Paperless Caching

Steve03

I've been Geocaching for about 6 months now and I am tired of printing out the information pages on each cache. I've looked into paperless geocaching a little bit but I was wondering which PDA would be the best to get? Money is a bit of a concern so the cheaper the better. Where should I even begin my search of looking for the perfect PDA to fit my needs?

Thanks!

I use a lowly Palm IIIe that I found for $17 just so I could start paperless caching, and it's met my needs beautifully, and it's been great for simple organizational tasks as well.

Sometimes I covet more powerful PDAs, and may buy one someday, but I would think that anything you use that's not a toy (like mine or better) will be far handier than before you went paperless.

BTW, even if money was no object, I wouldn't get a really expensive PDA for geocaching. If you drop/lose/damage a cheap one, it's no big deal, but it would be a shame if it was really pricey.

Hi Steve03 :D

I use the Palm TX which has Wifi and a web browser plus email. This may be more expensive than you had in mind. About $250 or look on ebay.

Entire Cache web pages can be save on this little device. One can look up updates from your motel for instance.

Free Wifi hotspots are every where. Well not hard to find anyway. One can even log their find on the road.

Loren :D

I am not sure what you have for a cell phone, but I have mine set up to receive text messages and I have an e-mail address for it as well (both options together were like $5/month feature which I need for work anway). I just e-mail myself the info and it's on my phone.

The Palm M505 is newer and technically better than the M500 with this caveat. The M500 is NOT color. The M500 is actually considered superior in direct sunlight (easier to view). Check out your friends M505 and if you don't have any trouble viewing it in direct sunlight, go for it. You already have the Premium Membership that allows you to request PQ's. And while CacheMate is $8 (one time fee), you can actually test it for free. Download it, load on the PDA, and CacheMate will accept 10 caches in it's unregistered form. If you like what you see, pay $8 for the registration code.

If you want to spend a bit more money, a friend got the silver edition of the Palm Zire 72. It has a color screen which can be read outside. It also has more memory, can play MP3 files, and even has a camera.

Most of those I have seen cost around $100.00 on eBay. A friend got a Palm M500 for only $30.00, including the shipping . . . B)

I use a Palm Z22 and as mentioned above, I had problems reading it in bright sunlight. I simply adjusted the brightness and contrast and VIOLA! it was good to go. One thing I would mention though is that PDA's are not built to take much of a beating, so I wouldn't spend too much on any PDA that you are going to haul out into the woods, toss into your caching bag, or stick in your back pocket while opening the cache container and then accidentally sit on. (Yes, that is the voice of experience) Just my 2 cents....

I just switched over to paperless using GSAK on my computer and CACHEMATE on my Palm M500 ($30 ebay) and wow!! too many times i would get to a cache and not even know what i was looking for (micro, ammo box ect..) now i have hints, logs, description ect.. im am not PDA smart but the process was fairly simple (http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15) that web site gives you step by step. thanks all for this topic, it guided me in the right direction.