Some people...

ArtieD

One thing I am learning is that it seems to be cheaper to make your own coins and trade to build a collection than it is to buy a collection coin-by-coin. I have to admit, I wouldn't have thought that possible, but it seems to be the case.

You're right there. I have done the math and did exactly that with 2, soon to be 3, coins so far. The money I laid out for the minting is well covered by the face value of the coins I traded for.

If someone is going to make a coin and have it sold then they shouldn't be complaining about others buying and reselling the coins. When you offered it up for sale you basically gave away your right to say what happens to it. Thats the way the market works. If you don't want to see your coin sold on ebay then don't sell it in the first place, make it strictly for trade. The chances of a bunch of them ending up being resold are probably a lot less.

If you don't want to see your coin sold on ebay then don't sell it in the first place, make it strictly for trade. The chances of a bunch of them ending up being resold are probably a lot less.

Realistically, if you don't want it sold on eBay, don't let it out of your physical possession.

it's a fact, that pretty much anything that isn't physically attached to you has a good chance of ending up on ebay eventually :anitongue:

If you don't want to see your coin sold on ebay then don't sell it in the first place, make it strictly for trade. The chances of a bunch of them ending up being resold are probably a lot less.

Realistically, if you don't want it sold on eBay, don't let it out of your physical possession.

it's a fact, that pretty much anything that isn't physically attached to you has a good chance of ending up on ebay eventually :anitongue:

True. But the seller should take some responsibility as well. There are people here who claim to be nicey nice, trade for a trade only coin, then put it up on eBay. Isn't there some integrity lost there as well. I think they should be known, that way when Cacher X comes along and makes their trade only coin, they know who not to trade with if they want to increase their chances of their coin not being on eBay. That is one of the purposes of this forum, to enlighten everyone to everything oing on, not just the good things. We should have each other's backs and watch out for one another agaisnt these people. I know of several people that I will never trade with regardless of what they have to offer based on the way they do buisness. There are also some people who personally I could care less about but that I would trade with because I know their trades are legit.

....There are people here who claim to be nicey nice, trade for a trade only coin, then put it up on eBay. Isn't there some integrity lost there as well....

Only if the terms and condistions of the trade are known by both parties and agreed to before the trade happens. If a trade happens and then it's "oh and by the way it's a trade only coin" the person recieving the coin is not under any obligation at all. The person who decided to inform them after the fact is in the wrong and should not expect compliance.

If I make a trade it's my coin in all ways. If I find out after the fact that it was supposed to be trade only. I'm not going to honor an after the fact rule. If I find out it's trade only before hand. I won't trade because in my world I'm trading for complete ownership. Not partial. Besides my kids won't know what to do with them when I die and they will got sold for pennies on the dollar at my estate sale.

One thing I am learning is that it seems to be cheaper to make your own coins and trade to build a collection than it is to buy a collection coin-by-coin. I have to admit, I wouldn't have thought that possible, but it seems to be the case.

You're right there. I have done the math and did exactly that with 2, soon to be 3, coins so far. The money I laid out for the minting is well covered by the face value of the coins I traded for. ...

Traders are going to wise up to this soon enough.

A geoSquid trade only version 4 will be worth much less than a cacher who's coin only has one version.

For now the market isn't there.

A geoSquid trade only version 4 will be worth much less than a cacher who's coin only has one version.

Although I agree with what you're saying as far as "yes people think that way", it's probably worth noting that I don't think that way and don't trade that way. I'm not interested in the rarest coins, I'm interested in coins that I think look nice... it's a bonus if they're rare in some way, but that's not an overriding factor for me.

To me, a coin is a coin is a coin. I either like it or I don't. A Moun10bike coin, for example, is worth no more to me than a damenace. Personally, I have preferences for the things I want to look at, but no coin has a higher intrinsic value to me (except the pure silver american flag geocoin). At the end of the day, they're all travel bugs or ornaments :unsure:

The multiple finish "LE Chrome" of the first geoSquid was a n00b thing that I have only repeated once (with GAG8), and that was a coin done about the same time. It's not something I'll do again (GAG9, GAG10, v2 geoSquid are 1 finish but for some designer specials on the GAG coins).

The V2 is a different finish because I wanted a gold coin. The number made reflects my budget. Sometimes I think geocoin hobbyists are looking for some kind of angle in what other hobbyists are doing.

