Greenfield Parks & Recreation special geocoin!

AuntieNae

Good Afternoon

Last night, USA geocoins announced our special project!

The City of Greenfield Parks & Recreation Dept (Wisconsin) is working in conjunction with our Partners (510c3) group to create a special geocoin. The release of this geocoin coincides with the 50th anniversary of our city! For every coin sold, a $1 will be donated to our Partners group which will be put towards the purchase of GPS receivers.

What will we do with these GPS receivers? I already offer Geocaching Basics workshops and rely upon the other geocachers in our area to share their unit. Having our own units, I will better be able to show a variety of units plus give a better hands on experience. Last summer, we borrowed GPS receivers and put together a day long geocaching experience at our park for the children in our playground program. The kids LOVED it and asked that we do more. Having our own units, we will be able to do just that this coming summer.

I am hoping you might consider purchasing our special geocoin knowing why we have created it. The front features our department logo and the back features our city logo with our 50th anniversary banner.

http://www.usageocoins.com/greenfield.htm

Thank you for your consideration!

AuntieNae

Great idea and cause. I reserved some last night after receiving the email.

Our local cacher group has a relationship with an area nature facility and they've heald auctions/games and other activities to help raise money to purchase GPS units for the nature facility's programs & workshops in the past. The kids who participate in these programs really enjoy the caching and orienteering workshops too!

A few notes on this coin. First here is a picture. The spelling error made it past us all but will be corrected before minting. :(

greenfield800600.jpg

Greenfield Parks Geocoin

We are taking reservations only. The coin ETA is late February to early March. No payment is due at this time so in case you are like us and still paying off those holiday credit cards! :anicute:

A few things we would like to know. Please contact us at support at usageocoins dot com instead of posting here. This is an announcment thread only. We want feedback via e-mail only to support at usageocoins dot com.

Here are a few questions we would like answered along with any comments you have.

Would you buy this type of coin knowing it supports a local park that supports geocaching? Why or why not?

Would you like to see a series of this type with a portion of the sales supporting parks that support geocaching? Why or why not?

Any particular reasons that you would or would not by this type of coin?

Any other comments?

Edited by Eric K

Any takers for helping us out here?

Thanks

AuntieNae

Would you buy this type of coin knowing it supports a local park that supports geocaching? Why or why not?

Would you like to see a series of this type with a portion of the sales supporting parks that support geocaching? Why or why not?

Any other comments?

I just sent my request for a coin and here are my thoughts... I am happy to support a cause that encourages and supports geocaching! To me that is what coins should be doing, supporting geocaching. I would much prefer to support a cause like this where they are selling their coin for a reasonable amount even after donating $1 to the cause, rather than lining the pockets of some greedy coin creator who does it mostly for the profit. I have said it before (and gotten into a couple heated exchanges) about those who charge way too much for their coins. I refuse to buy those coins and I enthusiastically put my money down for coins such as this. I don't have money falling out of my pockets so I try to be choosy about where my money goes. If the money raised accomplishes something, I try my hardest to participate (the BikeDog coin comes to mind). Thanks for doing this and I hope it encourages others to do the same.

Edited by Rubiconlwb

I just sent my request for a coin and here are my thoughts... I am happy to support a cause that encourages and supports geocaching! To me that is what coins should be doing, supporting geocaching. I would much prefer to support a cause like this where they are selling their coin for a reasonable amount even after donating $1 to the cause, rather than lining the pockets of some greedy coin creator who does it mostly for the profit. I have said it before (and gotten into a couple heated exchanges) about those who charge way too much for their coins. I refuse to buy those coins and I enthusiastically put my money down for coins such as this. I don't have money falling out of my pockets so I try to be choosy about where my money goes. If the money raised accomplishes something, I try my hardest to participate (the BikeDog coin comes to mind). Thanks for doing this and I hope it encourages others to do the same.

Yeah, what he said. :huh: IMO This type of purchase does nothing more then spread good will towards geocachers! If we donate to help spread the word about our hobby, we are better off. I just reserved 2. :D

I don't know if you want my answers or not to your questions, but in case you do...

As long as I have the cash available, I will always try to support any coin that benefits a charity or parks programs whether they are in my area or elsewhere. It's totally dependant on available money of course and if the money is available, I will always buy any reasonably priced coin to support "the fund."

Any takers for helping us out here?

Thanks

AuntieNae

Any other comments?

Would I buy one? Yes I have. The Portneuf Greenway coin. Since I'm going to have to front some funds for the coin I don't plan on buying outside this series and my normal state and country coins.

Would I like to see a series? Well I started a series with just that purpose. Would you like to be a charter member of the committee to keep the series going? Or did you want to branch out and have a second series? Personally I'd like to only see one series to keep the market from being too diluted but... anyone can do anything they want.

On the Friends of Caching series I've got a couple of emails about price. The goal is to maximize the contribution to the local park/land owner and so it's hard to figure out the price that works best until you have tried a few pricing schemes out. 3.00 of each of my coins will go to the trails organization but I didn't sell a heck of a lot of coins at 9.99. I've got another email about having multiple metals since some who do buy would buy all types. Sort of double reaching into the same pockets but... If it works it works and we may try out a coin and see if it does work (unless there are a lot of dissenting votes).

Edited by Renegade Knight