Enhancement Request - Time Stamp When Published

drives

Adding the time stamp when the Reviewer publishes a cache would really enhance the cache page. This could be good information not only the first few hours/days after posting, but it could also be valuable information for the life of the cache. Most FTF posters will include the time just for reference and it would be great to see how long after initial posting, the FTF was made. Also there could be someone useful knowledge gained from the first few logs by knowing what time the cache first posted.

It's not so simple. The server doesn't have any idea about the time zone of the area where the cache was placed. The finder logs his find using the local time and comparing that to the time stamp of the publishment is meaningless if that time stamp is in the time zone of the Groundspeak headquarters.

I would think it WOULD be pretty easy. I'm sure that the system doesn't just store the date, but rather the date and time. It just "displays" the date.

If the site had an integreated time zone feature (we already set our time zone on the profile), it would be a matter of adjusting the time stamp to match our local time zone from our profile. If someone doesn't put a time zone, default it to GMT.

If you're a premium member getting instant notification, you're getting a time stamp on the email. Admittedly the emails aren't always "instant" but likely you receive it at the same time everyone else does.

While that sounds real good, kinda like someone who's an employee, it's most certainly not true. I have seen those notification emails come through hours late, and even not at all.

It's almost amazing, that while others post enhancements that are expensive and downright impracticle, here's one that doesn't cost a dime and all I've seen are negative comments (except for the last one, thanks).

I'm not feeling the love :rolleyes:

Edited by drives
...and all I've seen are negative comments.

I would think it WOULD be pretty easy. I'm sure that the system doesn't just store the date, but rather the date and time. It just "displays" the date.

If the site had an integreated time zone feature (we already set our time zone on the profile), it would be a matter of adjusting the time stamp to match our local time zone from our profile. If someone doesn't put a time zone, default it to GMT.

:rolleyes:

Not that it's a perfect solution, but if you're viewing a cache after it has been published (with the "published" log being the most recent) you can find out when it was published. At the bottom of the cache page you should see something similar to:

Current time: 2/13/2007 7:10:19 PM

Last Updated: 2/12/2007 8:36:13 PM

The "Last Updated" value changes whenever a new log is posted or if the cache owner makes a change to the cache page. So if the last log posted is a "published" log then you should be able to figure out how long the cache has been available based on the Last Updated time.

As far as your request, I like it. Personally I'm a big fan of knowing exactly when someone has found a cache and I almost always note the time on my log entries. It would be nice to also know exactly when a cache was approved, regardless of the time zone. I'm no genius when it comes to knowing everything about Time Zones, but I do know that the time listed in my example is 7 hours ahead of the actual time here in Phoenix. By knowing this (by looking at the "Current time" listed on the cache page and comparing it to the actual time on my watch) I can determine what time a cache was published in Arizona time and thus be able to see how the FTF was nabbed within just 10 minutes of the cache posting.

Jared of AZBliss02

Umm....doesn't this feature already exist? It does for me:

timestamp.jpg

Yes, that would be a step in the right direction. Unfortunately this is not the standard as of yet. An additional line under the 'Placed'-info would be better. And maybe could this also be a seletion criteria for the pocket queries as well (the published info that is). :ph34r:

Umm....doesn't this feature already exist? It does for me:

timestamp.jpg

FYI: You get that because I use a greasemonkey extension to get that to appear. That is from my side, not the server side.

Ahhh....so that's why I had an "Additional Reviewer Services" surcharge on my most recent subscription renewal. I hope they're at least sharing some of that $$ with you. :ph34r:

It's not so simple. The server doesn't have any idea about the time zone of the area where the cache was placed. The finder logs his find using the local time and comparing that to the time stamp of the publishment is meaningless if that time stamp is in the time zone of the Groundspeak headquarters.

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't be too hard. I mean they know exactly where on the planet the cache is. Heck they even know where on the planet *I* am.

Shouldn't be that hard to get a file with time zone polygons in it, and a record of when/where daylight savings time is applied, and run the two together.