Free PPC software for viewing cache pages

I've been using Cachemate for more than two years now . . . It is very reliable software, easy to use. and although not free, $8.00 is cheap enough. :rolleyes:

GPXSonar works great for small databases, and I used it extensively for that purpose. Now I'm running Cachemate with an average database size of 1000 caches, and I can look something up in seconds on the trail.

Where GPXView and GPXSonar fall down is when you open the program up on the trail, it has to load all that GPX data in and that can take time. Like minutes. I've had people come back to the car while I was waiting for GPXSonar to load my PQ file ... and they'd already found and replaced the cache. GPXSonar has also 'crashed' and chucked all my log notes for the day on more than one occasion - that REALLY burns me up trying to remember the last 20 caches I was at before that happened... not to mention the codes I may have entered from those cache lids.

Cachemate hits me with the loading delay once, when I marshall the data the first time. Every time I start the program up after that it's fast as lightning, and has not tanked my log entries yet - over a year now.

Summary: Cachemate costs $8, loads faster and runs more stable.

GPXSonar costs less ($0), is slower to load and will occasionally lose my field notes.

Spend the $8.... and while you're at it, pick up a copy of GSAK - then you have the ultimate GPX management system.

I'm using GPXSonar now, but I'm thinking of switching to a palm for my caching needs. Why? Because I can get a cheap palm that takes an SD card and disposable batteries. I like my PPC, but it uses Li-Ion batteries, if they go dead there is no way to replace them in the field.

Plus I'm going to Denmark in about a month, and I won't have a way to charge the batteries. But I can take/buy AA/AAA batteries pretty much anywhere. At home I can use 2500mA NiMHs.

I actually have a question here, does Cachemate display the last few cache log entries like GPXSonar does? I find them to be very useful to have in the field, sometimes they are better then the hint for finding stuff.

I actually have a question here, does Cachemate display the last few cache log entries like GPXSonar does? I find them to be very useful to have in the field, sometimes they are better then the hint for finding stuff.

Yes, it does. You have to make sure the file conversion is set to include them, but that's easy enough.

<snip>

If you use GSAK, and you continually update the database, the Past Logs will keep increasing. That is what I do, and sometimes it will be that eighth Past Log that includes the information necessary to find the cache. :anitongue:

I just bought a QTek PDA and yesterday I spend a few hours trying the three programs mentioned in this thread. My two cents about them:

1) GxpSonar: the coolest one. Nicest and presenting more features. However, it's not reliable at least if you are using heavy databases. I tried one with 900 caches and had lots of problems. The software crashed a few times. What a pitty! This would be the obvious choice if not so unreliable handling this kind of databases.

2) CacheMate: reliable, fast but ugly and too simple. I like beuaty in a program, sorry, it's the way I am. Cannot use this one for sure.

3) Gpxview; a good balance between the previously mentioned programs. However there is something annoying: the program tries to display the images in cache listing. I unmarked "Display external images" and it keeps trying to show them.

So, in a word, I did not find my love in this quest :-)

I'm using GPXSonar now, but I'm thinking of switching to a palm for my caching needs. Why? Because I can get a cheap palm that takes an SD card and disposable batteries. I like my PPC, but it uses Li-Ion batteries, if they go dead there is no way to replace them in the field.

Plus I'm going to Denmark in about a month, and I won't have a way to charge the batteries. But I can take/buy AA/AAA batteries pretty much anywhere. At home I can use 2500mA NiMHs.

This is kind of a late reply, but I built a backup power supply for my PPC, using a small battery holder from Radio Shack (Catalog #: 270-409, holds 4 AA NiMHs) and the appropriate plug to fit the PPC (also from Radio Shack). I've used it several times to run the PPC when the internal battery was getting low; it will even charge the internal battery. This is a possible alternative for buying a Palm.

Edited by Dsorgnzd
1) GxpSonar: the coolest one. Nicest and presenting more features. However, it's not reliable at least if you are using heavy databases. I tried one with 900 caches and had lots of problems. The software crashed a few times. What a pitty! This would be the obvious choice if not so unreliable handling this kind of databases.

I think you will find the reason for the slowness of GPXSonar is because it does not use a Database, it uses a GPX file which is in reality an XML formatted flat file, so there is no Index to improve its reliability, basically it is an XML renderer. The more records you add the slower it will become, as the whole file requires opening to search etc.