thanks for all your input and advice to make things better for everyone, don't be afraid to expand on your ideas and share them, way to dig deep and come up with something constructive :shocked:

Just give a warning on the cache page that if people don't like surprises and have a good sense of humor that they should pass this cache by.

There's a cache I know of with a fake snake in it. The cache description clearly states essentially what I've said above, without ruining the surprise - yet giving fair warning.

This is a good idea, should keep anyone from getting hurt feelings

To combine topies how about a cementary practical joke cache - when you lift the cache a hand pops out of the ground. Some geo-underware night have to be changed after that.

I would get a kick outta dat!!!! It's a little cpmplicated but I was thinking a deal where something comes slithering towards you thru the leaves and dirt. But that's a bit much I suppose,,,KISS :shocked:

Brand new to geocaching and wanted to place my first cache. Looking for something out of the ordinary I was thinking about rigging the container with a practical joke. Like the loaded spring snake thingie that comes out when you open the lid. Is this considered in poor taste and not recommended or should I go for it? Nothing dangerous or too scary, but something different.

BTW what is the strangest or most original "suprise " you have encountered when opening a cache?

thats lame.

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

thanks for all your input and advice to make things better for everyone, don't be afraid to expand on your ideas and share them, way to dig deep and come up with something constructive :shocked:

anytime

thanks for all your input and advice to make things better for everyone, don't be afraid to expand on your ideas and share them, way to dig deep and come up with something constructive :unsure:
Recently, Jeremy Irish said "Well put from someone who has a picture of a person on fire in their avatar" in this post. Replace "person on fire" with "couple holding their baby over a bear trap." :blink:
thanks for all your input and advice to make things better for everyone, don't be afraid to expand on your ideas and share them, way to dig deep and come up with something constructive :unsure:
Recently, Jeremy Irish said "Well put from someone who has a picture of a person on fire in their avatar" in this post. Replace "person on fire" with "couple holding their baby over a bear trap." ;)

Huh? I'm not picking up what your putting down,,,, :blink:

Recently, Jeremy Irish said "Well put from someone who has a picture of a person on fire in their avatar" in this post. Replace "person on fire" with "couple holding their baby over a bear trap." :blink:

Huh? I'm not picking up what your putting down,,,, ;)

He hit the wrong reply button, it the post below your's. I saw it as mom & dad helping the child over the dangerous device, not dangling him/her over it.

Someone wrote recently that placing a cache is really an attempt to entertain people. I'd say you are on the right track if you are willing to dedicate the extra time and effort to build and maintain a cache with moving parts. Try to go as low tech as possible in your first attempt at putting out a cache like this because there is definitely a learning curve that will you will have to overcome in the field.

It's really a matter of your own taste and personality as to how far you go with the "shock value' of your cache. Understand that the farther you go, the more likely you are to run into someone who takes exception to it for some reason. You got some feedback on that already here.

Someone wrote recently that placing a cache is really an attempt to entertain people. I'd say you are on the right track if you are willing to dedicate the extra time and effort to build and maintain a cache with moving parts. Try to go as low tech as possible in your first attempt at putting out a cache like this because there is definitely a learning curve that will you will have to overcome in the field.

It's really a matter of your own taste and personality as to how far you go with the "shock value' of your cache. Understand that the farther you go, the more likely you are to run into someone who takes exception to it for some reason. You got some feedback on that already here.

Good point,,we are here to have fun. Thanks for the support and sugestions. I will be makine the stash pretty close to home so maintenace should'nt be to hard. And yes we have a wide variety of folks here, some very negative , and some very, very nice to talk with :laughing:

Just placed my first joker cache I'll let you guys know how it goes after its posted and found by the local F.T.F. hopefulls. If it doesent go over well with them i will post the replys, and then move it to a more hot spot area and get them agen. I have an easy cache out but in almost 1 mo. it has only 3 hits. one i placed 2 weeks ago in pittsfield Ma. has like 20. Might move it near that one if this one shows a few hits on it. I want reactions.

