Distance Between 2 Waypoint?

MtnHermit

Is there a way inside my Garmin Venture Cx to calculate the distance between two random waypoints stored in its memory? Neither point is the home location. The manual offered no explanation, distance wasn't in the index.

Failing this is their a utility that will allow me to enter each waypoints Lat/Long to give me distance?

Second Question: In Garmin's feature table, they say the Venture will calculate area. How?

Thanks

Hermit

From the map page: menu, measure distance. Then point the arrow at the first waypoint and press enter. Then point the arrow at the next waypoint. There should be a dashed line between the two and the distance and bearing between the two should be displayed on the top right of screen. I know the area is displayed within saved tracks.

From the map page: menu, measure distance. Then point the arrow at the first waypoint and press enter. Then point the arrow at the next waypoint. There should be a dashed line between the two and the distance and bearing between the two should be displayed on the top right of screen.
Just like you said, thanks!!!

I know the area is displayed within saved tracks.
I was hoping to mark [waypoint] my property corner points and calculate the area. However if I know the 4-legs, area is pretty easy. :D

Thanks

Hermit

MtnHermit

The following directions were in a post several weeks ago pertaining to viewing driving directions when neither location is your present location. I've clarified a few of the steps from the original post. It is for a 60CSx but you should be able to do it also on your Venture Cx.

Viewing “Follow Road Directions” on GPSr between 2 points of which neither is your present location. On a Garmin 60CSx.

1. Go to Satellite page.

2. Turn off GPSr reception so it ignores the satellites (Menu > enter “Use with Gps Off”).

3. Scroll to “Map” page and create a Waypoint for your final destination. (Mark Point, Edit the Coordinates, and Rename Waypoint, etc.)

4. Tell the GPSr you are at the point you want to get directions from (your starting point). Scroll to the “Satellite” page, click on “Menu”, click on “New Location”, click on “Use Map” (Use map to pan and zoom to starting point) and click on “Enter”.

5. Plot Route by entering: (Find > Find > select final destination waypoint > Go To > Turn Demo Mode On > Follow Road > Faster Time).

6. Message will appear, “Do you want to simulate driving this route?”, click on “No”. Map screen will appear showing Route.

7. Scroll to the “Active Route” page and cycle through the directions, and you will be able to see all the mileages and turn-by-turn directions.

This allows you to view and/or give turn-by-turn directions.

MtnHermit:

You asked about finding distance between two points using just your GPSr. Use the route function and create a new route. Enter the first point then enter the second one. With the second point highlighted, it will show the distance and bearing from the first to the second.

MtnHermit

The following directions were in a post several weeks ago pertaining to viewing driving directions when neither location is your present location. I've clarified a few of the steps from the original post. It is for a 60CSx but you should be able to do it also on your Venture Cx.

Viewing “Follow Road Directions” on GPSr between 2 points of which neither is your present location. On a Garmin 60CSx.

1. Go to Satellite page.

2. Turn off GPSr reception so it ignores the satellites (Menu > enter “Use with Gps Off”).

3. Scroll to “Map” page and create a Waypoint for your final destination. (Mark Point, Edit the Coordinates, and Rename Waypoint, etc.)

4. Tell the GPSr you are at the point you want to get directions from (your starting point). Scroll to the “Satellite” page, click on “Menu”, click on “New Location”, click on “Use Map” (Use map to pan and zoom to starting point) and click on “Enter”.

5. Plot Route by entering: (Find > Find > select final destination waypoint > Go To > Turn Demo Mode On > Follow Road > Faster Time).

6. Message will appear, “Do you want to simulate driving this route?”, click on “No”. Map screen will appear showing Route.

7. Scroll to the “Active Route” page and cycle through the directions, and you will be able to see all the mileages and turn-by-turn directions.

This allows you to view and/or give turn-by-turn directions.

Thanks for your considerable effort on my behalf, but I wasn't seeking driving direction. From what I've learned the etrex Cx family operate identically to the 60/76, so if I decide to use the turn-by-turn features, this should help.

Rather I set an offset cache where I wanted to calculate the offset using waypoints. Its 260 feet. The first reply explained exactly what I needed and subsequently I discovered directions and illustrations in the manual.

Thanks

Hermit

MtnHermit

I knew the turn-by-turn driving directions weren't what you were asking for at the time, but since we were on the subject of directions I thought you might want it one day, you never know. There is so much valuable and useful information on this forum that I started keeping a notebook with copies of any useful GPS information, just so I can refer back to it in the future. Maybe it helped someone else. Oh, since you are in Colorado thought you might like to know here in Chattanooga, TN looks like we may get our 1st snow tonight, down in the valley, in 3 years. Quit hogging all the snow, send us some. Ha, Ha.

Oh, since you are in Colorado thought you might like to know here in Chattanooga, TN looks like we may get our 1st snow tonight, down in the valley, in 3 years. Quit hogging all the snow, send us some. Ha, Ha.
I don't think there is a single place in Colorado that doesn't have some snow on the ground. The foothills just west of Denver have upwards of five feet. Denver is past 40-days and counting of continous snow cover. I'm 100-miles SW of Denver and have 6-12 inches, with 2 more last night. What I'd like to do is send you some of this cold air, -11 last night and supposed to be lower tonight. :blink:

Hermit

You can calculate the area of some field, or whatever, without actually going around it, to collect a track.

If you make a direct route, from one point to another, like a fence around your property, you can then open the route details and have the GPS display the contained area.

This works in my old eTrex Vista, so I assume it will in newer units as well.

If you make a direct route, from one point to another, like a fence around your property, you can then open the route details and have the GPS display the contained area.
By a "direct route" do you mean a straight line? If that is necessary, I'm hosed. I can find exactly three corner points and guesstimate the fourth, but no way can I walk a straight line.

Turns out, subsequent to my OP, I found an area page, its not directly accessible. You have to go to Page Setup, turn on Area Page, then scroll to it by multiple clicks on the Quit Key. When I brought it up it seemed to want the GPSr on and that's as far as I went. A little less snow and a bit warmer and I'll play with area.

Thanks

Hermit

Regarding the original question of distance between 2 points.

If you are in the field,and want to use your GPSr, enter the two points as waypoints and use the method I described above. If you have a Palm OS PDA, use the program: Navigate.

If you have a PC, use the program GeoCalc as described above by S & C.

Regarding the original question of distance between 2 points.

If you are in the field,and want to use your GPSr, enter the two points as waypoints and use the method I described above. If you have a Palm OS PDA, use the program: Navigate.

If you have a PC, use the program GeoCalc as described above by S & C.

I think he said waypoints. On my 60csx you find the first waypoint and click map to move the map pointer. Then you find the second waypoint sorted by distance from map pointer. I wonder if that works on a Venture Cx.