Atributes and exit numbers?

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

These things may have been brought up before but I only have 12 minutes left on thes computer so here goes

Is there a chance of making it so that highway exit numbers can show on the GeoCaching.com map?

When on GeoCaching.com maps, clicking "Identify" is there a chance of making it so that attribites can be shown along with the cache name? it looks like they could fit nicely next to the state name.

Both of these features would be an enormous help to those of us who are traveling and using the map feature to see what there is where we will be driving, and the addition of the Trucker Friendly attribute would help too.

I see "trucker friendly" as a location that allows a tractor and a 53' trailer enough room to get turned around legally and park legally. Where they are legal, you would even include an area that allows tandem trailer rigs enough room to do the same.

You would need to write the manufacturers of the mapping products.

You could use the handy Highway Exit Numbers Waymark catagory to generate a list of caches ...er exits... that show up as "Exit" icons in the maps. Scroll over the exist Icon and you can see the exit number. This could be done with the existing software and maps.

Star, I've seen that site also, but can't remember where.

As far as "Trucker friendly" goes, we need to park legally and safely. Even though a cache may be along a highway, the GeoTruckers site doesn't recognize shoulder or illegal parking.

There is no reason why a highway and exit number couldn't be provided in the cache description. When I run a PQ, I limit it to within half mile of the route, that gives me a mile round trip walk at most. Providing the exit number merely allows us to rack our brains for the available parking, or possibly check our truckstop locator books, in addition to allowing us to pay attention to the driving right up to the time we take the exit ramp. The best format for those who choose to provide this would be "TX I-20 x503". In the case of rest areas or caches that could not be safely done by travelers of either direction, "TX I-20 X503 EB". Keep it simple but accurate, and to translate for the uninformed, the second example reads "Texas, Interstate 20, exit number 503, for eastbound travelers."

Edit for spelling.

Edited by Trucker Lee

Star, I've seen that site also, but can't remember where.

As far as "Trucker friendly" goes, we need to park legally and safely. Even though a cache may be along a highway, the GeoTruckers site doesn't recognize shoulder or illegal parking.

There is no reason why a highway and exit number couldn't be provided in the cache description. When I run a PQ, I limit it to within half mile of the route, that gives me a mile round trip walk at most. Providing the exit number merely allows us to rack our brains for the available parking, or possibly check our truckstop locator books, in addition to allowing us to pay attention to the driving right up to the time we take the exit ramp. The best format for those who choose to provide this would be "TX I-20 x503". In the case of rest areas or caches that could not be safely done by travelers of either direction, "TX I-20 X503 EB". Keep it simple but accurate, and to translate for the uninformed, the second example reads "Texas, Interstate 20, exit number 503, for eastbound travelers."

Thanks for that explanation. Although I doubt I'll place such a cache (I think all such locations around here have already been taken), it is nice to know about that terminology.

The question has been asked a number of times what defines a "Truck Friendly" cache. The following is taken from the Geotruckers.com web site "What is a trucker friendly page. The requirements are very simple basic common since items based on safety and accessibility.

Note: I am allowed to post this here because I'm the one that wrote it.

What is a Truck friendly Cache?

Simply put, a trucker friendly cache is a cache located within walking distance of a 70 foot parking place. Unfortunately, this is quite restrictive. Trucks are not usually welcome at mall parking lots or many other public places where you'd normally expect to park your car. We need lot's of room to park our trucks (or RV's), that's a safe location and a reasonable distance on foot. Following are a few simple requirements for a trucker friendly cache.

1. Ample parking for an 18 wheeler. (Rest area's Truck stops, "safe" pull out's etc.) Freeway exit ramp's are not only not safe, but illegal in many areas

2. A reasonable walking distance from the parking area.

3. The walking path must be safe. A busy street or narrow road without a sidewalk or walking trail is probably not a good idea.

Something to keep in mind. Just because you see a truck parked some place does not necessarily been that "any" truck can park there. It may be a trucking company, a warehouse or some other business that only allows trucks to park there on business. If in doubt, ask the owners.

Also, dropping your trailer is not a good idea. Although some drivers do this, it can get you fired from most companies if your caught, and you risk the trailer and load getting stolen.

With a little effort and common since Geocaching can be available and safe to truckers and RV'ers

Happy GeoTruckCaching. :)