Just placed my first joker cache I'll let you guys know how it goes after its posted and found by the local F.T.F. hopefulls. If it doesent go over well with them i will post the replys, and then move it to a more hot spot area and get them agen. I have an easy cache out but in almost 1 mo. it has only 3 hits. one i placed 2 weeks ago in pittsfield Ma. has like 20. Might move it near that one if this one shows a few hits on it. I want reactions.

yes I'd like more details and am curious on the finders reactions :blink:

I have come across a cache with a pop out snake in it and yes it did suprise me in fact that was the cache name and i have to say t was very funny to me i thought to myself a field cam would be funny to mount nearby to catch peoples reactions

A few years ago we found a cache that when you opened the amocan errie sounds came out. A small electronic box that looked like it came out of a halloween toy was glued to the underside of the lid. Not very scary, but memorable. In fact I still remember the name "haunted cache".

Here are the first 2 comments today,

May 7 by fkrol (949 found)

I think i grabbed one of those mice while in the dark place.

a good hide here.

Meet REDSOX61 on the way out.

He may have had a hold of a mouse too!

SL

Thanks

[view this log on a separate page]

May 7 by redsox61 (254 found)

Met fkrol on the way in. Lost out on the FTF by 5 mins. He told me to watch out for the one mouse that was still there and he was right,it got me too!! Nice hide TFTC REDSOX61

waiting for one more local to grab it just to here his reaction

I have always wanted to do a "Jumanji" box.

there wouldn't be anything particularly special about it except that as someone approached say, within 50 feet, the drums that played upon approach of the box in the movie would play. Perhaps they would get louder as you got closer?

There are a lot of technical hurdles.

there wouldn't be anything particularly special about it except that as someone approached say, within 50 feet, the drums that played upon approach of the box in the movie would play. Perhaps they would get louder as you got closer?

I like it. Can you do a herd of stampeding elephants and various other beasties too? That would be cool, but does add slightly to the technical hurdles. :P

I like it. Can you do a herd of stampeding elephants and various other beasties too? That would be cool, but does add slightly to the technical hurdles. :(

imagine it in 7.0 surround sound!!! the ground could shake from the sub-woofer :huh:

I like it. Can you do a herd of stampeding elephants and various other beasties too? That would be cool, but does add slightly to the technical hurdles. :(

imagine it in 7.0 surround sound!!! the ground could shake from the sub-woofer :huh:

imagine putting a couple hundred bucks out in the woods to be stolen!!!

(that's one of the "hurdles.") :(

This whole forum is lame. I don't like micro caches, I don't like mctoys, I don't like lamp shade caches, I don't like puzzle caches, I don't like urban caches, I don't like caches in parks, I don't like caches I have to hike 3 miles one way for, I don't like people who complain caches, I don't like people who complain about people complaining....

The point is that no matter what you decide to put out, somebody is not going to like it; especially people who heard about geocaching from their mother and (most importantly) have never placed a cache themselves. Pretty easy to call a cache idea "lame" and offer "K.I.S.S" as a solution when you have never placed a cache yourself and only have 15 recorded finds.

I'm no expert, but I at least know how difficult it is to try to come up with original ideas for a placement. I try to find every cache I have time for. If someone took the time and energy to think of an idea and place a cache, I will respect and cherish their effort. I don't believe any cache is lame, some are just a little more interesting to me than others.

Don't worry about idiots like that, just play the game the way you want to play. Just make sure that you try to follow the guidelines and keep things legal; you'll be fine. If people don't like it, they don't have to find it.

I once found a cache with a snake tied to the inside of the lid. The cache was nestled in a large evergreen tree. I pulled out the container and when I opened the lid quickly, a snake popped out. I threw the ammo can about 20 feet and all of the swag flew out. I after my heart beat slowed to normal, I picked up all of the swag while laughing the entire time.