Me, I trade in 1:1 ratio. I don't give up 2 or more coins to get 1, ever. There's too many nice coins out there to bother with those coins that people value too much to trade 1:1 <_<

Although I agree with what you're saying as far as "yes people think that way", it's probably worth noting that I don't think that way and don't trade that way. I'm not interested in the rarest coins, I'm interested in coins that I think look nice... it's a bonus if they're rare in some way, but that's not an overriding factor for me.

To me, a coin is a coin is a coin. I either like it or I don't. A Moun10bike coin, for example, is worth no more to me than a damenace. Personally, I have preferences for the things I want to look at, but no coin has a higher intrinsic value to me (except the pure silver american flag geocoin). At the end of the day, they're all travel bugs or ornaments <_<

The multiple finish "LE Chrome" of the first geoSquid was a n00b thing that I have only repeated once (with GAG8), and that was a coin done about the same time. It's not something I'll do again (GAG9, GAG10, v2 geoSquid are 1 finish but for some designer specials on the GAG coins).

The V2 is a different finish because I wanted a gold coin. The number made reflects my budget. Sometimes I think geocoin hobbyists are looking for some kind of angle in what other hobbyists are doing.

Me, I trade in 1:1 ratio. I don't give up 2 or more coins to get 1, ever. There's too many nice coins out there to bother with those coins that people value too much to trade 1:1 :unsure:

Exactly! :o

And trackable coins are not worth more than non-trackable.... :o

...Me, I trade in 1:1 ratio. I don't give up 2 or more coins to get 1, ever. There's too many nice coins out there to bother with those coins that people value too much to trade 1:1 <_<

That all gets put in the mix and helps set 'value'. Right now the geocoin market is not very efficient. If it were you could not spend 20.00 on eBay, 10.00 in the forums, or trade your 5.00 coin for it with a person who got extras.

Part of why it's inefficient is that a lot of people have their heart and souls invested in coins. They like the community, they like trading with others, they like the signature coins, and their coins are not just something they bought but something they designed.

I tend to like and keep the coins that have a little more heart and soul than the rest though my criteria for those coins is different than you may have. Actually that angle is why I even like geocoins at all.

...Me, I trade in 1:1 ratio. I don't give up 2 or more coins to get 1, ever. There's too many nice coins out there to bother with those coins that people value too much to trade 1:1 <_<

That all gets put in the mix and helps set 'value'. Right now the geocoin market is not very efficient. If it were you could not spend 20.00 on eBay, 10.00 in the forums, or trade your 5.00 coin for it with a person who got extras.

Part of why it's inefficient is that a lot of people have their heart and souls invested in coins. They like the community, they like trading with others, they like the signature coins, and their coins are not just something they bought but something they designed.

I tend to like and keep the coins that have a little more heart and soul than the rest though my criteria for those coins is different than you may have. Actually that angle is why I even like geocoins at all.

Believe me, my happy-squid *IS* me :unsure: But I also recognize that they are geocoins, not cures for cancer.

I am going to try and keep this short and sweet. If you take 100 people, you will most likey get 100 opinions. That is the way things work. As someone who is in process of a few basicly commerical coins(even though they have a special meaning to us in our family) as well as a personal coin; I think if I make a coin that someone was willing to pay a higher price for "GREAT" it means I did a good job in making that "WOW" factor work. We currently sell coins at that Eplace and are working on seting up our own web store for our coins. I use alot of the profits to build my collection, since at this point I don't have coins to trade. When we get them in hand I plan on doing lots of trades. I don't trade for coins I already have and therefore those don't get sold. If I go to a store where they are selling a product and buy it for $8 dollars and sell it for $9 how does that hurt the store or person I buy from. They have already gotten what they wanted out of it. If you don't want your coins sold, hmmmm don't sell them. Keep them in your pocket. We are making our coins in Editions. One that is numbered and those will be given to friends or as special trades. I hope that they like them enough to hold on to the coin. If not, its not mine anymore to get upset over. We are also putting out a regular edition of each for us to sell(both at Esite, here, and through web store),to trade, and to put to travel in the wild. It wil be available through us at any point, so if someone wants to buy it for more at that site, ok. I thought we still lived in a society that belives in fair trade and free enterprise. Value is what something is worth to an individual not its actual cost. Esite works on that. If there is not a demand, guess what,,,, no sale. I personal think that its like over paying sports stars. If we keep paying $30 plus to go to a game, they will keep making the money. All about supply and demand.

Well I said try to keep it short. Off my box for now.