GoogleEarth KML

The display of KML overlays on Google Earth shows two different symbols/icons for caches. These change from the usual symbols (eg. green cache box within a circle) to yellow push-pin icons seemingly at random times. Also the names of the caches associated with the symbols change or disappear altogether. Can someone tell me how to interpret these KML presentations on Google Earth? :(

As a premium member, you might consider downloading Pocket Query info as .GPX files and then open those in Google Earth. The icons do not "drift" and you will see different icons for different types of caches. Use GSAK to combine several PQs for a large area. I use GE that way and find it more useful.

As a premium member, you might consider downloading Pocket Query info as .GPX files and then open those in Google Earth. The icons do not "drift" and you will see different icons for different types of caches. Use GSAK to combine several PQs for a large area. I use GE that way and find it more useful.

Thanks. I haven't used Pocket Queries yet but will try soon. I HAVE downloaded gpx files. How do I use those in Google Earth?

I'm sure there is more than one way, but what I do is run them through gpsbabel and export them as .kml files. You can have GE open those from the file menu. No drifting problems, and I get the nice icons. Labels are stable too.

(Running Linux version of GE)

VKsnr

Edited by VKsnr

There's no need to convert a pocket query GPX file into a KML file prior to opening it in Google Earth. Earth will open the GPX files directly. If there's a benefit to converting them first, I'd be grateful if someone could post about it.

I am not able to open a gpx file directly in GE. I can use the Geocaching Network KML file for connection to Geocaching.com, but then I experience the problems the the OP reports. By converting a PQ gpx into a local kml, I do not have this problem at all.

Also, I am then able to use the local kml file in other things like ww2d without needing a live connection. Among other things.

VKsnr

I am using an older version of GE and here is what I get:

Opening the GPX file from this site directly into GE, shows a regular (non-cache) icon, and the GC number. Clicking on the icon gives the link to the cache page.

Running the GPX file through Google Earth Tweaker to generate a KML file:

Shows the appropriate cache type icon. Holding mouse pointer over the icon and the full name of the cache shows. Clicking shows the full cache description and images, and link to the cache page.

Running the GPX file through GPSBabel to generate a KML file:

shows the cache type icon and GC number. clicking on the icon shows a short description and link to the full cache page.

Processing/filtering your GPX in GSAK, then creating a new GPX to then run through GPSbabel to create a KML:

Similar results to using Tweaker as described above.

Have fun.

I use the latest version of google earth and simple drag and drop the .GPX file into it - I get all the icons and links and a goof bit of info by clicking the icons - looks nice!!!

Be sure to open the "time" slider in the upper right corner to show all caches placed over the time period in the GPX file.

The display of KML overlays on Google Earth shows two different symbols/icons for caches. These change from the usual symbols (eg. green cache box within a circle) to yellow push-pin icons seemingly at random times. Also the names of the caches associated with the symbols change or disappear altogether. Can someone tell me how to interpret these KML presentations on Google Earth? :D

That's been happening for me also since I upgraded Google Earth. Never happened with the previous version.

I use the latest version of google earth and simple drag and drop the .GPX file into it - I get all the icons and links and a goof bit of info by clicking the icons - looks nice!!!

Be sure to open the "time" slider in the upper right corner to show all caches placed over the time period in the GPX file.

Cool. I hadn't realized you could do this. This is great and easy (I like easy).

The display of KML overlays on Google Earth shows two different symbols/icons for caches. These change from the usual symbols (eg. green cache box within a circle) to yellow push-pin icons seemingly at random times. Also the names of the caches associated with the symbols change or disappear altogether. Can someone tell me how to interpret these KML presentations on Google Earth? :D

I pretty sure I'm right but maybe I'm not so some one can correct me but I thought it had to do with how zoomed in you were. When you are out farther it will just show the yellow push pin, but when you come in closer you get the GC icon, similar thing with the names. I also was unaware that you could open your PQ in google earth if that gets ride of the floating caches im all over that. I'll have to try it out.

Cool. I hadn't realized you could do this. This is great and easy (I like easy).

You can also click VIEW>SHOW TIME>NEVER to avoid having to adjust the time slider

I'd like to know what version of GE for what operating system opens GPX files, because mine sure doesn't (version 4.0.2723 on Linux).

Same here. I have the same version on openSuSE 10.1

If I try and drag and drop I get a message "This file format is not supported by Google Earth"

I like my gpsbable process - no limit to the number of stuff on the screen, icons correct.

VKsnr

Google Earth 4 on Linux doesn't support GPX. Complain about that (loudly) on the GEC.

On the other two OSes supported by Earth, running GPSBabel to convert GPX to KML and just plopping it directly to Earth should be identical. Why? Because GE invokes GPSBabel to (taaa-daaa) convert GPX to KML.

But the problem is, you still can't look at all the "non-found", existing caches in GE! Here is my desire:

I want to find large concentrations of geocaches - preferably those series that are along a road. Texas is a really big state! I want to look at the gc.com KML file in GE so I can see where those series are. But I don't want to see the ones I have found. (It would be nice if I could filter out Mystery caches also...) I sure wouldn't want to have to create the PQs to encompass all the geocaches that I haven't found for the state of Texas or any where else! So all the discussion about how to put PQ's into GE doesn't really help because if I have a PQ, I created it and already know what is in it and where the caches are (because I already opened it in MapSource to see the results of the PQ.) With GE, I can scroll back and forth until I find the right series at least... I can't create a PQ to satisfy my requirements because I don't know where those series are.

Ok, I think y'all get the drift... question is, does Groundspeak? How hard can it be?

I'd gladly pay $5 a month for GC.COM membership to be able to filter results in GE....

Barry

aka Doc Geo