Another cacher wrote a description for his placement as being this absolutely wonderful picnic and scenic area, but when I got to the cache area it was a hog farm. I did that one at night so I didn't know until I opened the car door and smelled the place. I tried to keep up the joke by writing a few descriptions of the lovely swimming and fishing pond at the location.

I personally think that any practical jokes that could involve sudden surprise or shock to a cache finder should be avoided at all costs. This would include noisemakers, explosives, pop-up snakes or spiders, flashbulbs, etc.

On the other hand, we personally had a lot of fun with our own very sick surprise practical joke cache for a short time until we ran into trouble with local law enforcement authorities over the matter of collateral destruction. We had a cache entitled "Psycho Cache Extreme -- DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON OR YOU DIE!". The cache was an ammo can cache at the end of a 1 mile hike into a forested wilderness area; the inside lid of the ammo can bore a 4" x 5" x 2" deep red metal box with a glass face and a big red button "labeled "INSTANT NUKULAR (sic) DEATH -- DO NOT PRESS" beneath the glass. The cache listing page plainly warned finders to only sign the log and advised them in the harshest possible terms NOT to crack the piece of glass and NOT to press the button beneath, as it would result in instant death due to nuclear explosion (in fact, the cache listing page made clear that the Terrain 5 rating was a "worst case" rating, incumbent only if someone ignored warnings and pressed the button.) A sign etched on the cover of the red "button box" inside cache bore the same warning. The logbook bore the same warning in large bold text, and the cache contained twelve large laminated sheets bearing the same warning in 24 point bold font. Amazingly, and we all knew that this would happen, some idiot whose name will not be mentioned -- in fact, it was the fourth finder of the cache, and it happened about a month after the cache had first been found -- chose to ignore the warning and broke the glass and pushed the button. The button had been hardwired to the denonation circuitry of the nuclear warhead of an antique Talos surface-to-air missile (this missile had been deployed by the Navy in the 70s and 80s and came in both non-nuclear and nuclear-tipped versions; we found ours at a large surplus aerospace-electronics vendor near Los Angeles) buried beneath the cache container, so you know what happened next! Fireworks! Well, the next thing you know, the admins of the local state park (where the cache had been located) tried to press charges against us for destruction of the forest and terrain for a quarter-mile radius around the cache, and geocaching.com permanantely deep-sixed the cache listing because it had involved a buried component (i.e., the buried nuclear warhead.) We never did hear from the family of the cacher who pushed the button. :(

:huh:

A find of one of my caches left a "practical joke" for me.

I was flipping through the developed photos in one of my cachecams and came across my friend(a fellow cacher's) face. I thought, "Oh, nice! I didn't know Marty hit this cache, I wonder why he didn't tell me?" Of course the next photo in the developed pile was a nice, close-up shot of his naked, hairy @ss. Mystery solved, bleah....

This whole forum is lame. I don't like micro caches, I don't like mctoys, I don't like lamp shade caches, I don't like puzzle caches, I don't like urban caches, I don't like caches in parks, I don't like caches I have to hike 3 miles one way for, I don't like people who complain caches, I don't like people who complain about people complaining....

The point is that no matter what you decide to put out, somebody is not going to like it; especially people who heard about geocaching from their mother and (most importantly) have never placed a cache themselves. Pretty easy to call a cache idea "lame" and offer "K.I.S.S" as a solution when you have never placed a cache yourself and only have 15 recorded finds.

I'm no expert, but I at least know how difficult it is to try to come up with original ideas for a placement. I try to find every cache I have time for. If someone took the time and energy to think of an idea and place a cache, I will respect and cherish their effort. I don't believe any cache is lame, some are just a little more interesting to me than others.

Don't worry about idiots like that, just play the game the way you want to play. Just make sure that you try to follow the guidelines and keep things legal; you'll be fine. If people don't like it, they don't have to find it.

