Anyone tell me the difference between Venture Cx & Legend Cx?

I'm still trying to decide on gear. From looking at Garmin's website, the only difference I can see between these units is that the Legend Cx comes with a microSD card included and the Venture Cx does not. If I know I'm upgrading to more memory (which everyone - or at least most - convinced me to do), why should I not buy the cheaper Venture Cx?

I'm still trying to decide on gear. From looking at Garmin's website, the only difference I can see between these units is that the Legend Cx comes with a microSD card included and the Venture Cx does not. If I know I'm upgrading to more memory (which everyone - or at least most - convinced me to do), why should I not buy the cheaper Venture Cx?

There's really no difference, except for the memory card (and unit color). For the price difference, you can get a 2gb memory card.

Yep! No difference whatsoever! Except colour! At least you won't lose it being bright yellow! as said before you can save money and buy the Venture Cx and buy a bigger memory card and a USB lead and still have change!

In all honesty I have a Venture CX with the latest firmware and think it is a superb bit of kit for the money.

Just wish I could have bought my 60Cx without the 64meg Micro SD Card and saved on that as well!

Yep! No difference whatsoever! Except colour! At least you won't lose it being bright yellow! as said before you can save money and buy the Venture Cx and buy a bigger memory card and a USB lead and still have change!

In all honesty I have a Venture CX with the latest firmware and think it is a superb bit of kit for the money.

Just wish I could have bought my 60Cx without the 64meg Micro SD Card and saved on that as well!

Can anyone take a look at this link and tell me if one of these is the type of mini-USB that Garmin uses? Unfortunately, mini-USB is not a standard plug, but these are the two most common. I'm trying to figure out if I already have a compatible cable like Miragee did. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mini_usb_AB.jpg

It's the on the right on my 60CSx. It's a pretty standard, my Blackberry uses the same one.

Can anyone take a look at this link and tell me if one of these is the type of mini-USB that Garmin uses? Unfortunately, mini-USB is not a standard plug, but these are the two most common. I'm trying to figure out if I already have a compatible cable like Miragee did. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mini_usb_AB.jpg

These are very common. I got a Zip-Link type cord which goes from a standard USB to a mini-B, at Sears, of all places.

As a newbie who's interested in this hobby, but not yet made the first step by buying a GPS unit, my mind boggles with all the possibilities! 6 or 8 different Magellans, 6 or 8 different types by Garmin, as well as other manufacturers.

I don't want to spend much more than $150-200 with the first GPS I buy, so the Venture CX seems pretty reasonable, and everyone seems to like it.

I have a couple questions for some of you veterans. If I just plan on using this to go geocaching in my city (population 50K) and a nearby similar-sized city 20 miles away, could I use internal memory for that, or is it best to use an SD card?

If an SD card, what size in Megs would be best?

Can I download local maps for free for this, or do you have to pay and buy a CD or something else that has your state map?

Thanks for your help and advice.

If you get the Venture Cx, since it can auto-route you with the correct maps installed, you might want to purchase those. You cannot download them. They have "Unlock" codes. You can install them on several computers you use or own, but only two GPSrs.

I have the City Navigator 8 maps on my Vista C.

I have all the San Diego metropolitan area, plus a large area of the region Topo maps, installed on the 24 MB of internal memory. For most of my caching, those are all the maps I need. :huh:

...I have a couple questions for some of you veterans. If I just plan on using this to go geocaching in my city (population 50K) and a nearby similar-sized city 20 miles away, could I use internal memory for that, or is it best to use an SD card?...

My understanding is that these units have no internal map memory.

As for the card size you would need. My GPS V has 19mb. I have all of Southern Idaho and A fair chunk of Northern Utah including Salt Lake in memory. For what you want, you would be hard pressed to even find a card too small to do the job.