Paperless caching for novices

So we've been caching for some time now and have been on a couple of caching trips both of which found us laden down with print outs, maps etc. etc. We want this years trip to be different. We're going to the Lake District where there are far too many caches for us to cover in the few days we're there. Rather than taking an entire ream of paper with us, we have decided to go paperless if possible.

Question is how? What kit do we need: Pocket pc, PDA, New GPS? and how best do we use it and how much will it cost (we've got a few hundred to spare)

All help gratefully accepted...

(we've got a few hundred to spare)

pay me to come and i can bring all the stuff for you for each caching trip :laughing:

i started with just a pda for holding html files using the garmin handheld for the actual find

then added cachemate (do wish gsak would fit directly onto the pda but hey might as well pay twice for two bits of software)

added spoiler sync

then added memory map to the pda to help with footpaths etc

and now also a blue tooth receiver to memory map/cachenav

tbh, prefer using memory map/cachemate on the pda with garmin handheld.

Acer N50 pdas are available on Ebay at present for £120 upwards. Comes with Bluetooth and Wlan, but needs a separate GPS. Will take a 2g SD card (or perhaps even bigger, I havn't tried)

I use mine with Memory Map and GSAK generated HTML files, works great.

Bob S

Edited by Bob Smith

You can get a cheapo palm for a few quid on ebay if it's just the paper you want to get rid of.

Used with cachemate this should be a perfect soloution.

If you want mapping as well then I'd go and get a pocket PC and memory map. I already have a palm so I use fugawi and it's not at all bad. That's probably the expensive bit, and you want to have your goodies protected so you might want to buy an otterbox or an aquapak.

PS never leave home without a compass and a map that won't run out of batteries

Aii

Edited by fraggle69

Depends on the pocket.

Basic (Paperless) Palm - Cachemate - Fugawi Mapping System - Hand held GPS

Intermediate (Paperless) PDA (Other than Palm) - Cachemate - Memory Map mapping - Hand Held GPS

De Luxe (Paperless) Mio P550 (Internal GPS) - Cachemate - Tom Tom - Memory Map - Hand Held GPS

or any combination really, except Memory map will not function with Palm. Although you can add a BT-338 gps to the basic and your well away.

Each to there own and the size of their pockets!! ;):D:D