I once found a cache with a snake tied to the inside of the lid. The cache was nestled in a large evergreen tree. I pulled out the container and when I opened the lid quickly, a snake popped out. I threw the ammo can about 20 feet and all of the swag flew out. I after my heart beat slowed to normal, I picked up all of the swag while laughing the entire time.

Another cacher wrote a description for his placement as being this absolutely wonderful picnic and scenic area, but when I got to the cache area it was a hog farm. I did that one at night so I didn't know until I opened the car door and smelled the place. I tried to keep up the joke by writing a few descriptions of the lovely swimming and fishing pond at the location.

Thanks for the advice. I know there will ALWAAYS be haterz and have learned to be tolerant of them also. I will keep trying to make a uniqe cache for people to find and hopefully end up on thier list of "never forget this find". Keep the stories coming , it makes for interesting reading,,,,, :laughing:

here they are so far for ( tails of the 3 blind mice gc12p9h )

May 17 by windsorhill5 (397 found)

Nice camo. Left Germany UFD TB

Mr and Mrs Windsorhill5

May 13 by Scamp&Greylock (142 found)

Oh my gosh! This was such a fun cache! I think we saw the same mouse... now what are the chances of that? Very cool! SL, Thanks for the excellent hide!

May 10 by Rocking the Goat (4237 found)

SL Left Goat Photo TFTC

May 8 by aquaman134 (155 found)

Hi Gene,

A pretty quick find. Coords. were right on. However I did get spooked at first. Great hide.

May 7 by redsox61 (297 found)

Met fkrol on the way in. Lost out on the FTF by 5 mins. He told me to watch out for the one mouse that was still there and he was right,it got me too!! Nice hide TFTC REDSOX61

<save a bit- doing my part for computer kind>

so you know what happened next! Fireworks! Well, the next thing you know, the admins of the local state park (where the cache had been located) tried to press charges against us for destruction of the forest and terrain for a quarter-mile radius around the cache, and geocaching.com permanantely deep-sixed the cache listing because it had involved a buried component (i.e., the buried nuclear warhead.) We never did hear from the family of the cacher who pushed the button. ;)

;)

So, you actually had the button rigged to fireworks and the cache started a fire?

That certainly sounds like poor judgment. If that's true, I'm surprised you didn't go to jail and end up on the nightly news.

Ya know it really is hard to tell when you're bsin. ;)

I guess you're succeeding.

<save a bit- doing my part for computer kind>

so you know what happened next! Fireworks! Well, the next thing you know, the admins of the local state park (where the cache had been located) tried to press charges against us for destruction of the forest and terrain for a quarter-mile radius around the cache, and geocaching.com permanantely deep-sixed the cache listing because it had involved a buried component (i.e., the buried nuclear warhead.) We never did hear from the family of the cacher who pushed the button. ;)

;)

So, you actually had the button rigged to fireworks and the cache started a fire?

That certainly sounds like poor judgment. If that's true, I'm surprised you didn't go to jail and end up on the nightly news.

Ya know it really is hard to tell when you're bsin. ;)

I guess you're succeeding.

First, by "fireworks" I think they mean the show began, ie the warhead exploded.

Second, what makes you think this is BS? You didn't hear about this on the nightly news? It was on all the major networks... or at least on 24...

here they are so far for ( tails of the 3 blind mice gc12p9h )

May 17 by windsorhill5 (397 found)

Nice camo. Left Germany UFD TB

Mr and Mrs Windsorhill5

May 13 by Scamp&Greylock (142 found)

Oh my gosh! This was such a fun cache! I think we saw the same mouse... now what are the chances of that? Very cool! SL, Thanks for the excellent hide!

May 10 by Rocking the Goat (4237 found)

SL Left Goat Photo TFTC

Looks like people are enjoying your cache as you inteded for them to. That's great. I still plan on doing something along the same lines. Thanks for keeping us posted,,,, ;)

May 8 by aquaman134 (155 found)

Hi Gene,

A pretty quick find. Coords. were right on. However I did get spooked at first. Great hide.

May 7 by redsox61 (297 found)