Four caches and a stolen car

Yno

Not a bad tally for a day that was basically devoted to bicycle riding. My sweetie and I went for a loop around the local reservoirs, and since my bike computer doesn't work, I took my GPSr. So I stopped for a couple of caches on the way, but that wasn't the main reason for the ride. Anyway, while riding by one of the reservoirs, I spotted a car down an embankment about halfway in the water. The lights were still on so I knew it had just happened. I climbed down to look in to see if anyone was hurt, but it was empty. I called the Sheriff's Department, and soon there was a county maintenance worker, a ranger, a deputy, and a Sheriff's sergeant taking a look. Turns out the car had been stolen in Merced, about a hundred miles away. They probably ran out of gas and dumped it, just to watch it roll down the hill. But to get on to the geocaching topic (Mods can move this if they need to) I was all ready to give the coordinates to the dispatcher, but as soon as I said it was a quarter mile from the burned out biker bar, they knew exactly where to go!

So where do I log this one! :anicute:

So where do I log this one! :anicute:

I see a stolen car themed cache going there. :huh:

• Maybe the cache is locked & the finder has to figure out how to break in to log the find?

Or make the cache look like a car & the cache page is a message from LoJack telling you where to find the stolen vehicle?

As for swag: Matchbox cars! ;)

Great story. But I just knew you were going to tell us you went after a cache, and got back and your car was stolen. X

I had the same thought. At least you found a stolen car.

I have read a log or two that a cacher returned to find that there car broken in too.

Jim

Kc8bdr

As incredible as it may sound, I too, found a stolen vehicle just this morning! I was caching yesterday on the "New Deal Trail-GCPOKD" which is quite a hike with several caches on it. I missed one, (forgetting to write it down) so I returned to the same trail this morning. As I was going through the cache and signing the log for "old holloer-GCP9J6" I noticed something white deeper into the woods. I was already a good quarter mile to a half mile in. I finished my business and approached what I found to be a white Ford pickup. It was crashed and in a terrible codition, as it had been driven wildly through the woods here, and at a high rate of speed, judging from the damage to the woods and the truck. I called the police from my cell phone and gave them the name of the trail head and my coords. They arrived soon, with the sheriffs department. The wrecker decided it would be easier to chainsaw the vehicle than chainsaw the woods trying to get it out. I interpreted sign for the officers on the scene and we decided the perp was still in the area. So we spent the next few hours looking for an intoxicated truck thief, to no avail. My morning was pretty fun caching the "old holloer". I thought it was an amazing coincidence after answering this post last night. X

Edited by X-isle

I found a looted and ditched purse today while caching. Had sunglasses, keys, and a couple of checkbook registers (with checks) in them along with some other misc. stuff. It was scattered all over in this little thicket of trees. I gathered up what I could, marked a waypoint, and plan on dropping it off at the local police precinct tomorrow along with the coordinates. The checkbooks have the name and address of the owner, so they will be able to contact her about it.

The last check was written three days ago, so it could not have been stolen very long ago.

I found a looted and ditched purse today while caching. Had sunglasses, keys, and a couple of checkbook registers (with checks) in them along with some other misc. stuff. It was scattered all over in this little thicket of trees. I gathered up what I could, marked a waypoint, and plan on dropping it off at the local police precinct tomorrow along with the coordinates. The checkbooks have the name and address of the owner, so they will be able to contact her about it.

The last check was written three days ago, so it could not have been stolen very long ago.

You really shouldn't wait. That purse may be part of an ongoing investigation. Any police would swing by your residence and retrieve it and any pertinent info you have. X

You really shouldn't wait. That purse may be part of an ongoing investigation. Any police would swing by your residence and retrieve it and any pertinent info you have. X

I took it in early this morning, ended up waiting about 40 minutes to see an officer. They took my info and the purse and I went on my merry way. About 40 minutes later they called me back to let me know that they contacted the owner. Someone broke into her car the day before (Saturday) and stole the purse. They took the wallet and coin purse, ditched the rest where I found it(Sunday), and were already using the stolen card. At least she got her keys and sunglasses back.

Edited by kosmicki