Is it wrong to fly with Travel Bugs

ed_n_kelly

What is the ettiquette regarding the traveling bugs and geocoins? I have a lot questions regarding the proper way to interact with Travel bugs and Geo coins, but one of the main questions I need answered is:

If you find a travel bug and it's dream is to visit all 50 states is it wrong to take it with you when you fly to another state and drop it there. Does it need to do all it's traveling via land?

When in doubt ask the owner.

I once picked up a newly released TB whose goal was to go to Califorinia. Since I was going there, I took it. The owner was slightly annoyed, as he wanted it to travel there over time, cache by cache and didn't mean for it to be taken there in one swoop. I guess I could see his point. I had it to its goal a couple of days after it was released.

So if you are doing anything with the TB that might be a bit out of the ordinary, just e-mail the TB owner and see if your plans are OK with him.

I'm putting this thread on a non-stop flight from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

What about a travel bug whose goal is some where far away - say another continent??? Is it wrong to take it to another country that is closer to its final goal but still not in the specific country?

I would think getting it across one of the oceans would be at least helpful (provided it was traveling in the right direction)

Edited by jyanich

I'm putting this thread on a non-stop flight from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

What about a travel bug whose goal is some where far away - say another continent??? Is it wrong to take it to another country that is closer to its final goal but still not in the specific country?

I would think getting it across one of the oceans would be at least helpful (provided it was traveling in the right direction)

If I were the bug owner I would say closer is better, if in doubt ask the bug owner.

I would say if you find a bug with a specific destination as it's goal, help it move towards that destination if possible (whether it's a closer state, a closer country, etc).

And in most cases, the only way to get it to a closer country is to fly or go by boat.

I just sent a TB that I own with a guy going to Australia. And I work with a cacher from New Zealand. I may send one with her when she goes home to visit.

When in doubt ask the owner.

I once picked up a newly released TB whose goal was to go to Califorinia. Since I was going there, I took it. The owner was slightly annoyed, as he wanted it to travel there over time, cache by cache and didn't mean for it to be taken there in one swoop. I guess I could see his point. I had it to its goal a couple of days after it was released.

So if you are doing anything with the TB that might be a bit out of the ordinary, just e-mail the TB owner and see if your plans are OK with him.

On the other hand, we kidnapped one of my brother's stuffed birds one of my brother's stuffed birds fell asleep in my sister's luggage, and woke up in Maine. We attached a TB tag to it, and released in it New Jersey with the goal to go back to Seattle. Lost Bird made the return trip in two hops and three months!

Of course, my brother attached a new TB to the tag, and released it in the Czech Republic. It's goal now is to visit my sister in Maine. It's been wandering about Europe for the last two years.