Garmin Legend and Windows Vista

calebson

ok...I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here it goes... I just purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista. I also just upgraded my GPS from a Magellan 200 to a Garmin Legend. My problem is this... the Legend came with a serial adapter and not a usb so I am unable to connect to my computer to download waypoints (which is the whole reason I upgraded to Garmin). Of course Garmin has a resolution to this problem with a USB to RS232 converter cable that is $59.99. There has to be a cheaper way to do this.....any ideas which cables are compatable with Vista?????????? :D

ok...I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here it goes... I just purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista. I also just upgraded my GPS from a Magellan 200 to a Garmin Legend. My problem is this... the Legend came with a serial adapter and not a usb so I am unable to connect to my computer to download waypoints (which is the whole reason I upgraded to Garmin). Of course Garmin has a resolution to this problem with a USB to RS232 converter cable that is $59.99. There has to be a cheaper way to do this.....any ideas which cables are compatable with Vista?????????? :lol:

Here's a link to a source: http://www.pfranc.com/usb/usb.shtml I have not tried this converter, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I did buy two Etrex plugs from this company, to make my own data cable, and I was very pleased with the quality of the plugs, and the service I got from the manufacturer. Their website says the converter works with Vista. You can find the short (4 inch) version of the converter on ebay for about $20 shipped (the seller may also have the longer version with a 6' cable): http://cgi.ebay.com/PFRANC-COM-USB-COM-POR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, I have no personal experience with this seller.

In any case, the converter will plug into your USB port, then your serial cable plugs into the converter, and you should be set to go.

ok...I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here it goes... I just purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista. I also just upgraded my GPS from a Magellan 200 to a Garmin Legend. My problem is this... the Legend came with a serial adapter and not a usb so I am unable to connect to my computer to download waypoints (which is the whole reason I upgraded to Garmin). Of course Garmin has a resolution to this problem with a USB to RS232 converter cable that is $59.99. There has to be a cheaper way to do this.....any ideas which cables are compatable with Vista?????????? :lol:

As has been mentioned - you can a USB to Serial adapter very cheaply.

I think it stinks though that more and more computers are coming without serial ports.

I gather most people don't use them. Not only does my garmin connect via serial, but so did my old Palm (a Palm III) and my calculator (TI-86).

I also have a USB cable for my Calculator, and new Palms seem to all come with USB cradle, but it still stinks that serial ports are being left off of the motheboard these days in a lot of cases.

That's one reason I build my own PCs - I get to pick every hardware component down to feature and manufacturer. IE I may only use a floppy drive once a year or so, but I still want it - and no, I don't want a disgusting USB one hanging off of a port.

If you have a free PCI slot - you can get a PCI card with two standard serial ports for under $15.00 at newegg. Make sure it has vista drivers though. It probably will "just work" without needing to install anything (IE you can probably throw any software it comes with away), but check. And find some other things to buy to soften shipping per item. Or just buy a usb/serial adapter - places like BestBuy should have 'em in stock.

I paid $19 for my Serial/USB adaptor. Also, as Clan Rifster and FunkyRes mentioned, you can add a card cheaply. I'm not exactly a computer tecnician and I've done it several times. It's pretty easy and the instructions should be in your owner manual.

Last time I brought a PC I paid a little extra for a serial port for this very reason.

Here's a link to a source: http://www.pfranc.com/usb/usb.shtml I have not tried this converter, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, I did buy two Etrex plugs from this company, to make my own data cable, and I was very pleased with the quality of the plugs, and the service I got from the manufacturer. Their website says the converter works with Vista. You can find the short (4 inch) version of the converter on ebay for about $20 shipped (the seller may also have the longer version with a 6' cable): http://cgi.ebay.com/PFRANC-COM-USB-COM-POR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, I have no personal experience with this seller.

In any case, the converter will plug into your USB port, then your serial cable plugs into the converter, and you should be set to go.

I purchased one of the 4" converters from pfranc and it works great ony my laptop with XP... I don't see why it would not work with Vista... but you never know with Microsoft. Edited by mini cacher

Make sure you keep the receipt for the "non-garmin" cable/adaptor if you buy one. It may not work.

I had a Vista (Non-color version) with the serial port that I tried to use an off the shelf serial to USP cable with and for some reason the computer wouldn't recognize the GPS.

So, I went to the local Garmin dealer and bought the "Garmin cable" (for $85.00 CDN <_< ) and it worked with no problems. (Except my wallet was lighter than I wanted it to be. :( )

Good luck.

I got a usb > serial adapter off ebay for $.99 cents

it's even the same color as my garmin etrex legend. :laughing:

Where did you get an adapter for 99 cents that works?

Thanx,

Ray

You can find one here: ebay listing

for 99 cents, but add the $5.99 shipping (for an item that would probably cost <$1 to send via first class mail) and it isn't quite as good a bargain. Still beats $60 though. :P