A New Kind of Virtual

Travel bugs used to get passed around at events and the discovered it log solved the problem of the travel bug never moving.

A side effect of the discovered it log is that now travel bugs can be used as type of virtual cache. Go find the bug, note the number, log your find, let the bug rot in peace. Repeat.

Been happeneing a lot on my bugs recently. Not really virtual - but certainly no travel involved. They are just bug tags and not Travel bugs.

Travel bugs used to get passed around at events and the discovered it log solved the problem of the travel bug never moving.

A side effect of the discovered it log is that now travel bugs can be used as type of virtual cache. Go find the bug, note the number, log your find, let the bug rot in peace. Repeat.

Been happeneing a lot on my bugs recently. Not really virtual - but certainly no travel involved. They are just bug tags and not Travel bugs.

Just my opinion but I'm not fond of the discover aspect of the travel bugs or coins. Before long the website will be having a hard time keeping up with everyone's icons on their cache pages and they will be bogged down even more than they are now during peak times.

I support discovering Geocoins, hence the reason for all the icons. I'm against discovering Travel Bugs, because the intention was always for them to travel, not be discovered. Geocoins would lose most of their appeal, if there weren't so many icons, but then Groundspeak would lose a nice revenue sourrce.

I support discovering Geocoins, hence the reason for all the icons. I'm against discovering Travel Bugs, because the intention was always for them to travel, not be discovered. Geocoins would lose most of their appeal, if there weren't so many icons, but then Groundspeak would lose a nice revenue sourrce.

The Discover option didn't become a 'necessity' until coins came along.

Keep it for coins, lose it for bugs.

edit: Oh, and if anyone says "I'm doing the owner a favor. It let's them know it's still in the cache" I'm going to throw up.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm not sure if the discovered log is to blame for travel bugs sitting in caches and not moving or if it just a covenient scapegoat for the travel bug owners. Many people don't trade (I don't mean to imply that Travel Bugs are trade items, I just mean that some people don't take the time to take or leave things in caches) but they may feel that a discovered log is a way of telling the bug owner that the travel bug is still in the cache. Travel bug owners should be happy to see Discovered logs - especially if the bug has been sitting in a cache for a long time - as it shows that there bug is still there. I guess there may be some people that use the discovered log to get their travel bug find count up without having to move the bug, but these people always had the capability to grab a bug and drop right back into the same cache for the same effect.

Edit: Sorry BlueDeuce, you made your edit while I was typing. Hope you didn't have too big of a mess to clean up ;)

Edited by tozainamboku

The Discover option didn't become a 'necessity' until coins came along.

Keep it for coins, lose it for bugs.

edit: Oh, and if anyone says "I'm doing the owner a favor. It let's them know it's still in the cache" I'm going to throw up.

I'm doing the owner a favor. It let's them know it's still in the cache

Sorry could not resist

Hmmm...you could do an arbitrary logging requirement with a cache that says to get credit for the find, and keep your smiley, you have to discover the TB or coin. Interesting.

This certainly would be an easy way to verify that someone actually found it if you feel like that is an issue with your cache for some reason.

Another good thing about the discovered option is that it let's bug owner's know that the item is still in play. In fact, I think that people who 'discover' these items are doing the owner a favor. Good job, discoverers!

:lol::lol:;)

You and Toz make a valid point. And yet in the old days you would pick the bug up, log it at your desk and move it on and do the owner a bigger favor. ;)

Now you can nail a bug to a tree and let all comers discover it. Good idea. I think I'll do that with a coin.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Hmmm...you could do an arbitrary logging requirement with a cache that says to get credit for the find, and keep your smiley, you have to discover the TB or coin. Interesting.

This certainly would be an easy way to verify that someone actually found it if you feel like that is an issue with your cache for some reason.

Ah, thus making it like a virtual even more.

edit context.

Edited by BlueDeuce

"Discovering" isn't really new, just a re-named and resurrected activity that used to happen back in the "EARLY DAYS" of Geocaching. Back then, you could "POST A NOTE" to a TB page or Geocoin page, and it went into your numbers count.

I forget the reasoning, but that option went away, along with all ICONS gained in that fashion. Now it's back, called "DISCOVERING"! ;)

"Discovering" isn't really new, just a re-named and resurrected activity that used to happen back in the "EARLY DAYS" of Geocaching. Back then, you could "POST A NOTE" to a TB page or Geocoin page, and it went into your numbers count.

I forget the reasoning, but that option went away, along with all ICONS gained in that fashion. Now it's back, called "DISCOVERING"! ;)

I don't recall ever getting an icon or anything in a numbers count for a note. And the option to post a note is still available.

Dave_W6DPS