Handmade geocoin using generic geocoin code for tracking?

tsunrisebey

I was checking out ebay and noticed someone selling a handmade geocoin (made of lead, I believe). They noted that they would be using a generic geocoin code to make it trackable on gc.com or if you want to, you can use a TB # and get a reduced price for coin.

My question is how did this person get a generic geocoin # for 1 handmade coin? Is it from a coin that they are not activating? Which would explain the price of the handmade coin.

Tsun.

Why not just ask them. You can do this on ebay. It kind of sounds like they purchased or traded for an unactivated Generic Geocoin and then replicated the number on their handmade coin. That would work if they never gave away or traded the Generic Geocoin. Some people never activate the geocoins they obtain fo their collections so I guess you could put the saem number on a bunch of coins. That would seem to be wrong to me, but possible.

I thought of something similar, where I would engrave the Travel Bug item with the tracking # on it and Just keep the tag and see how well it does out in the wild, but it was just gonna be a test on one.

The other thing Im gonna do is to take the pokey pin off some of the Coin pins I have, Etch the tracking # from the matching coin and instanty have a Trackable Micro coin, Im gonna try it on the Virtual ghost and the DNF Frowny pins.

So this is probably what they are doing, unless you can purchase a tracking number from Groundspeak, but I dont know. It would make their coin worthless unless they just want a shiny coin of someone elses in their book, because basically thats what it would be. Let us know if you do ask.

Caveat Emptor.

The way this coin is described, it would NOT be allowed to be tracked on the site.

Handmade coins are generally not allowed (with a few exceptions).

The design was not approved by Groundspeak so this coin will not be able to be tracked on this site.

You'd be buying a coin, but not a trackable geocoin.

I have to interject here since the Pasta Master popped in. I have always been bothered by the requirement that a geocoin "Must meet Groundspeaks approval"... why? I don't submit my Travel Bugs to be approved.

If the item is hand made, in the shape of a coin and trackable, explain to me the difference than that of an attached travel bug tag to an object of same design.

I think this is a great topic as I'm sure this community is full of skill artisans that would like to produce items (like a coin) and make it trackable.

Also, I'm not looking to be flamed here but this topic strikes a nerve in regards to trackables and control.... I'll creep back to the shadows now... Thanx

I can only add my thoughts:

My guess is because it goes to brand. Something with the Geocaching.com name on it must be approved by Groundspeak. A TB tag has the Geocaching name on it, but the items that they are attached to do not.

There's a big difference.

Again, my opinion on this not fact. The only thing you'll get here are opinions. The absolute "why's" lie with the Frog.