Skirt Lifters - Luv'em or Hate'em

It's not terribly relevant to compare the rate of the take-a-hike cache finds to the LPS finds. I could spend a great deal more time on the take-a-hike finds and still find them at a much slower rate than the LPS caches. If it takes more time to get them, then the finds are going to be less frequent. Sure, popularity is a factor, but it's not the only one, which means that one can not make a blanket statement that the one found most frequently is the one that is best-liked.

Also, when you consider that most people live in the city, it means that the caches they're most likely to come across on a search for local caches are going to be city caches. People are more likely to do what is more likely to show up in a query.

I only have one LPC, which I placed after dislocating my kneecap. I could only hobble around then, and finding LPCs was better than staying at home and not caching at all. :unsure:

The logs for that cache are sometimes more interesting than the logs on my more remote caches where people often just "cut and paste" the same log from the previous one on the trail . . . :D

Log and Log. :D:D

So . . . LPCs can serve a good purpose. :D

I hear the disabled reason a lot. All I know is that if that is the reason then there must be far more disabled people around here than I ever thought there were. I still think the real driver has to do with numbers mania. Anyhow, I always used to log LPCs and the like with a no effort brief log. Of course now I don't log them and I put them on my ignore list instead. :)

The disabled defense for garbage caches is absurd. If I were to become disabled, whether permanently or temoprarily, I still would want to hunt caches in interesting places. Easy terrain does not have to mean a cache in a Walmart lamp post or on 7-Eleven dumpster. If I blew out my knee and was left with nothing but parking lot micros, I would find myself another hobby.

Obviously most LPCs are not in very scenic or interesting locations. If your goal is to visit interesting or scenic locations and the arrow on your GPSr is pointing to a parking lot or worse to the dumpster behind a strip mall, then why even stop. Just keep going to the next cache.

Saturday I had just enough time for one cache. I picked out a cache about a 3/4 mile from where I was staying. I arrived at the cache site and my GPS was pointing to a mall parking lot. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to walk the mile to the next nearest cache. I had to turn around. No find for me thanks to my pursuit of what I didn't know was a junk cache untill I arrived at the cache site.

Isn't this thread about whether each individual poster likes LPCs, or not? I thought we had different threads to argue about the merits of them. By turning this thread into one of the many argument threads, you cause people to not give their opinions on whther they like or dislike these caches because they don't want to get sucked down they drama hole.

And I do know some nice places for caches - great view, interesting 'path' to it, but I don't think I'll be placing them. They'd probably get great logs, but so few would log them it's not worth the time and effort.

Different strokes 4 different folks, I reckon. What you've described sounds like it has the potential to be one of the kewlest caches ever hidden. To feel that it's not worth the effort simply because it would only generate a small number of logs, (even if those logs rave about the cache's quality), just seems sad to me. I know that it might not be what you meant, but what I interpret from your statement is, an LPC is worthy whilst a scenic 5/5 is not, just because the 1/1 will get more logs.

It's obvious that he has missed one of the best things about caching is discovering cool locations. These locations need cachers that know of these locations to hide caches there to create an exciting and fun experience.

Ahhh! But I have discovered the cool location. :unsure: And I gave very serious thought of placing the cache, I just decided that placing caches that are easier to be enjoyed by more people is a better use of my caching time (I know two other cachers locally that could find the cache site I mentioned). It had nothing to do with the "worthiness" of the cache. Besides, the times I'd be up on the rock (to check the cache) would be during climbs with a organization that has nothing to do with caching. And as the climb leader I need to be focused on my team, not a cache.

There are lots of locations around that have similar views that don't require technical rock climbing (of course, most times the terrain isn't dropping straight down a few hundred feet under your feet...).

Again, as I noted in a previous post, you seem to have to toss people who disagree with you into a "group" that you can dismiss as meaningless. Your dismissive language ("It's obvious that he has missed...") does nothing to strengthing your point.

