Paperless Caching

ADKSherpa

I was on my way to a cache when I noticed (by looking at my mapping software on a laptop) that there was a cache near the road on the way to where I was going. I had seen NO info on this cache and only had the cooridinates and the name. I decided I'd go for it. I ended up not finding it but I went on to do the same thing on the way home and found this cache.

I realize it is entirely a risk. It could be a virtual cache and I could be looking for nothing. It could be a micro (which is what ended up happening to the first one) or it could have been disabled. But I was wondering if anyone had ever done this before and how common it is. It was actually kinda fun !

I was on my way to a cache when I noticed (by looking at my mapping software on a laptop) that there was a cache near the road on the way to where I was going. I had seen NO info on this cache and only had the cooridinates and the name. I decided I'd go for it. I ended up not finding it but I went on to do the same thing on the way home and found this cache.

I realize it is entirely a risk. It could be a virtual cache and I could be looking for nothing. It could be a micro (which is what ended up happening to the first one) or it could have been disabled. But I was wondering if anyone had ever done this before and how common it is. It was actually kinda fun !

Before I put Cachemate on my PDA I used to do it all the time. Now that I have Cachemate on my PDA I still do it when I forget my PDA - at least until recently. About 2 weeks ago I started using GSAK to alter the waypoint name to indicate the size, type and terrain/difficulty level of a cache (yeah I know I'm a latecomer to this).

So now, if GC12345 is a traditional cache, small size with a terrain and difficulty rating of 2, my waypoint name becomes TS12345 22, or if GC54321 is a multi cache, regular sized with a difficulty rating of 1 and terrain rating of 4, the waypoint name becomes MR54321 14.

This way I always at least know the size and type of cache and terrain rating by looking at the waypoint name. Yeah, I still don't have the clue, but knowing what you are looking for is 90 percent of the game.

I haven't used this method since I use cachemate with a bluetooth gpsr. Can't have one without the other. Personally, I think it's very annoying as a cache owner when people do this and then post DNF logs. A recent DNF log on BOTH of my puzzle caches: "oops. out paperless caching and failed."

I understand this to mean he didn't even realize it was a puzzle cache until he got home. So, why post a DNF? The caches around here get found seldom enough as it is. Here's another log from a while back: "Being here on business I don't have the luxury of printing stuff out. Trying to be quick and dirty I write only the coordinates and clue. No wonder the neighbors were watching carefully! Hope to catch it next time I am there."

Again, the cacher was seeking one of my puzzle caches and clearly went to the posted coordinates. I can see the potential danger in this. What if the cache owner selects random coordinates for a puzzle cache that is private property?

Does anyone use a ipod to cache with I have heard about it but dont know how it works or where to get the software to do it can anyone help me with this?

pm me

I used to use my iPod for caching. It works quite nice really. Go to Paperless iPod, shows a video of how to do it using GSAK. If you have a mac, I believe Maccaching.com has a program to load it into your iPod. Really all these programs do is convert the .gpx and .loc files into vCard files to be loaded into your iPods contacts folder, and they can then be viewed by going under the Contacts section of your iPod.

I am new to caching and i want to go paperless can any on give details on a pda that i can get. I will have it in the woods so the top of the line is not what i want. What would be the min requirements for one. :lol:
Any palm will work.

A while back, I set my dad up with a used Palm V that i bought for less than $20. The unit only has 2mb of memory, but he is able to keep 500 caches in Plucker, keep a database of his caching in Cache Log Book, maintain his address book, and keep his calendar.

A response to this question:

So, why post a DNF? The caches around here get found seldom enough as it is. Here's another log from a while back: "Being here on business I don't have the luxury of printing stuff out. Trying to be quick and dirty I write only the coordinates and clue. No wonder the neighbors were watching carefully! Hope to catch it next time I am there."

The cacher's logs are their record of geocaching. The cache belongs to you - the log belongs to the cacher. If they don't post, they have no record. What type of log they post is their choice (note v DNF).

And yes, it pays to consider the bogus coord's actual location. If there's a body of water around, that's a good choice, or parking for the actual cache location if that's feasible, and doesn't give away too much about the puzzle.

The cacher's logs are their record of geocaching. The cache belongs to you - the log belongs to the cacher. If they don't post, they have no record. What type of log they post is their choice (note v DNF).

You're referring of course to the age-old debate, "I can do it because I have the RIGHT to do it."

I personally live by a different saying; how my actions affect others.

I was under the impression that private bookmarks were created for this very thing.

The user could name their unsuccessful attempts and group them all in one easy to find place.

I don't go looking for caches without looking at the cache page first because I don't want to get someone else (or myself) in trouble. Many cache pages give information that I need to know before I step foot in the area --hours of operation, property lines not to cross, places they property owner has asked people not to look, and so on. Besides that. many caches aren't at the posted coords anyway, and I don't like wasting my time.

I do carry the cache page information on my PDA, and can do a cache at a moments notice.

Cachemate, GSAK, and PQs are my friends along with a cheap used Palm iiixe.

Some of the higher numbers cachers in our area do "waypoint only" searches in order to make things more challenging. They make sure it's a traditional, but other than that all they have is the waypoint in their GPS. They usually have a PDA in the car just in case, but their first attempt is waypoint only. After you've found a few thousand this approach livens things up a bit.