Garmin 60csx Map Uploading

I have a Garmin 60csx and the City Nav NA NT mapping software. I just bought a 2gb card. The card works a does receive data but when I try to upload the whole map which is just under 1gb it says there is not enough room. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution or an answer as to why this is happening?

Thanks

I have a Garmin 60csx and the City Nav NA NT mapping software. I just bought a 2gb card. The card works a does receive data but when I try to upload the whole map which is just under 1gb it says there is not enough room. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution or an answer as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Try formating the card itself that may help. I just uploaded all of City Nav 8 to my 2 gig card and it took up 1.6 gigs worth of space. It could be that sectors of the card are bad and that will limit your space as well. You best bet is too hook it up to a computer with out the GPS and see what the computer tells you. If all else fails return the card and get a new one.

Thanks

I had that happen and thought it was just something to do with Garmin not recommending the 2gig card and a software limit written in the mapsource program. So i just loaded the maps in smaller sections and got the whole thing on piece by piece,,,

Thanks

I had that happen and thought it was just something to do with Garmin not recommending the 2gig card and a software limit written in the mapsource program. So i just loaded the maps in smaller sections and got the whole thing on piece by piece,,,

Are you sure you have the "whole thing"? Because last time I used it, MapSource "replaced" the existing mapset with the current selection, instead of "adding to it".

Jan

Thanks

Are you sure you have the "whole thing"? Because last time I used it, MapSource "replaced" the existing mapset with the current selection, instead of "adding to it".

Jan

Yeah what Jan said, if there's something new that allows adding I WANT IT!!!!

Just to clarify:

"Last time" meant "today". I am for quite some time in the process of creating custom TOPO maps, and since I don't want to reload my 1GB chip every time I try out another map compilation, I swap in the original 64MB chip during development. That way I can simply put back the 1GB card with the stable map set for using the GPS.

Jan

Got it working I think there just was not enough free space on my computer to transfer all the data at once.

Is it possible to check the space available with the card in the unit?

From the main menu hit "Setup" hit "Interface", there is a "USB Mass Storage" button on the bottom of the page. The chip in your unit will become just a regular USB jump drive.

Yes, you can store whatever you want on it just like on every other Jump drive. No, your GPS will not play MP3's or transmit them to the satellites.

Jan

Thanks

Jan

actually I have mislead you. I did not load ALL the maps,just the western states.But I did put it in in three steps. each time I just add more segments to the ones I had in there. Put simply if ca was pink from the first load, i selected nevada and loaded it. I prolly just added nevada and redid ca and not smart enough to understand what happen

Edited by wurthless

Yes, format the chip and load directly onto the chip with a card reader. I got nothing but errors trying to load City Navigator via USB onto a 76csx.

Hi, how to you load maps directly onto the card using a card reader? I'm having nothing but trouble trying to transfer maps onto my 60Cxs over USB and I'm thinking about buying a card reader to try this method.

Are they just simple files? Do I need to copy them to a special folder? Any database files to edit, tricks, or anything odd? Or are we just talking about a simple file copy and everything magically works?

Thanks for any help....

Wait a minute .. don't you need the unlock code or something to download the maps from mapsourse?

From what I got from that answer, you are still using the MapSource software to transfer the data so you still need a code. You're just transferring directly to a memory card instead of through your GPSr to a memory card. I take it the "unlocking" stuff is encoded into the maps during the transfer to allow or disallow the maps to work with your particular GPSr.

I am loading maps as we speak.... well, type. Loading all V8 maps to a Sandisk 2GB through a card reader. Do start the transfer, I just clicked on upload to device, it recognized my card reader and is currently at 31% loaded with 36 minutes to go.

If it doesn't load, or work when I insert the card into my 60 Cx, I will post back.

BobII