Isn't this thread about whether each individual poster likes LPCs, or not? I thought we had different threads to argue about the merits of them. By turning this thread into one of the many argument threads, you cause people to not give their opinions on whther they like or dislike these caches because they don't want to get sucked down they drama hole.

Chocolate ice cream is so uncreative. I prefer eating some new flavor I haven't tried before. If only there were a way in my pocket queries to eliminate the chocolate ice cream. :unsure:

I agree with sbell111. Some people prefer one flavor of ice cream. Other prefer a variety. Arguing over types of cache (LPCs or otherwise) is about as valuable as arguing over which flavor of ice cream you like. And when you start to talk about reducing the prevalence of one kind of cache (even by just trying to encourage different types) is just like trying to get rid of one flavor of ice cream as the expense of others. Leave my ice cream alone.

I was responding to the comment the LPCs showed a lack of ingenuity (presumably because they are so common). TrailGators is already on the record that he likes to be taken to interesting or scenic locations when geocaching. Obviously most LPCs are not in very scenic or interesting locations. If your goal is to visit interesting or scenic locations and the arrow on your GPSr is pointing to a parking lot or worse to the dumpster behind a strip mall, then why even stop. Just keep going to the next cache. Sometimes I cache to get back to nature with a long hike and sometimes I like to see historic places or a statue in a public park. On those days I just skip the LPCs and other caches like this. Other times I just want to find a few caches and don't have much time to be selective. Then I'll stop and lift up the lamppost skirt. If the cache isn't there, I'll scratch my head and look around. Perhaps its over in that bush or maybe that's a fake rock. No there it is, an Altoids tin painted to match the lamppost and magnetically help in place 15 ft off the ground. Not dressed for shimmying up the pole today, so I guesss I'll DNF it. Who are these tons of people I'm letting down? See my sig. line.

I agree with what you said in blue. As far as what you said in red, you wouldn't be letting down anyone because you were not the one hiding an LPC.

First of all, TrailGators is right that I personally haven't hidden a LPC. I think all of the caches I've hidden are the type TrailGators would like to find. However, some people do like to find lamppost caches. Even I like them on some occassions. If someone does hide a cache like this they are not doing to please TrailGators or the tons of people who don't like these caches. They are hiding them for the tons of people who do like these caches. A cache doesn't have to be anybody's favorite type of cache to be worth having. It just has to be a cache that someone would like to find at least some of the time. I really disagree with the concept of placing a cache to please the most people. I prefer there be many different kinds of caches so there is something for everyone. My suspicion is that most people are quite happy finding an occassional LPC just from the number of logs these cache get as opposed to some cache that requires you to solve a tough puzzle and then go on a long hike. I'd hate to see someone archive the puzzle with the hike just because it isn't getting visited as much as the LPC.

I wonder if anyone reading this has ever placed an LPC?

Since I am new to caching, this was a new topic for me. I have never heard of or seen any of these. Obviously they exist if people are finding that many. Here is my newbie (but i think fairly sound) opinion on this topic. I was of the impression that a big part of caching was to get people to realize the natural beauty that is out there. If we are hiding "skirt lifters", or LPCs, isnt that kind of defeating the purpose? Not that i would really care if i found one b/c the hunt aspect is also a big part of it and these do involve a hunt, even if it is a fairly easy one. Thats my two cents on that one.

I do not think your view is unusual and why most people start geocaching. In fact.. is there anyone that was drawn to geocaching because they heard that that there are things hidden under lamp posts in parking lots?

Probably not. I assume that people that have placed an LPC also enjoy finding them and since these are so prevalent (as some of the posters to this thread would have us believe), they are probably too busy having fun geocaching to spend time in the forums complaining about the caches they don't like. :unsure:

I have mixed feelings on this one. For one, I don't really care for the parking lots. I will do them if they show up on the GPS as I drive by and there are a bunch around me. Sometimes its not about the destination, but the journey to get there. There are a few micros along scenic drives and that I can appreciate. Also, if I've had a few DNFs one day.. doing a LPC and just getting a cache can make you feel better. On the other hand, there can be so many of these things and I think sometimes that people just like to do them to bump their numbers up. I don't really care for that as much as going out and seeing new places and taking hikes in local parks, or just driving around new areas.

