What are the odds?

CSpenceFLY

So I'm in the middle of the woods a half mile from the road(and I'm not talking a trail here) and I come up on this guy going the other way carrying a GPS.I say,"So you out Geocaching?"He looks at me like I'm a two headed alien.I ask him what he's doing out there(pretty sure he is thinking the same thing) and he tells me he was out looking for the rocks on the point,which I think is where I'm going.I explain Geocaching to him,he follows me to the cache,which is right where he just came from and we hike back out together.What are the odds?I think we have a new Geocacher!

I had something similar happen. I hiked a couple of miles to a cache of mine to make a maintenance visit and when I got there I saw a couple standing about 10 feet from the cache holding a GPS and a printout and looking confused.

"Geocaching?" I asked and they gave me the same two headed alien look. Turns out they were hikers who were trying out their new GPS and were trying to figure out which trail to take back to their car.

Edited by briansnat

I had something similar happen. I hiked a couple of miles to a cache of mine to make a maintenance visit and when I got there I saw a couple standing about 10 feet from the cache holding a GPS and a printout and looking confused.

"Geocaching?" I asked and they gave me the same two headed alien look. Turns out they were hikers who were trying out their new GPS and were trying to figure out which trail to take back to their car.

So exacly how fast did they run down the trail screaming when you attempted the standard NJ geocacher's greeting dance with them? :laughing:;)

A few weeks ago I was checking on a cache I thought had gone missing, but found it was indeed there. I continued down the trail to check on a couple of other caches, and when I was walking back to the car, I saw a family near the first cache, holding a GPSr and looking very confused. I said to them (at a distance of about 20 feet), "It's there... I just checked on it a bit ago" ... and the woman looked at me, very puzzled. I said, "The geocache... it really is there... I found it just a bit ago.. we're the ones that placed it." She looked at her GPSr, and looked at me, and laughed. She was about 2 feet from it, and her hubby was a few feet on the other side, on a small low-water dam.

When I got closer, I explained who I was, and that hubby and I had placed that cache, and that I would be happy to help them find it. As I was telling him how to get to it, we were all laughing about the encounter. When I told him just where to look, he looked, did a double take, and said.. " I saw that from above, and thought it was a dead bird!" I knew hubby did a great camo job on it, but a dead bird? Well, there are various twigs glued all over it... and it is gray and brown... it does blend in wonderfully with the honeysuckle vines, even in the winter.

It sure was fun to surprise a geocaching family that was searching for our own cache! They had been looking for 20 minutes or so, and were just ready to give up when I came along.

Malia

I was looking for the first stage of a multi that was on a rails to trails trail (for anyone who doesn't have these, they convert old railbeds to wonderful bike/hike trails) and a couple saw us and asked if we were geocaching, they had heard about it and were interested. I have no idea if they ever got into it after that. Later down the trail somebody asked simply "Did you find it yet?" I think the regular trail users were wise to it.