Help Newbie decide on Hand held GPS

MarilynB

Hello, my first post and my first question...

I have been scouring this site and am still confused on which hand held to get, I am torn between a Explorist 500 and a Garmin 60csx

Now I know there is a big difference between the two in price especially after I get all the options for each.

Here are my uses, hiking/backpacking, bike riding and general exploring. I also would like something to place in the car when I go on longer trips occasionally.

It seems the 500 is a good compromise on price and features, the 60csx I can afford but I wonder if it is to much for my first hand held??? I liked the explorist 300 but I want something that I can also hook up to my computer and have updates done 300 is not capable of this nor does it have and external memory (SD).

So I know this may have been covered before so forgive me for the redundancy but just looking for something for basic hiking and navigation and also a decent (not perfect) auto GPS but with the ability to put in updates through external memory or USB and can use a cigarette adapter.

Peace

I have been scouring this site and am still confused on which hand held to get, I am torn between a Explorist 500 and a Garmin 60csx

Flip a coin, they're both great units.

I do have an observation, though: If you thing the Explorist 500 is a good choice for you, then look at the Garmin 60Cx instead of the 60CSx. The 60 Cx is a closer match to the features of the Explorist 500.

can you get a rechargeable battery pack for the 60csx?? I don;t think so but want to be sure. It would be nice to be able to just plug the unit into the wall and charge it.

The entire 60 family of Garmin GPS receivers uses "AA" size batteries. That seems to be the standard across the entire Garmin handheld line (I personally have only owned 60's, 76's and a Legend. All "AA"). Of course there are standard dry cell and rechargeable "AA" batteries. All will work (although one special high energy type you might have to take the peak charge off with a flashlight first). But there is no provision to recharge in the unit. I usually just removed them and replace with fresh batteries (and recharge later in bulk for my next outing).

Get Two!!!

Any of the handheld units are a poor choice for car use, no voice and have to add maps at extra cost.

Consider a small handheld with excellent battery life for your hiking needs. For the car, get one with built in maps, voice, plugs in/no batteries, big screen.

At todays prices, you can get excellent units for $200 each.

Hermit

I started out with the EX 300 and upgraded to the 600 for the connectivity. My personal choice would be the 500 except that I love the electronic compass that the 600 has, which means that the needle will point you in the right direction even if you're standing still. I've seen the 600 online for as "little" as $299.00 on a few sites. Hope this helps

ok, thanks that is a good point...then I am back to my origianl question the 60cx or the Explorist 500 ??? This is so confusing

Hi Marilyn,

I own both brands and I have to say I am a Garmin fan. The one big advantage that Garmin has is their superior tech support. Try giving them both a toll free call and ask questions about what you need and you'll see what I'm talking about. As far as I'm concerned tech support from the Phillipines or India stinks! At Garmin you get an american and lemme tell you it is MUCH better! My car gps is Garmin and it works well plus Garmin allows you to install that mapping software on one more compatible garmin gps. Try that with Magellan! Mapping software is expensive too plus Navteq is the best in usa.

Good Luck,

Ray

can you get a rechargeable battery pack for the 60csx?? I don;t think so but want to be sure. It would be nice to be able to just plug the unit into the wall and charge it.

My advice here is to buy inexpensive Nimh batteries with a charger and get 2 sets so you have a spare set. I do this with my digital camera. A cigarette lighter adapter is a good idea for your car so you need no batteries for driving.

Ray

Yes customer support with a language you can understand is a good point...I do hope that I don't have to call customer support very often :laughing:

The Nimh is a good idea I have to do that with a voice recorder I use I was just hoping that Garmin had the option to just plug in the unit and charge.

I do think the answer to get 2 units is correct, one for the car and one for personal use.....

Can someone answer this question...

I read many comments about being able to read the compass even when standing still...

Yes please laugh at my ignorance...but I would think I would be standing still when checking the compass always...unless driving....

I read many comments about being able to read the compass even when standing still...

Yes please laugh at my ignorance...but I would think I would be standing still when checking the compass always...unless driving....

In units w/o a compass chip, the GPSr needs two recent satellite fixes to figure out direction, from that it can determine North.

On the other hand, the compass chip senses earth's weak magnetic field to determine north, just like a classic floating needle compass. It can be affected by metal/magnetic objects, the satellite type cannot but have other gotchas.

Pick your poison. :laughing:

Hermit

I have the 500LE it's great!! Now, I haven't had the Garmin 60cx, so I can't compare as to which is better, so I am biased!! I did own the etrex, it was OK, but lost signal if the wind blew.

The 500 can be plugged into my car, it will do turn by turn (with the software purchased separately) directions in the car. I have both the rechargeable battery and the battery tray, so I can use the AAAs if I need to, I have yet to use the battery past half way though, and we did a full day of caching and mapping to and from destination!! Plugging the unit into the car adapter recharges it while powering the unit!!

I have yet to lose signal while caching even in the roughest of areas! We even took it into the local Lowe's store...never lost signal at all! Mine seems very reliable, someone was complaining in another thread that their unit seemed off because they were always something like 40'+ away from the cache...I find that I'm usually about 10'-15' from the container...not always, sometimes the Garmin etrex is closer, but I chalk that up to the cache being hidden using a Garmin!?!

PRICES OF MAPS ETC.....

Mapping software is not cheap!!! The Mapsend Topo 3D USA is regularly $150, I bought the unit with a coupon for that map software...$10!! Very good detail on the maps, very easy to download regions onto the unit or SD card...it even adds the phone numbers to all the businesses or POIs on the maps!!

Car adapter............................$20

Battery and home charger.......$20 (if I remember correctly)

I have yet to have a problem with the unit and hope to never have, this unit has been very reliable so far, and very accurate!!

edit to add: you must use the computer cord to hook up to the car or wall adapters. It seems like it cold be a pain, but it isn't too bad so far. Buy a second computer cord and keep one in the car would work, I take mine back and forth!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Ok, so I decided to go with the Explorist 500 (not LE) since it was a good compromise on price and features. It came with Mapsend Direct DVD and I plan to buy the topo map software.....soooo

How much memory (SD card) should I get to store both on the unit, I travel with work quite a bit and want to have everything already on the unit?

Thanks much