Chocolate ice cream is so uncreative. I prefer eating some new flavor I haven't tried before. If only there were a way in my pocket queries to eliminate the chocolate ice cream. :unsure:
I like chocolate ice cream but while LPCs may look like chocolate but they taste like.... :)
<Sigh>

Another productive comment from TrailGators.

I like chocolate ice cream but while LPCs may look like chocolate but they taste like.... :)
<Sigh>

It's called a joke. Loosen up... :D
<Sigh>

I think we found the problem. He's doing it all wrong :D - you're not supposed to eat them, just find and log them. :D

First of all, let's make sure everyone knows what I'm talking about (yeah, D'UH, but better safe than sorry).

A skirt lifter cache is one, usually a micro, film canister, M&M Tube, etc, that is placed at the base of a light pole in the movable utility access skirt. These light poles are usually found in the wmarts, tgets, groc. stores, etc.

That being said, lets move on to opinions.

When I encountered my first one, I was impressed. I didn't even realize those things lifted up. What a cool cache I thought. Now that I've done my 10th one, I almost dread pulling into a parking lot when I'm searching for a cache. You can almost immediately lock in on the pole from a 100 yards away. I guess they are a number booster, but come on guys. Can't we be a little more original than that?

I personally would much rather hunt a micro in a forest than to run across any more of these darned skirt lifter type of cache's.

Any one else?

I remember the first LPC I found and I thought it was cool. :mad: Then, as I stated elsewhere in this thread, when I injured my knee and could only hobble around, I placed an LPC in the parking lot of the doctor's office where I got the x-rays. That cache gets more interesting logs -- sometimes -- than the "Cut and Paste" logs of my more remote and hiking caches. <_<

When I was traveling between California and Colorado, I liked LPCs, or caches similar to that, because I could find the cache easily, take a break from the highway, and get back on the road quickly. :mad:

Back here at home, I solve the problem of LPCs by not turning on my GPSr when I go into town to run my errands . . . <_<

I think LPCs serve a purpose, or several purposes, depending on the cacher. For some, the LPC boots their numbers, for others, it gives them another cache to complain about and put on their Ignore list. <_<:laughing:

Probably not. I assume that people that have placed an LPC also enjoy finding them and since these are so prevalent (as some of the posters to this thread would have us believe), they are probably too busy having fun geocaching to spend time in the forums complaining about the caches they don't like. <_<

Actually, I have placed one. The cache page is very straightforward and is quite clear on the location, so there shouldn't be any whining about the destination. Oddly it's only been logged 64 times in 2.5 years though. Maybe it isn't all about the numbers? <_<

I do enjoy reading the logs of the finders, and always look to see if anyone is there when I drive past it so I can bust them. Hasn't happened yet on this cache though, but it has with some of my other crappy urban micros. :laughing:

Edited by wimseyguy
Back here at home, I solve the problem of LPCs by not turning on my GPSr when I go into town to run my errands . . . <_<
That's the sad part. There are so many blah urban caches that I can't get excited about urban caching either. It didn't used to be that way. We had (past tense) a few cachers around here that used to hide the cleverest urban caches. I couldn't wait to go find their new caches. Most of them are gone. Now guess what we have instead.... :laughing:
That's the sad part. There are so many blah urban caches that I can't get excited about urban caching either. It didn't used to be that way. We had (past tense) a few cachers around here that used to hide the cleverest urban caches. I couldn't wait to go find their new caches. Most of them are gone. Now guess what we have instead.... :laughing:

I wonder how LPCs would show in a cache rating system. Probably right up there with the majority of caches.

Many people like LPCs and I think they'd get the standard "I liked this cache" review.

I wonder how LPCs would show in a cache rating system. Probably right up there with the majority of caches.

Many people like LPCs and I think they'd get the standard "I liked this cache" review.

