Metal Detectors?

Sagasu

In the forum discussion on caching in the snow, I've heard suggestions to be sure you create false tracks to avoid taking the fun out of the search for others, which makes sense since it's hard to wait another month or two to get out on searches. In today's forum I also heard someone suggest bringing a metal detector. Maybe this was tongue in cheek, but since my son has a good one, what are thoughts on the ethics of using one??:lol:

In the forum discussion on caching in the snow, I've heard suggestions to be sure you create false tracks to avoid taking the fun out of the search for others, which makes sense since it's hard to wait another month or two to get out on searches. In today's forum I also heard someone suggest bringing a metal detector. Maybe this was tongue in cheek, but since my son has a good one, what are thoughts on the ethics of using one??:lol:
I don't see any ethical issues. Of course, some parks don't allow them.

It was recently posted that one of our caches was found by someone with a metal detector, and I think that it was a good idea. If it's dark you take a flashlight, if it's slick you take a walking stick, and both of those things help you find the cache as well. It's just making use of the equipment at hand.

We use a metal detector during our winter caching season. It helps in finding an ammo can buried under 6 feet of snow, and when it's only 2 degrees above Zero, you want to speed up the hunt a bit. It doesn't get used during the summer, I guess I feel like it gives an unfair advantage and takes the fun out of the hunt. Many parks that ban Metal Detectors do so because there was a Civil War Battle or similar "History" thing that happened there once, and they don't want hundreds of amatuers digging around for historically important objects and turning the park into a giant sandpit.

That is interesting that some parks won't allow it. Anybody know the reason? No complaints here, i'm just super curious.

People who use metal detectors often dig holes in an effort to find what they detected.

In other words, what the post above me already said. (I have to read more carefully!)

Edit: To chastise myself.

Edited by Trinity's Crew
"That is interesting that some parks won't allow it. Anybody know the reason? No complaints here, i'm just super curious."
As a previous poster mentioned, I have seen the signs banning the use of metal detectors in or around Civil War sites. For instance, there are signs banning the use of metal detectors on Loudoun Heights, on the WV/VA border along the Appalachian Trail and this is an unimproved area just out in the woods, not at all like Gettysburg. Geocaching could be banned at some of these areas as well.

France and some other European countries either restrict or ban metal detector use throughout the entire country to prevent destruction of battle or other historic sites.

Many parks that ban Metal Detectors do so because there was a Civil War Battle or similar "History" thing that happened there once, and they don't want hundreds of amatuers digging around for historically important objects and turning the park into a giant sandpit.

Mystery solved. I guess that's why I had never heard of it before. No civil war battles in California. Only gang wars.

Thanks for all the replies. In response to the question about bans in state parks, we have heard about that before. Here in Wisconsin, the restriction is to prevent discovery of historical artifacts without state involvement to protect such finds for historical purposes, although we were once given permission to use one in a state park for a "treasure hunt" on the beach where we had planted silver dollars for our son to find using his new detector.

Edited by Sagasu

Mystery solved. I guess that's why I had never heard of it before. No civil war battles in California. Only gang wars.

don't worry - those will be designated historic sites, too, in a few generations

back on topic: sure, use a metal detector if you like - since each of us writes our own rules (ignoring, for the moment, the guidelines for placement), the only one who can say what is cheating is yourself