Soooo...how do YOU geocache

shadenem3

Just starting out here, but I've actually mastered the art of uploading waypoints using EasyGPS. I've actually been able to find a couple of caches and I'm just about hooked.

I'm just trying to get some sort of consensus of how you people go about this. I know many of you have PDA's, wireless connections and all the high tech gadgets while some of you are like me are roughing it with just reciever and some waypoints.

My main question comes from the following;

What I've been doing is saving groups of waypoints into files arranged geographically (eg. one cities caches would go into a file, a national park may go into another file). When I upload to my GPS, I print a copy of the file (while in EasyGPS) and put it into a binder. That way I have a paper copy of everything in my reciever. This is good for scratching down notes for each cache, and also have a paper copy of LAT/LONG in case one gets changed while panning my map (which has already happened). :)

What I would like to do is this;

On my paper copy I would like to have the description of the cache and the hint that is usually provided. Cutting and pasting to a spreadsheet wouldn't be bad but I can't find a spreadsheet that will import the .gpx format. Hand-writing the hints is, as you can imagine, tooo tedious. Printing the page for the cache from geocaching.com generates far too much paper (approx. 3 pages per cache).

Any thoughts? :laughing:

I used to print the page for each cache I was interested in and keep them in a binder. If I was going on a trip, I'd have a small binder for each section of the trip. It was kind of a pain and I once lost a binder after the fact, but it worked.

Of course, now I just dump them all into my PDA.

You might want to check out a program called GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). In addition to helping you organize and filter large numbers of caches, you can select multiple caches and print a condensed printout...kind of like the "print friendly" option on a cache page, but you can seamlessly print multiple listings at once.

Also, if you ever make the leap to some type of paperless setup, GSAK can do amazing things to make that easier as well.

*Edited to expand my thought:

The condensed printout option mentioned above can really save some paper. As a test, I loaded up the 22 caches that I've hidden. It would take 18 pages to print out all 22, and if you set it to print 2 pages per sheet (like I do when I print) it would only take nine pages. Quite a reduction from 3 pages per cache!

Edited by gnbrotz

I find a cache, or a group of caches, that i'm interested in using the mapping feature. I then input the coords into my gps. I then go and look for them. Unless it is something like a puzzle cache that requires you to answer questions, then I'll print out the cache page. 99% of the time I don't know the size of the container, or have any clue about the hint. But I do read the cache page the day before, in case there is something I need to know about parking, or something of that nature. It makes things tougher than you might think, and it has come back to bite me in the rear on several occasions. But it adds to the fun :)

With PQ's and manual searching I've added a couple hundred caches to my GPSr that are located within 25 miles south of my home to about 50 miles north of my home.

This is the area I am most frequently driving about.

I don't have a PDA, but have used GSAK and other programs to add the hint to the "notes" section of the waypoint page on my GPSr.

So, if I'm out and about somewhere, have some time to kill, and if I feel like 'caching at the moment, I can check to see if there are any nearby caches I want to find.

With the PQ's, I selected caches rated 2.5/2.5 or 3/3, I don't quite recall, but anyway, I figure that most 2.5/2.5's can be found without much more than knowing the coords and the container size.

(It can really mess you up if you're looking for an ammo-can when you should be looking for a 35mm canister.)

Additionally, if I know I'll be in a certain area before I leave the house, and if I know I'll probably have a chance to do some searching, I will download some .loc or .gpx files and read some pages and pick a few in particular to look for.

Hmmm, maybe I should just check out some of those $20 PDA's on ebay........

~K

I used to print the page for each cache I was interested in and keep them in a binder. If I was going on a trip, I'd have a small binder for each section of the trip. It was kind of a pain and I once lost a binder after the fact, but it worked.

How do you dump them into your PDA?

PDA - that is the answer.

A cheap used Palm goes for around $20 on ebay - more than enough to carry a few hundred caches worth of info.

I'm usually up to date on my electronics, but having never used or needed one I have no idea what to look for. I would probably only use this for caching...but you nver know. How do they hook to the computer? Serial port or USB? My Legend is Serial and I ahve only one serial port on the desktop, which my daughter needs for her digital camera, plus it'sin the back. The laptop is USB only, and I have not found a resonable priced way to adapt serial to USB( idin't spend much time either). So any help would be great...

Thanx!!!!

Scott

1/5 of FFof5

Any of Palms with at least 8MB of memory. In your case look for one with a USB connection. You will want to get Cachemate($8) for looking up caches on the PDA. I have seen USB to srial converter cables for $25 and cheaper - check cablestogo.com or ebay.

Of course the 32MB color screen brand new low-end Palms also go for just $99 if you don't want the hassle of ebay.

How do you dump them into your PDA?

I use Plucker like explained in the link provided by BlueDeuce. The only difference is I use SunriseXP instead of Plucker's desktop application. Sunrise runs faster than Plucker and allows me to capture any pics that were on the cache pages. I still use Plucker's viewer application on my palm.

I also use Cache Log Book to record all the specifics of my cache adventures. This allows me to keed a database of all my cache hunts on my pda and helps me remember the specifics when I log my finds (or DNFs).

Edited by sbell111
... The laptop is USB only, and I have not found a resonable priced way to adapt serial to USB( idin't spend much time either). So any help would be great...
My current pda uses USB, but I do own stuff the uses serial, so I needed a adapter for my laptop. I bought a cheap Belkin adapter. You should be able to pick up an adapter cable for less than $10 (shipped) all day long on ebay.
Any of Palms with at least 8MB of memory. In your case look for one with a USB connection. You will want to get Cachemate($8) for looking up caches on the PDA. I have seen USB to srial converter cables for $25 and cheaper - check cablestogo.com or ebay.

Of course the 32MB color screen brand new low-end Palms also go for just $99 if you don't want the hassle of ebay.

You actually don't absolutely need a 8mb palm.

Some time ago, I picked up a used Palm V on ebay for my dad to use. It only has 2mb of memory, but it could keep 500 caches in Plucker, a Cache Log Book database, his calendar, and contacts.