All I know is that there is not one LPC on the San Diego Consensus Favorites list. I'm glad that people have been honest about tagging their favorite caches. <_<
It had nothing to do with the "worthiness" of the cache.

Weren't you the one who said hiding a cache there wasn't "worth" your time? Maybe that's where the "worthiness" aspect comes in?

One last comment, as you won't respond to my real point, then I'll let you go back to your world. You are the one who added worth to the cache (your comment that I find a 1/1 LPC of more worth). There is very little connection between my view of the worth of my time and the worthiness of a cache - please see what I said I would need to be paying attention to when at the cache site.

There is a difference between a favorite cache and liking a cache. There are just so many you can tag as favorite, but you can like a whole lot more.
The point was that these kind of caches are even in the running. Wouldn't you rather hide a cache that became a favorite? I haven't done it but at least I'm trying.... :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

when you start to talk about reducing the prevalence of one kind of cache (even by just trying to encourage different types) is just like trying to get rid of one flavor of ice cream as the expense of others.

Unless you believe that the existance of one particular flavor is detrimental to ice cream as a whole. If you believe this to be true, and you harbor ill will toward ice cream as a whole, then it is in your best interest to do nothing. However, if you believe this to be true, and you happen to love ice cream, then you owe it to yourself to take action. <_<

Leave my ice cream alone.

Your ice cream started it!..... Mom! His ice cream's picking on mine! :laughing:

I assume that people that have placed an LPC also enjoy finding them

I could never make that assumption.

I wonder how LPCs would show in a cache rating system.

To properly answer that, you'd need to review a cache listing service that has a rating service in place. I only know of one such listing service, and my (admittedly limited) search didn't turn up a single LPC. I couldn't even find a standard CPC there. Not saying they aren't there, but I couldn't find any. Perhaps someone with more experience at that "other" listing service could generate a list of all their LPC's for us? That way we could actually see how they do in a rating service. Maybe?

I wonder how LPCs would show in a cache rating system.
To properly answer that, you'd need to review a cache listing service that has a rating service in place. I only know of one such listing service, and my (admittedly limited) search didn't turn up a single LPC. I couldn't even find a standard CPC there. Not saying they aren't there, but I couldn't find any. Perhaps someone with more experience at that "other" listing service could generate a list of all their LPC's for us? That way we could actually see how they do in a rating service. Maybe?
That listing service frowns on placing LPCs. There are a lot less caches on that site but there are probably a much closer number of awesome caches on that site. It's really a different animal than geocaching. They give you more credit for finding more challenging caches so effort equals reward. If if that site did have LPCs you'd have to find 100 of them to equal one decent hiking cache. Because they are worthless, nobody hides them.
There is a difference between a favorite cache and liking a cache. There are just so many you can tag as favorite, but you can like a whole lot more.
The point was that these kind of caches are even in the running. Wouldn't you rather hide a cache that became a favorite? I haven't done it but at least I'm trying.... :laughing:

Sure, having a cache picked as a favorite would be nice. But I would rather place a cache appropriate to the location - a lot of times that won't be a "favorite".

The point was that these kind of caches are even in the running. Wouldn't you rather hide a cache that became a favorite? I haven't done it but at least I'm trying.... :laughing:

Sure, having a cache picked as a favorite would be nice. But I would rather place a cache appropriate to the location - a lot of times that won't be a "favorite".

"Where there's a will, there's a way...."

Chocolate ice cream is so uncreative. I prefer eating some new flavor I haven't tried before. If only there were a way in my pocket queries to eliminate the chocolate ice cream. <_<

Ice cream analogies are so uncreative. If only there were a way to eliminate them from the discussion :laughing:

Seriously, though, is everything a matter of personal taste, or can one ever say with confidence that one thing is better than another. If I think a lame cat isn't as good as a healthy cat, are you going to give me another icecream analogy?

