Accidental Caching

Lucky46

I found a Magellan eXplorist 100 on the ground out in the wilds of the Green Swamp yesterday while scouting a new hide. Pity the guy never entered his personal data - the thing has no base maps, and only 13 POIs entered, but I'd say from the tracks (which he never cleared) that he lives near me on the west side of the swamp. No maps, hand entry of coords only - not a geocaching unit. I'd love to return it....

I created a 5 part series of caches, and let Google Earth do a good deal of my legwork, locating interesting locations which were free of caches. When I placed the first ammo can, I found a large, black painted plastic jar just a few feet away. I looked inside and found trinkets, a blank logbook and a dollar bill. I took the dollar and signed the log as FTF, returning home to try and locate which cache I had found.

Nothing showed up at GC .com, so I checked TC & NC, with no luck. I then contacted a reviewer to see if it was awaiting approval, but again, no luck. After a few weeks, I placed my cache, and mentioned the mystery cache in my write up. To date, no one has claimed the cache as theirs, and when my cache was muggled, this one went missing as well.

Renegade Knight has forgotten the cache we found together while we were attempting to hide a cache at the same spot. We had been discussing this location for a while, but had procrastinated a little to long. When we got ready to slide our cache into this hiding spot we were surprised to find the spot already occupied. All was not lost since we logged our find.

:laughing:

The first time I took my niecephews caching they found a letterbox in roughly

the same location. One of my nephews even knew what letterboxing was.

I solved one of Team Spoonhead's mystery caches and on my second visit

to the location found a container with a soaking wet log. I reported it, only

to be told that I had found an older version that had gone MIA in deep snow

more than a year before. The newer container is supposedly nearby.

I found my cache by accident.

:laughing::grin:

I thought the cache had been muggled and replaced it with a new 'on the stop' container. That container leaked so a went back and put a good container out. On this second trip I happened to walk some distance away and there lay the original cache in perfect condition.

I was out jet skiing on the lake last summer. I pulled up on an island and found an ammo box laying on the beach. The ammo box had "geocaching.com yes, deer" written on the side of it. This is a cache I had previously done, but on an island about two miles away. There was several logs from muggles in the log book, including the muggle who said the game looked cool and they will move the box to a different location so somebody else can find it. I grabbed the box and moved it back to the proper location.

My wife and I have found two caches here in central Labrador without prior knowledge of the caches. One, "The Search For Spock", was found while we were looking to hide one of our own in the same place practically, and another, called "Where Am I?" was found while snowmobiling. It hadn't even been posted when we found it! This last one was part of a multi, which we did eventually do the other stages of!

I was in the parking lot of a local WalMart when I saw a 35mm film container laying on the ground. Then I noticed it had a Geocache sticker on it. A nearby lamp post had been vandalized, so I deduced that the cache had fallen out and never even noticed by the vandals. I put it back where I thought it belonged and, on line, was able to identify the cache and notified the owner of what happened.

Claimed the find, though. :o

Last month my wife and I were caching in the Ocala National Forest and stopped to pick up one road-side cache. Since it was right next to a fairly busy highway, we decided to take the cache and step off the road into the woods to do the logging. Found a nice dense set of bushes to block the view from the highway and as I stepped up to the bushes (about 50 feet from the cache), I found an old peanut butter jar cache there. It had been crushed and had some bear teeth holes in it, but the contents were in fair condition. We did a little research and found it was the first version of the cache we had gone for, but had been lost for almost 2 years. It had only been out for about a month when it got "bear muggled". It was interesting that lots of people had been there in those 2 years to log the cache but none had seen the old missing one. Maybe it was hidden deeper in the brush and recently brought out by a critter? Maybe it was uncovered by some of the high winds we had recently. However it wound up there, it was nice to go out and find more caches than we went looking for! :o

i letterbox alot. and i find geocaches all the time. i think its the same mind set. "Oh that looks like a good hidey hole. whoops someone already thought of that." i log them and go about my letterboxing making sure i go a long way aways from the GC so that no one muggles my letterbox

The following log is for this cache I found today:

Was picking up a group of seniors coming up to Calumet (the camp & conference center I work for), they wanted to stop here for lunch. As I wasn't expecting to go caching, I didn't have my GPS or any info, other than that the "Off Your Rocker" series could be found at these locations. Waiting for the rest of the group to finish up inside, I was out in the rockers with some folks just chatting. I mentioned that there was probably a geocache here somewhere, which lead to a discussion of what geocaching is. As I was talking, I spotted the corner of the cache peeking out at me. I had to get off my rocker to get it. Retrieved and signed log with the "cover" of my muggle-friends. (You can do about anything when about 10 people milling around you know you don't want others to know what you are doing!) Thanks for this unexpected cache!

Yup, I did:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...1f-7ea36b72c5ac

I also left two caches out in the wilds and then my life got busy and I moved before I had a chance to post them. In the move I lost the coordinates of both. I went back to both areas a year later and was able to find one, which it appeared that no one had ever found, but could not locate the precise area of the other and thus was unable to retrieve it. So, if you are ever out doing the final two stages of Blue Moon:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-f109887db4d5

and you look in the upright portion of an old, fat, tree trunk, you may find yourself with an accidental find. Someday I plan on looking for it again - you never know.