While some I've pondered placing do not have a parking lot but are on the side of the road I'm hesitant because of the attitude towards them. The locations are nice for photography I think because the views are outstanding. Using anything larger than a micro would be pushing it and difficult to hide for the locations. One we've recently adopted takes one to a parking lot of a small park but it is a nice little one that we wouldn't have known existed otherwise.

I own a lamp post cache under my player account. Of the 59 visits, 10 have been DNF's. :laughing: Yet, the cache has never gone missing. Imagine that. And no, it's not in a parking lot.

But mainly I'm forced to read this thread because I'm a moderator. So I guess I don't count.

I own a lamp post cache under my player account. Of the 59 visits, 10 have been DNF's. <_< Yet, the cache has never gone missing. Imagine that. And no, it's not in a parking lot.

But mainly I'm forced to read this thread because I'm a moderator. So I guess I don't count.

Well shucks, I am sure you count to somebody, someplace. :laughing:

If I think a lame cat isn't as good as a healthy cat, are you going to give me another icecream analogy?
No, but I might argue that if our 19 year old cat get's sick that we aren't going to love her less.

BTW, have I mentioned that many times, I have enjoyed finding LPCs? Sometimes, they are just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by sbell111

While some I've pondered placing do not have a parking lot but are on the side of the road I'm hesitant because of the attitude towards them. The locations are nice for photography I think because the views are outstanding. Using anything larger than a micro would be pushing it and difficult to hide for the locations. One we've recently adopted takes one to a parking lot of a small park but it is a nice little one that we wouldn't have known existed otherwise.

In a location like that, I wouldn't hesitate to place a LPC. The main complaint about the LPCs, especially the ones placed in the large metropolitan area here, is the fact that they are in uninspired locations in the middle of huge asphalt parking lots. ;)

I would love to find an LPC that led me to a place to photograph an outstanding view. Sometimes when you are traveling, you don't see cool spots unless a cache slows you down and makes you stop.

In a location like that, I wouldn't hesitate to place a LPC. The main complaint about the LPCs, especially the ones placed in the large metropolitan area here, is the fact that they are in uninspired locations in the middle of huge asphalt parking lots. ;)

I would love to find an LPC that led me to a place to photograph an outstanding view. Sometimes when you are traveling, you don't see cool spots unless a cache slows you down and makes you stop.

My personal disdain for LPCs are because of the tons that are placed in uninspired locations in the middle of huge asphalt parking lots. But I honestly can't remember finding an LPC with a great view. Those are often guardrail caches. Guardrail caches are a step up from LPCs because you have to spend a few moments looking for them. So at least they are a little fun to find. Edited by TrailGators
It is clear that it depends where you live. Some areas have far more caches and are more effected. Three years ago the occasional LPC was OK. I can't remember finding any LPCs prior to that. So it's really about moderation. If you overdo anything it gets old.
I assume that you also wish people wouldn't hide caches under piles of sticks?

My first 'skirt lifter' find was in August of 2002. It was very fun. While LPCs have certainly become easier for me over the years, that's no reason to curb them. For me 'difficulty of find' isn't high on my list of things that makes geocaching fun.

It is clear that it depends where you live. Some areas have far more caches and are more effected. Three years ago the occasional LPC was OK. I can't remember finding any LPCs prior to that. So it's really about moderation. If you overdo anything it gets old.

My first 'skirt lifter' find was in August of 2002. It was very fun. While LPCs have certainly become easier for me over the years, that's no reason to curb them. For me 'difficulty of find' isn't high on my list of things that makes geocaching fun.

I think my first skirt lifter was in the summer of 2003. Maybe they should write a song about it... ;)

A pile of sticks is a step up because it usually not in a parking lot and you typically have to look for it for a little bit. If there are decoy piles of sticks that improves the fun too.

I think my first skirt lifter was in the summer of 2003. Maybe they should write a song about it... ;)

A pile of sticks is a step up because it usually not in a parking lot and you typically have to look for it for a little bit. If there are decoy piles of sticks that improves the fun too.

ticks, skeeters, chiggers...

I'd like to think I learn a little lesson with each hide. Right now, when I enter a place a cache hide location, I attempt put myself in the mindset of a cacher seeing the area for the first time. Sometimes there's one hiding place that is completely obvious (such as a lamp post, a UPR or a UPS) and you just sigh, put your GPSr away, and walk right over to it.

This would be the place where the decoy goes with a nice note of encouragement inside. If there is one huge opportunity that a lamp post skirt presents, it is this. It is the default location, the expected, and the norm all wrapped into one.

Then.. I'll test my hiding skill and try to find a place within the same coordinate tolerance to hide the cache.

I'd like to think I learn a little lesson with each hide. Right now, when I enter a place a cache hide location, I attempt put myself in the mindset of a cacher seeing the area for the first time. Sometimes there's one hiding place that is completely obvious (such as a lamp post, a UPR or a UPS) and you just sigh, put your GPSr away, and walk right over to it.

This would be the place where the decoy goes with a nice note of encouragement inside. If there is one huge opportunity that a lamp post skirt presents, it is this. It is the default location, the expected, and the norm all wrapped into one.

Then.. I'll test my hiding skill and try to find a place within the same coordinate tolerance to hide the cache.

Around here, that 'coordinate tolerance' is something like six feet. Good luck finding another location within six feet of the light pole.

ticks, skeeters, chiggers...

Look for this on the cache page:

a5d40507-0d6e-48d4-bf11-7c58a97df0bd.jpg

I can't help you with the skeeters and chiggers but they are often there if ticks are there.....

Around here, that 'coordinate tolerance' is something like six feet. Good luck finding another location within six feet of the light pole.

I think you must have a better GPSr than I do. I usually get within 20' and put my nose to the ground. I've been in some areas where an LPC is just assumed even if is within 30' of GZ because you figure that the typical LPC hider is not going to "waste time" averaging their coords for better accuracy.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I think you must have a better GPSr than I do. I usually get within 20' and put my nose to the ground. I've been in some areas where an LPC is just assumed even if is within 30' of GZ because you figure that the typical LPC hider is not going to "waste time" averaging their coords for better accuracy.
So, basically you are willing to place caches with sloppy coordinates because there is already built-in error? That increases the fun in what way?
I've never had a problem with ticks on the cache page. My issue is with ticks out in the woods.
It's a good thing that the tick attribute can't jump off the screen. ;)
I'll say.

In all seriousness, around here pretty much every cache that's not in a parking lot will subject you to ticks and chiggers. I kinda think that less people use the tick attribute for this very reason.

Edited by sbell111

Since I am new to caching, this was a new topic for me. I have never heard of or seen any of these. Obviously they exist if people are finding that many. Here is my newbie (but i think fairly sound) opinion on this topic. I was of the impression that a big part of caching was to get people to realize the natural beauty that is out there. If we are hiding "skirt lifters", or LPCs, isnt that kind of defeating the purpose? Not that i would really care if i found one b/c the hunt aspect is also a big part of it and these do involve a hunt, even if it is a fairly easy one. Thats my two cents on that one.

I do not think your view is unusual and why most people start geocaching. In fact.. is there anyone that was drawn to geocaching because they heard that that there are things hidden under lamp posts in parking lots?

If LPCs are all that there were, I wouldnt have even bought a GPS. My wife and I found our first LPC on easter. Whoopee! (sarcasm). Really, I think that Geocaching should have a rule against these. They are not exciting. Literally, my gps made me turn into the parking lot, and i parked right in front of the lamppost. I imagined a little more of a hunt-i dont know why, now that i think about it, but i did. Oh well, what can you do?

If LPCs are all that there were, I wouldnt have even bought a GPS. My wife and I found our first LPC on easter. Whoopee! (sarcasm). Really, I think that Geocaching should have a rule against these. They are not exciting. Literally, my gps made me turn into the parking lot, and i parked right in front of the lamppost. I imagined a little more of a hunt-i dont know why, now that i think about it, but i did. Oh well, what can you do?
Move on with your life? Edited by sbell111